Open Chat 2

koko

Here’s my tank for now. I ended up naming him Jasper. I have anubias coming and since this picture I’ve added a dwarf lily bulb (which hasn’t sprouted yet but it’s only been a day). 

Also so I have three goldfish coming this week; two baby rose tail orandas and a larger, normal oranda. We are moving in 2ish weeks and then everyone can go in the big tank. Until then it’ll be waterchange city! 

66CC53EA-F339-4E6F-BDE3-B3D80785D17F.jpeg

• Helper

Yesterday we had to make the horrible decision to let our dog, Charlie,  go. He was 16 years old and jt was clearly catching up with him, his quality of life had declined drastically. I know we made the right choice but Im still devastated and full of "what ifs" had him over half my life, since I was 14:(

• Admin
20 hours ago, FishyMandy said:

Yesterday we had to make the horrible decision to let our dog, Charlie,  go. He was 16 years old and jt was clearly catching up with him, his quality of life had declined drastically. I know we made the right choice but Im still devastated and full of "what ifs" had him over half my life, since I was 14:(

Im so sorry to hear this hun :hug Its never easy. I still have the what ifs on Odie and Mrs. Kitty. :( 

• Helper
On 4/21/2020 at 5:10 PM, Morgan'sMiracles said:

Here’s my tank for now. I ended up naming him Jasper. I have anubias coming and since this picture I’ve added a dwarf lily bulb (which hasn’t sprouted yet but it’s only been a day). 

Also so I have three goldfish coming this week; two baby rose tail orandas and a larger, normal oranda. We are moving in 2ish weeks and then everyone can go in the big tank. Until then it’ll be waterchange city! 

66CC53EA-F339-4E6F-BDE3-B3D80785D17F.jpeg

That’s really cute! Is it a 20 gallon?

• Admin

It's taken me about 5 months, but I think I fixed it. My goldfish had worms! My sponge filter got infected by worms. I had used my pond hose in my tank. Dumb thing to do. Anyway my sponge was so bad that you could see them going in and out of it. 😳

I was a bad mom and didn't notice. 😣. So I took out there sponge filter, then meds, and a lot of water changes. Then I noticed there plants had the worms on it too. So I took the plants out. I soaked them in bleach water for about 15 mins. Then rinced them and primed them. Left it over night. When I got up to see if I could put them back, to my horror the worms where still there.....So the plants are gone and today is the first day I don't see worms. 👍

• Helper
2 minutes ago, Morgan'sMiracles said:

Can fungus be treated with salt and heat? I set up the big tank today at our new apartment and I noticed Julius, my orange telescope, has a line of fungus along his dorsal fin. 😬

Are you sure it is fungus? Fluffy strings and no exposure to any outside flora or fauna in the last three or four months?

26 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Are you sure it is fungus? Fluffy strings and no exposure to any outside flora or fauna in the last three or four months?

I’m not 100% positive it’s fungus, but he has been exposed to other fish. Also I’ve only had him for 6 weeks, so who knoI s what he was exposed to before that. It could be slime coat sloughing off or a build up of it, cause he has been at the surface more often. I don’t really know. I think he is very delicate to water chemistry, and I missed a water change cause we are moving. I only noticed it cause the big tank has a light. ☹️ It looks like the dominant ray of his dorsal fin is lined with white.

• Helper

I’m going to bed soon but why don’t you start a disease thread and provide some pictures and details, I can help you a bit more.  If it isn’t fungus we don’t want to treat the wrong thing, right?

i've been wanting a ranchu for such a long time now and i finally got one on ebay for $26 USD (+shipping). his tail isn’t symmetrical, wondering if it’ll grow into being symmetrical? he’s all orange, since he’s young he still has the potential to change color, correct? his head growth looks great, but one anal fin is shorter than the other. he swims perfectly fine and is very active, i love him to death. just wondering if he’ll grow up to be normal or if his conditions are already normal!! thank you!

by the way...

if i feed him a diet of bloodworms, hikari sinking pellets, and steamed egg do you think he/she can reach a good body shape and overall health? i don't like the shape of a lionhead but it looks as if her penducle closely resembles one. i hear if you put the in 6-8 inch water it'll droop the tail a bit and make the body a bit rounder? idk plz help and give me your opinions! i personally think he/she is very cute i just want the best for em' and want him to grow big and fat! thank you!

