Sign in to follow this  
Caretta Rose

Looking for a Canadian source of Repashy gel food

Does anyone know of a Canadian source for Repashy Gel Food?

One of my goldfish has notorious swim bladder issues and certain foods flare it up worse than others. Typically high protein (eg frozen bloodworms and some Hikari sinking pellets). He also has a bad (ANNOYING) habit of gulping from the surface which I haven't been able to curb. The other fish is 100% fine and it has been frustrating trying to come up with a balance of food for both with one being so sensitive.

I want to try out the gel foods because I think it will help my sensitive little bugger. If anyone knows of a good source, please let me know.

I also wouldn't be opposed to making my own gel foods as long as its not too time consuming or expensive. Any help would be appreciated immensely.

Thanks, koko!

As well, I found tithras old recipe for gel food for sensitive fishies. I think I will try that as well.

2 hours ago, Caretta Rose said:

Thanks, koko!

As well, I found tithras old recipe for gel food for sensitive fishies. I think I will try that as well.

She has some good recipes :thumbs: 

I just love using Fluval bug Bites :) 

I have tried many different foods and everything seems to upset this fish. The only things I've found that do not irritate his swimbladder are leafy greens and anything that seriously lacks protein, which isn't ideal. I think the agar agar-based gel foods may work. Now I just have to find some agar agar... 

I would hate to limit/deprive the tankmate who isn't sensitive to any of the nutritious foods. I'm still on a quest for duckweed so I can grow some and offer as a staple. I've started growing water lettuce and attempting to build a stock of it, but from what I've read goldfish don't like the leaves just the roots.

I've sourced out a few Canadian distributors of Repashy products, pricing is about the same.  The savings are if you are able to get them from our neighbours in the US, but bringing in fish food has ??? from border officials if they're on top of import regulations.  Northern Gecko is a Canadian company that I have dealt with for Repashy a few times.

One of my goldfish with SBD reacted to Solient Green, I've heard Super Green might be better for fish with SBD, so YMMV.  I'm a believer in duckweed, so it would be great to get a duckweed factory growing.  Where do you live, maybe I can send some out your way.

6 hours ago, dahling8 said:

I've sourced out a few Canadian distributors of Repashy products, pricing is about the same.  The savings are if you are able to get them from our neighbours in the US, but bringing in fish food has ??? from border officials if they're on top of import regulations.  Northern Gecko is a Canadian company that I have dealt with for Repashy a few times.

One of my goldfish with SBD reacted to Solient Green, I've heard Super Green might be better for fish with SBD, so YMMV.  I'm a believer in duckweed, so it would be great to get a duckweed factory growing.  Where do you live, maybe I can send some out your way.

I appreciate this info! I am hesitant to spend a lot of money on food products if it'll have an averse reaction with my special needs fish. I wish I could test them out first before going big.

I am in southeastern Ontario. I am honestly in disbelief I'm having such a hard time finding duckweed around here. Seems like every LFS near me just eradicates it... somehow. I guess I could wait until summer and find some outside... lol. I'm impatient! It's been 6 months of winter already!

Frogbit is considered an invasive species around these parts - I could probably find some wild sources of that and grow my own and keep it contained than in the wild. Could they eat that too? It's European Frogbit.

I don't think they will eat the frog bit. I think @shakaho might know the answer to this question :) 

On 4/1/2019 at 7:18 PM, Caretta Rose said:

I have tried many different foods and everything seems to upset this fish. The only things I've found that do not irritate his swimbladder are leafy greens and anything that seriously lacks protein, which isn't ideal. I think the agar agar-based gel foods may work. Now I just have to find some agar agar... 

I would hate to limit/deprive the tankmate who isn't sensitive to any of the nutritious foods. I'm still on a quest for duckweed so I can grow some and offer as a staple. I've started growing water lettuce and attempting to build a stock of it, but from what I've read goldfish don't like the leaves just the roots.

I can't buy duckweed locally either.  Try these sources:

https://www.pondexperts.ca/products-koi-pond/Duckweed-Floating-Pond-Plant-p3896710

https://www.amazon.ca/Exo-Terra-Water-Plant-Duckweed/dp/B0009YJ27E

On 3/31/2019 at 12:37 PM, Caretta Rose said:

Does anyone know of a Canadian source for Repashy Gel Food?

One of my goldfish has notorious swim bladder issues and certain foods flare it up worse than others. Typically high protein (eg frozen bloodworms and some Hikari sinking pellets). He also has a bad (ANNOYING) habit of gulping from the surface which I haven't been able to curb. The other fish is 100% fine and it has been frustrating trying to come up with a balance of food for both with one being so sensitive.

I want to try out the gel foods because I think it will help my sensitive little bugger. If anyone knows of a good source, please let me know.

Gulping at the surface occurs when a film of protein floats on the top.  The fish slurps this up and swallows air in the process.  In contrast, a fish eating duckweed or floating pellets grabs and dives, swallowing practically no air. 

Gel food and frozen bloodworms and the like produce the most  surface film, followed by soaked sinking pellets and then unsoaked sinking pellets.