koko

Open Chat 2

4 hours ago, koko said:

I turn my off every time I feed them now. It keeps my food out of the filter. I have it off sometimes up to an hour and it doesn't effect them at all :) 

Oh wow that’s cool! I’m always too scared to leave it off for long periods because I don’t want to kill the good bacteria. I’m just over precautious hahaha! 

Ya know what, I have the pre-filter sponge on my filter, so it never gets the chance to get in there anyway :lol3 I didn’t even think of that :doh11:

it makes me so sad to see it so slow here :( I miss having enough people for the LOTP, post whores, etc and seeing the overall activity and great posts. 

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

it makes me so sad to see it so slow here :( I miss having enough people for the LOTP, post whores, etc and seeing the overall activity and great posts. 

Me too Mikey, I miss everyone who has disappeared :( almost all the regulars who helped me when I needed it are gone

I spilled coffee all over the white shirt I'm wearing.  Bad news I'm not home but out doing errands so can't do anything about it.  Good news the coffee wasn't hot. And another good news I finished my coffee.

2 hours ago, Miss Bad Wolf said:

I can't post all the time.  I have a bizarre life.

I think all of us have seasons where we can and can’t, that’s normal. Also, sorry about the coffee spill! Not the best way to finish a cup 🤣

Still have my in laws here, fortunately today is chill now that my meeting with the school district passed (an IEP amendment for the preschooler). I hate anticipating one off meetings and appointments, I feel it takes way more brain power than reoccurring events, where I can get into a rhythm. Usually our Wednesdays have nothing but this plopped right in the middle of the day.  Booooo.

12 hours ago, Mikey said:

Oh wow that’s cool! I’m always too scared to leave it off for long periods because I don’t want to kill the good bacteria. I’m just over precautious hahaha! 

Ya know what, I have the pre-filter sponge on my filter, so it never gets the chance to get in there anyway :lol3 I didn’t even think of that :doh11:

Yeah I don’t know where most went or what happened to their tanks, but forums across the internet have seen declines in activity as people move a lot more to the socials. It is sad, but I’m always hopeful some will come back and be blood will cycle in too. 

Also yeah, pre filtering takes care of a lot! I try not to turn my canisters off, it tends to make them not want to start again. Motors like consistent running more than stops and starts. Usually it won’t hurt anything, but I’m cautious on that count since I don’t have the cash to easily replace those right now 🤭

I'm home now and been so for two and a half hours.  I'm debating if I need to do a water change tomorrow or wait for the weekend?

5 minutes ago, Miss Bad Wolf said:

I'm home now and been so for two and a half hours.  I'm debating if I need to do a water change tomorrow or wait for the weekend?

You could do both and wait until late night when you can not sleep!

5 hours ago, Miss Bad Wolf said:

Ha, I usually do it when I know I’m sitting down and nothing important will happen. Like Sunday or Monday night. If your weekends are busy or you go out a lot a weeknight might be easier to schedule more regularly, or vice versa?

this past Easter I went to a outdoor garden. Here in Miami the climate is tropical so it mostly palm trees and orchids but they had beautiful goldfish ponds and some of the largest most beautiful fan tails I have ever seen along with comets. I had forgotten how beautiful these fish are when fully grown and observed in a pond. Luckily these ponds were mostly shaded as they would boil in our sun

On 4/7/2021 at 11:37 AM, Arctic Mama said:

Also yeah, pre filtering takes care of a lot! I try not to turn my canisters off, it tends to make them not want to start again. Motors like consistent running more than stops and starts. Usually it won’t hurt anything, but I’m cautious on that count since I don’t have the cash to easily replace those right now 🤭

I don't have a canister just my old fashion HOB filters. I turn off the filter about 15 mins 2 times a day. I don't have an issue and my filters stay a lot cleaner too. No I wouldn't do that to a canister filter. That would be do hard on that kind of filter. :) 

On 4/7/2021 at 8:45 AM, FishyMandy said:

Me too Mikey, I miss everyone who has disappeared :( almost all the regulars who helped me when I needed it are gone

Yeah :( 

On 4/7/2021 at 12:13 PM, Miss Bad Wolf said:

I can't post all the time.  I have a bizarre life.

same here. With school and work, it's killer right now. 