22222222222222222222222.PNG

111111111.PNG

33333.PNG

6 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

I’m going to bed soon but why don’t you start a disease thread and provide some pictures and details, I can help you a bit more.  If it isn’t fungus we don’t want to treat the wrong thing, right?

Thanks taryl. Today’s the big move but I’ll make one tonight! 

• Helper
On 4/29/2020 at 11:40 PM, xenon said:

i've been wanting a ranchu for such a long time now and i finally got one on ebay for $26 USD (+shipping). his tail isn’t symmetrical, wondering if it’ll grow into being symmetrical? he’s all orange, since he’s young he still has the potential to change color, correct? his head growth looks great, but one anal fin is shorter than the other. he swims perfectly fine and is very active, i love him to death. just wondering if he’ll grow up to be normal or if his conditions are already normal!! thank you!

by the way...

if i feed him a diet of bloodworms, hikari sinking pellets, and steamed egg do you think he/she can reach a good body shape and overall health? i don't like the shape of a lionhead but it looks as if her penducle closely resembles one. i hear if you put the in 6-8 inch water it'll droop the tail a bit and make the body a bit rounder? idk plz help and give me your opinions! i personally think he/she is very cute i just want the best for em' and want him to grow big and fat! thank you!

22222222222222222222222.PNG

111111111.PNG

33333.PNG

Careful with too much protein, it can be hard on their bodies since goldfish are more herbivore than carnivore, but for grooming you fab definitely include in those protein sources with a more vegetable based pellet is a great idea.  I like Omega One better than Hikari but it’s a solid food, it just seems to make my floaters a bitch worse.

What did you name him?  

4 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

Careful with too much protein, it can be hard on their bodies since goldfish are more herbivore than carnivore, but for grooming you fab definitely include in those protein sources with a more vegetable based pellet is a great idea.  I like Omega One better than Hikari but it’s a solid food, it just seems to make my floaters a worse.

What did you name him?  

named him deku haha. i want to get into the breeding hobby, i read all about ranchu and watched almost every video on youtube. i plan to have 2-3 very large bins to raise my fry, one being deep(er) than the other two so that i can get a nice curved back. all the ones i like i'll keep in a 75 gal and i'll sell the rest? would that be a good setup? (i'd be feeding them bloodworms, repashy, eggs, duckweed, etc.

i have a few questions as to how to avoid inbreeding? is it hard to produce high quality fish by yourself because technically all of your fish come from two ranchus or...? how does that work?

• 2 weeks later...

My 5.5 after a wc with Jasper, a juvenile copper half moon plakat. 

My red crowntail cape in yesterday and he’s gorgeous 😍 I don’t have any good pictures yet but he’s much nicer than I expected. He actually doesn’t look much like the auction pictures haha.

27F5A557-BDDB-4113-9195-61E17EEEF6EA.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Helper

Oh man, we have been so busy.  My kitchen remodel is 97% done now!  Just two cabinet doors, the light fixture over the sink, and door trim into the pantry/laundry.

All that is left is master bed/bath and some odds and ends. I can’t believe it!

pics ahoy!

Before:

5DC4D6A5-48F1-4F9E-BF26-A5C5C1615D67.jpeg.64914a8f4892a94d7ae77993cbb8e6b6.jpeg

during:

3754DE5C-00DF-40BA-8806-95F44D318F60.jpeg.fcbe7770b84cb802245925a2252e348c.jpeg

After!

619E9161-9BC3-4B81-BDD2-DC78F3FA553C.jpeg.7de8cf2590a907f92a7a9af24b426a2d.jpeg

75E0DC06-45BA-4956-A2E1-D978FCA0DBFC.jpeg

Excuse the toy mess in the bottom one 😩

• Helper

They are doing well! I need to sell them,getting too big and too many.

The goldie fry is doing ok but not awesome. I've been struggling a bit and he hasnt got the attention he needed to really grow well so he is still extremely small

The Kitchen looks great Taryl!