Open Chat 2

koko

• Helper

As for me, this has been another week of being sick, i managed to overdo it and get much sicker again on Friday and spend all weekend trying to fix it. Sigh.

Fish aren’t happy either, I keep having a bunch of bottom sitting and top floating even with water changes, so I’m wondering is something in the municipal supply shifted with the changing season.  I can’t manage to service my filters until my husband is back from his concrete conference (Friday, essentially, and he was gone all weekend 😓) but I’m hoping that might help if it’s a nitrate issue (it shouldn’t be, but who knows?).  There have also been some persistent floaters with the dry food I’ve been soaking, and I need to get our and buy more bloodworms to see if that alleviates it.  Repashy seems to actually make it worse.  Overall annoying issues and it’s this sort of thing that makes me want to ditch goldies in favor of a big tropical community - they’re so much less finicky and delicate!

I hate it that goldfish can be just fine and then things randomly turn with no indication as to why.  It’s so frustrating!

• Admin
Update on my fry

Lenny will be 8 weeks on Wednesday, He is about an inch long now, or just over.

The others are 6 weeks old, and slowly starting to catch up. I have 16 left. I'm feeding them about 3-5 times a day, mostly frozen foods now. Doing waterchanges every day. I want to make sure they are growing at a good pace and at the size they should be for their age so I'm willing to hear any advice, all the fry I've raised previously have stayed really small so I want these guys to get to a good size [emoji4] I'll probably set up a couple of tubs outside soon for the non keepers and move the keepers (four of them) to the 15g tank.
Right now 13 of them are in the 15g and 4 of them are in the 5g. Both tanks have cycled sponge filters.

Here are some pictures
IMG_0640.jpg.db7070ede55a65b8a54efbdfa93f8b9d.jpg
IMG_0641.jpg.673c84262a6f3a1f69b769e02612c327.jpg
IMG_0643.jpg.833f54ed1101aac84011f5056ed3ea3b.jpg
IMG_0644.jpg.eb85fc60a2b94f6b0eb12edeb8eedf9f.jpg
IMG_0650.jpg.ccc049398444e0dbf3da5553371a93d0.jpg
IMG_0660.jpg.dc0ebe6c50b5e5715dfdd36a7b35d53b.jpg
IMG_0684.jpg.00dfd50f800d6760deaa3238a68bba2e.jpg
One thing I learned is to feed the live brine shrimp till the can eat small pellet sized food. My second batch got much bigger faster because I feed them live food till I put them into a kiddy pool. Then I feed then crushed bug bites and frozen brine shrimp.
I have 4 of the last batch in my pond now. So we shall see them in the spring I hope [emoji5]
Hope that helps[emoji5]

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

• Admin
As for me, this has been another week of being sick, i managed to overdo it and get much sicker again on Friday and spend all weekend trying to fix it. Sigh.
Fish aren’t happy either, I keep having a bunch of bottom sitting and top floating even with water changes, so I’m wondering is something in the municipal supply shifted with the changing season.  I can’t manage to service my filters until my husband is back from his concrete conference (Friday, essentially, and he was gone all weekend [emoji29]) but I’m hoping that might help if it’s a nitrate issue (it shouldn’t be, but who knows?).  There have also been some persistent floaters with the dry food I’ve been soaking, and I need to get our and buy more bloodworms to see if that alleviates it.  Repashy seems to actually make it worse.  Overall annoying issues and it’s this sort of thing that makes me want to ditch goldies in favor of a big tropical community - they’re so much less finicky and delicate!
I hate it that goldfish can be just fine and then things randomly turn with no indication as to why.  It’s so frustrating!
I feel ya.
My girl fish is so sensitive. Twice I took her plant out for the eggs. She moped the whole time it was gone.
Then I ran out of the Wondershell, and she started to bottom sit, get red fins and white bumps. I did use Prime in there, but she wasn't happy.
The the shells came and with in 48 hours you would have never known she was like that. Plus she stopped laying egged. With in 3 days she played a bunch of eggs. I the she was getting egg bound.