On 4/7/2021 at 2:37 PM, Arctic Mama said:

Yeah I don’t know where most went or what happened to their tanks, but forums across the internet have seen declines in activity as people move a lot more to the socials. It is sad, but I’m always hopeful some will come back and be blood will cycle in too. 

yeah, I am not sure where they all went either, just sort of stopped posting :(. 

I feel that with my aquaclear haha! That impeller/motor are def on their last legs. The sand keeps killing the impellers and they never want to start back up again when it turns off. Granted, that motor is 11 year old haha. I have replaced the impeller twice before as well. I am hoping with the wider tank once I set up my 75, that will help it a bit and I will replace the impeller again. 

On 4/7/2021 at 6:26 PM, Miss Bad Wolf said:

I have been so bad with my maintenance on my tank :peeka it's tough finding motivation to clean it when I am bogged down with assignments and working 6 days a week. Not to mention one of those days is 6 hours of fish tank cleaning at my local pet store LOL. 

I hear you Mikey, as a health care worker in this pandemic world we live in, work can be exhausting

11 minutes ago, spider man said:

I hear you Mikey, as a health care worker in this pandemic world we live in, work can be exhausting

Oh I'm sure!! I can't even imagine. I have a few friends that are nurses and their schedules are crazy with long hours. 

I've also been dealing with the car from hell for the idk 4th year in a row now. No matter what car I get they all have issues and I'm literally going insane. It is only month 4 with this car and it's been broken since I pulled into my driveway with it. :krazy:

car issues are horrible I finally parted with my 2002 mercury cougar that I loved that had well over 200,000 miles, could no longer justify putting into money into it. The funny thing is that I junked and the amount of money I got for it was so low that I have actually seen fancy goldfish sell for more. lol....

Sorry to hear about your psychiatrist, I am a mental health professional too, hope his passing was not stress related

20 hours ago, Mikey said:

yeah, I am not sure where they all went either, just sort of stopped posting :(. 

I feel that with my aquaclear haha! That impeller/motor are def on their last legs. The sand keeps killing the impellers and they never want to start back up again when it turns off. Granted, that motor is 11 year old haha. I have replaced the impeller twice before as well. I am hoping with the wider tank once I set up my 75, that will help it a bit and I will replace the impeller again. 

That is why I do not like sand at all in with goldfish. I just use the big marble like rocks, just enough for them to play around with :)

11 hours ago, spider man said:

car issues are horrible I finally parted with my 2002 mercury cougar that I loved that had well over 200,000 miles, could no longer justify putting into money into it. The funny thing is that I junked and the amount of money I got for it was so low that I have actually seen fancy goldfish sell for more. lol....

WOW no that bad :( :yikes

My car is a 2001 and has 93K on it. It's been babied and I hope that I can keep it going for a lot longer lol

My husband’s 23 year old Saturn is at 245k miles and still going strong, but he’s had to put a lot of maintenance into it over the years. It’s a good car and he adores it, but I’d personally have traded for a new model already 😜

On 4/9/2021 at 8:02 AM, spider man said:

That's all they gave you for it :O that's crazy! 

I'm dealing with a lemon Acura. I am about ready to get lawyered up. It's been four months of torture and back and forth to the dealer that is an hour away. They already had it for 16 days but "couldn't verify" the issues even though I have documented many videos and pictures. I am waiting to hear when the district parts and service manager will be back again to see it. I have missed at least 3 college lectures now because of this not to mention I am racking up miles driving there.

16 hours ago, koko said:

That is why I do not like sand at all in with goldfish. I just use the big marble like rocks, just enough for them to play around with :)

Hmmm. I might do this idk. I really love the look of sand though, and it's one less surface o scrub algae on HAHAHA.