koko

Open Chat 2

Nope, I just use acrylic or latex.

I used acrylic too I believe, its been a while lol 

My goldfish came in today! Heat is at 74, I added .1% (or .01%?) salt in the tank (1 tsp/gal). At what point is bottom sitting concerning? They’ve been in there for about 5 hours. 

Video

They may not like the change in water chemistry.  Just leave the lights off and give them a good 24 hours to acclimate and de-stress, no food or changes until at least then and see if they perk up.

They are pretty!!

My plecos have been at it again. None of the previous lot survived, these are in a tank with just their dad because he refuses to separate from them but here they are. Will see how these ones go

20200305_153805.jpg

I wish we lived in the same continent. I need another ancistrus badly!

Ha, I have no self control apparently.  I discovered our awesome local fish store I hadn’t known existed for three years (!!!) and on a whim turned my quarantine for a new algae eater into a freshwater nano.

I’ll move either one or both of the ancistrus into the main tank in a month or two, but otherwise pictures is the clown pleco hiding dead center in the middle bottom of the driftwood, and five green tiger barbs 🥳

04C0C78A-9486-461C-883F-20430CC8DA5C.jpeg

Here is another closeup of the ancistrus pair:

C469726E-CF2A-4FC9-BA46-3D7F3B2F5907.thumb.jpeg.2008ad6056b15924562d044e839410ee.jpeg

The barbs:

280A0522-6C30-4463-8872-96DB35DD5D0E.thumb.jpeg.457d69453bc231d4d4f0670939dfaf13.jpeg

And the clown pleco:

8518D6A5-C344-49F9-AF4C-2EF6242874D4.thumb.jpeg.e42b75223db8e4228ccfb1b1a0ce79db.jpeg

Bonus points if you can spot which sponge filter is the mature one and which one is unseeded 😆 It’s pretty ratty but the bacteria are well established from my healthy main tank.

Oh that looks great!  I love them

What’s the QT procedure with salt and prazi? Is prazi necessary? How often should I do wc? They’re in a 10g qt. 

Personally I only do prazi, two rounds.  Three days in, four days out, repeat next week. I only do salt if I see signs of parasites.  But I do a long quarantine, 6-ish weeks, in 78* water, and do twice daily water changes (yes, I redose all the prazi twice per day) because a ten gallon tens to foul quickly. 

Generally you water change when your ammonia crosses .25 ppm, and one is urgent if you’re solidly .5.  That has meant I have to do it twice per day in a ten gallon if the goldfish are sized, unless there is a seeded sponge filter in there already.  That can help with the ammonia processing VERY much.

Where is prazi available? I used to get bulk powder but I couldn’t find it available this time around! Should I turn up the heat? I have it set to 72 with salt. I do want to prazi them and I have a test kit so I’ll keep an eye on the ammonia. 

I just get it bulk on eBay :)

On 3/8/2020 at 12:35 PM, Arctic Mama said:

I just get it bulk on eBay :)

Could you possibly link the seller? I can’t find it! That’s where I used to get it too

So when I moved my pleco babies over to their own tank I moved a couple of pieces of driftwood from the main tank over for them. 
The night previously the goldies had spawned in the main tank, but I wasn't planning on rescuing the eggs. I saw a couple on the wood that I moved over but they didn't look like 'good' eggs. A few days after the wood was in the pleco tank I couldn't see the eggs, though I did see a bad one, I just assumed the had gone bad or the plecos had eaten them.

Today I found three little freeswimming goldie fry :rofl I wasn't planning on raising any but now that I've seen them I can't just let them be. So raising them up it is. I know my butterfly tele Papi is the mum but there were three boys chasing her that day so I don't know who ended up fathering them

So my prazi finally came in! Covid19 panic has just hit us here in Maine and everything is going crazy; stores are sold out of a ton of important products. I’m concerned that it’s gonna keep us from moving even longer! My friends are moving out next weekend and then some septic work needs to be done, but if people are too crazy, maybe it won’t get done. 

Im aiming for waterchanges 50% 2x weekly until we move but I don’t want to keep that up forever so hopefully it won’t be pushed too far back. I’ve has them with the .3 (.03?) % salt since I got them so I’m gonna remove it from the water and start prazi today. 

Its crazy here too, lots of events getting cancelled

Yes you can remove the salt for the prazi, definitely.

I’ve been sick at home for the past four days and keeping the kids quarantined with me, but I am pleased things are being shut down to protect our really huge local elderly population for a bit so medical resources don’t get overwhelmed.

I did a big WC and removed prazi last night; this morning, Charlie the orange oranda was dead. I was rushing refilling he tank cause my baby was upset 😫 I must’ve done something but I don’t know what. 

I’m sorry!  Sometimes it can be temperature shock, sometimes just a freak accident.  Really. I’d say a good third of my fish who have passed away over the years or was old age or something totally random with no symptoms I could ever see.  Frustrating, but it happens.  Hugs!

Thanks... I feel especially bad cause it was one of my husbands fish. He really liked the orandas. Eventually we will have to get another one for him cause orange fish are his favorite.