koko

Open Chat 2

On 3/31/2021 at 11:02 PM, Mikey said:

Hi guys! I just wanted to pop in :heart I have been soooo busy with work, school, and vehicle drama. I wish life was less hectic. I hope you all are doing well!!

Justine has an account and she's almost 8?! WOW THAT MADE ME FEEL SO OLD :thud 

lol

Hi there Mikey. Yup she's almost 8 years old. You think you feel old. ROFL

Give me Food!

0205201137c.jpg

On 3/27/2021 at 8:45 PM, Arctic Mama said:

Hi there Justine!

Herbie definitely has tumors but he’s a cutie! Happy, active fish matter more than pretty fish, IMO. 

Arctic Mama and the 6 kids!

Happy to see you! *jUSTiNE* ooh *El Spicy* fish! Why do people always talk about fish?  #@ArcticMama#@

On 3/26/2021 at 4:42 PM, FishyMandy said:

Hi Justine! I'm Mandy :)

d fish la fish. a well fish la fish a fish named Mandy. A Typing fish LOL! welcome to the Forum))))))! [echo] A new filter eh?!

On 3/28/2021 at 11:52 AM, Acro said:

Hey Justine!  Welcome to the Forum!  I had 2 cats and one recently passed away, but I'm hoping to get another cat soon, so my current cat isn't lonely.  :)   And a funny thing, I haven't had a goldfish in about 3 or 4 years but I still come on this goldfish forum!  lol  However, I hope to keep goldfish again soon, maybe in a few months after I set up my big tank.  :D

3 hours ago, koko said:

lol

Hi there Mikey. Yup she's almost 8 years old. You think you feel old. ROFL

That’s crazy! Time really does fly hahaha! 

In the past 2 weeks or so I've lost 4 fish from my tanks. Geting worried that whatever was in my  pond snuck into the tank even though I was super careful not to cross contaminate anything.

MY little Ryukin Bella, who I only got a few months ago was struggling to stay upright, she was very compact fish so I moved her to the small pond which is much shallower, but the next day I found her stuck to the pump, still alive but badly injured. Too badly injured to survive. I had to euthanize her.

My Black Moor, Hamster, Suddenly started just laying upside down on the bottom of the tank. I moved her to a QT and medicated but she died a couple days later.

Roo, My Calico Ryukin, One of my favourite fish...she just...died. Literally. I got up and checked on the tank and fed everyone at 9am. She was swimming around, no symptoms whatsoever, she ate just like normal. At 11am I glanced over at the tank and she was just lying there...dead.

Then my Calico Nymph, who I saved from been flushed 5 years ago started struggling with staying upright, she also wasnt pooping. Her belly got descended and swollen. I fasted her, I fed her peas, I used epsom, I dosed with meds. Nothing helped. It got to the stage where she couldn't right herself at all, even with help. I could see she had given up, so I let her go and euthanized her as well.

Really crushed. They were all favourites of mine. Hamster, Roo and Jupiter I all had 4-5+ Years. Jupiter had never given me any trouble. The only trouble Hamster gave me was a case of ich. Roo had popeye a few months ago.

Wow FishMandy! Sorry to hear about your losses. I went through that last year and had 75% loss of ponds fish due to algae bloom .  Hope that your recovery protocol will create best condition for your new fish. I had to completely drain and disinfect ponds to recover.

I had to do that with my ponds, Still cycling again now. 

Worried Ill end up having to restart the cycle in my main tank too, if I lose anyone else

Yes to all that you say Fishy Man: Water changes are a great tonic for our little ponds. Just today as I finished with a nearly 90+ % water change of main koi pond noted that some of my cement work still drying on filter and stream bed was being washed in pond from sudden rain showers . Although a little cement should not produce any great harm I choose prudent course and now will do another complete water change. Sounds easy yes? But to do my pond requires several hours even with good evac pumps and nice we’ll supply.up side is we now begin breed season and water changes have produced wonders for spawn activity in past times. 

I just did a big water change.  Main reason was that I wanted to switch the power strip to my new smart one which has three individually controlled outlets.  It also has three regular outlets.  I did find out 2 out of the four USB spots are also controlled by my phone and echo dot.

My main reasons to change the power strip was to have more accurate time control over the aquarium light.  Also to set a timer for the filter to turn it back on in x amount of time after I feed them.  I think the app has that function.  I don't like the filter running while they are eating.  I think it wastes food and gives the Moore more the to eat.