• Helper

I really need to order more wonder shells, my fish are much, much happier with them in.  And I haven’t tried them with my new, harder water supply here at this place.  Hhmmmm

• Helper
2 hours ago, koko said:

One thing I learned is to feed the live brine shrimp till the can eat small pellet sized food. My second batch got much bigger faster because I feed them live food till I put them into a kiddy pool. Then I feed then crushed bug bites and frozen brine shrimp.
I have 4 of the last batch in my pond now. So we shall see them in the spring I hope emoji5.png
Hope that helpsemoji5.png

i actually haven't used live food at all this time around lol, I was hard to make such a small amount of the small amount of fry I had. But I've been feeding decapsulated brine shrimp eggs, frozen baby brine shrimp, frozen daphnia, frozen cyclops and am going to try them on the adult frozen brine shrimp tonight :D

• Helper

My Max passed away this morning :( He was struggling last night, couldn't find the energy to walk around to the other side of the room where he normally sleeps. This morning he walked outside and just passed :(  He was about 12 years old and it wasn't entirely unexpected that we'd be losing him still but still a shock. It's the first time I've had a pet that wasn't a small animal like fish, rabbit, rat etc die at home and without vet assistance :( Because he was such a big boy we couldn't bury him like we've done with every other animal we've lost, and I couldn't afford the private cremation fee to get his ashes back :( So I took a clip of his fur that I'm going to put in a locket and have his collar.

RIP Maxy Boy

Picture from his younger days

d266i9o-527caf31-cd7a-434e-8a0e-de22b7b6ef95.jpg

• Admin
i actually haven't used live food at all this time around lol, I was hard to make such a small amount of the small amount of fry I had. But I've been feeding decapsulated brine shrimp eggs, frozen baby brine shrimp, frozen daphnia, frozen cyclops and am going to try them on the adult frozen brine shrimp tonight [emoji3]
I haven't tried the decapsulated brine shrimp before. How much room are you giving them?

• Admin
My Max passed away this morning [emoji20] He was struggling last night, couldn't find the energy to walk around to the other side of the room where he normally sleeps. This morning he walked outside and just passed [emoji20]  He was about 12 years old and it wasn't entirely unexpected that we'd be losing him still but still a shock. It's the first time I've had a pet that wasn't a small animal like fish, rabbit, rat etc die at home and without vet assistance [emoji20] Because he was such a big boy we couldn't bury him like we've done with every other animal we've lost, and I couldn't afford the private cremation fee to get his ashes back [emoji20] So I took a clip of his fur that I'm going to put in a locket and have his collar.

RIP Maxy Boy
Picture from his younger days
d266i9o-527caf31-cd7a-434e-8a0e-de22b7b6ef95.jpg.4fd9648477b8792078dd51d786cb9bc0.jpg
I'm sorry he passed away. It's never easy. He looked like a sweet dog [emoji8]

• 2 weeks later...
  • Helper

Ha! Justine looks SO BIG!  And that pizza looks delicious.

Nothing new here, just super bush as per normal.  Oh, and it started freezing at night 🥶 

• Admin
On 11/2/2019 at 4:35 PM, Arctic Mama said:

Ha! Justine looks SO BIG!  And that pizza looks delicious.

Nothing new here, just super bush as per normal.  Oh, and it started freezing at night 🥶 

Justine is about the tallest in her class lol Thank you on the pizza Im learning how to make my own dough :)

started to freeze here too, the other night it actually froze the pond. I had to poke it a little to break up the ice :yikes 

On 11/2/2019 at 10:51 PM, FishyMandy said:

Wow when did Justine get that big?!

Oh about now :rofl 

She's tall and very smart I tell ya. I have to negotiate sometimes with her... Im having to make deals with her. :rofl 

• Supporter
Where did she go lol
1028191547_HDR.thumb.jpg.6879d8066f045b2446199b4f22e4f474.jpg
What what? She supposed to be little!

Man time flys.

Hey everyone [emoji112] hope you are all doing well.

Here a couple of pics of my Kid ;) lole95ef1b534fc3483152a0aba95d373f3.jpgcafc5269e8a408518dd31897e9a862c9.jpgdb4fa1e7e4036871dfefbb4275e1d5e1.jpg

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

• Admin

@Daniel E. Wow she's gotten big. How old now?

Justine sure has gotten bigger she's half as tall as Daddy now lol and she make me negotiate sometimes. Never thought I would be negotiating with a 6 year old.[emoji44]

• Helper

Suspected appendicitis, but it turns out I just have a partial placental abruption, which isn’t great.  They’re thinking that caused the pain and now we are watching it very closely to make sure it isn’t getting bigger.

• Admin
Suspected appendicitis, but it turns out I just have a partial placental abruption, which isn’t great.  They’re thinking that caused the pain and now we are watching it very closely to make sure it isn’t getting bigger.
What can cause that? Oh no!

• Helper

It can have a lot of causes, but usually it’s just shallow placental veins or mechanical trauma. We don’t know yet which one is which for me.  On the upside I’m waiting in the lobby to go home and sleep for the first time in two days.  Woohoo!

• Admin
It can have a lot of causes, but usually it’s just shallow placental veins or mechanical trauma. We don’t know yet which one is which for me.  On the upside I’m waiting in the lobby to go home and sleep for the first time in two days.  Woohoo!
Yeah!! Get some rest hun....ill be praying for you [emoji5]