4 minutes ago, Miss Bad Wolf said:

I just did a big water change.  Main reason was that I wanted to switch the power strip to my new smart one which has three individually controlled outlets.  It also has three regular outlets.  I did find out 2 out of the four USB spots are also controlled by my phone and echo dot.

My main reasons to change the power strip was to have more accurate time control over the aquarium light.  Also to set a timer for the filter to turn it back on in x amount of time after I feed them.  I think the app has that function.  I don't like the filter running while they are eating.  I think it wastes food and gives the Moore more the to eat.

Nope, no timer function in the app I could find.

Man I do hate these large water changes here in the Midwest though. Back in Alaska it was dirt cheap, water and sewer was $70 flat rate. But that is not the case here - our last quarterly water bill was over $500. Now granted there are nine of us taking showers and baths on top of weekly or more water changes, but when I finally get a pond going at the place we build I know it’s gonna hurt when a big drain and refill happens 😖

My in-laws flew down from AK today for a visit so excuse any sparse activity. That plus the crabby baby takes a ton of time. Also we celebrated my oldest’s birthday today - she is fourteen and I can’t even 😫 Where did the time go?

On 4/4/2021 at 1:27 PM, Miss Bad Wolf said:

How do I delete saved posts that the system thinks I haven't posted?

I was wondering if it is possible for ms mosquito can lay her eggs into my aquarium.  I have a feeling any mosquito eggs and larvae will disappear like all the fish food I put into the water.

On similar topic, Summers tends to eat loudly.  Why does that happen?  I can hear Summers trying to eat right now.

I usually just have to make a new post that it auto saves. As for the loud eating, some goldfish just slurp?

2 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

I usually just have to make a new post that it auto saves. As for the loud eating, some goldfish just slurp?

Okay that sound like a plan.

I would ask Summers why the slurping but then I would just get requests for more food or simply being ignored.

Haha, that’s true! Goldfish are eternally hungry little tyrants ;)

On 4/3/2021 at 11:08 PM, FishyMandy said:

In the past 2 weeks or so I've lost 4 fish from my tanks. Geting worried that whatever was in my  pond snuck into the tank even though I was super careful not to cross contaminate anything.

MY little Ryukin Bella, who I only got a few months ago was struggling to stay upright, she was very compact fish so I moved her to the small pond which is much shallower, but the next day I found her stuck to the pump, still alive but badly injured. Too badly injured to survive. I had to euthanize her.

My Black Moor, Hamster, Suddenly started just laying upside down on the bottom of the tank. I moved her to a QT and medicated but she died a couple days later.

Roo, My Calico Ryukin, One of my favourite fish...she just...died. Literally. I got up and checked on the tank and fed everyone at 9am. She was swimming around, no symptoms whatsoever, she ate just like normal. At 11am I glanced over at the tank and she was just lying there...dead.

Then my Calico Nymph, who I saved from been flushed 5 years ago started struggling with staying upright, she also wasnt pooping. Her belly got descended and swollen. I fasted her, I fed her peas, I used epsom, I dosed with meds. Nothing helped. It got to the stage where she couldn't right herself at all, even with help. I could see she had given up, so I let her go and euthanized her as well.

Really crushed. They were all favourites of mine. Hamster, Roo and Jupiter I all had 4-5+ Years. Jupiter had never given me any trouble. The only trouble Hamster gave me was a case of ich. Roo had popeye a few months ago.

I'm so sorry to hear this :hug It is always tough to lose these little buggers :(

I have 3 essays and a few discussion questions that I need to work on, but the website my college uses is down. I am already drowning in enough assignments that I procrastinated on a little bit, and I was going to actually do them all tonight. The website had other plans though :doh11: . I already emailed my professors to let them know. 

I got good news about my smart power strip and timing.  I can set up Alexa to turn off the filter, wait 15 minutes then turn it back on.  Is that enough time for them to finish their food?

2 hours ago, Miss Bad Wolf said:

I got good news about my smart power strip and timing.  I can set up Alexa to turn off the filter, wait 15 minutes then turn it back on.  Is that enough time for them to finish their food?

I never turn my filter off unless it’s frozen food. 15 should be fine if you want to turn it off. 

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

I never turn my filter off unless it’s frozen food. 15 should be fine if you want to turn it off. 

I turn my off every time I feed them now. It keeps my food out of the filter. I have it off sometimes up to an hour and it doesn't effect them at all :)