New to the group

Jaima

Hi. My name is Jaima and I’m new to this group.  I’ve had different types of aquariums over the years.  I’ve had goldfish, tropical fish, saltwater and reef tanks.  Goldfish and reef tanks are my favorite.  After about 20 years of not having a tank I’ve decided to get back into it.  I have a 55 gallon hexagon tank. Not what is usual for goldfish.  But I’ve been getting the tank in order.  No fish yet.  I have the tank up and running.  Plants planted and currently waiting on them to get rooted well enough the goldfish will hopefully not up root them. I tried to add a picture but the file size was to large.  I’m not sure how to get it to a size that works.  

• Admin

:hi :welcome

I love the Salt water too. I had a tank years ago and it was just as much work as my goldfish lol, but I loved to watch it all day.

That tank would be great for guppies. 😊

Thanks Koko. I’ve never had guppies.  Why do you think it would be a good guppy tank?   They are very pretty. But are they as personable as goldfish?

• Admin
49 minutes ago, Jaima said:

Thanks Koko. I’ve never had guppies.  Why do you think it would be a good guppy tank?   They are very pretty. But are they as personable as goldfish?

Goldfish prefer longer tanks then Guppies. I had a guppy tank like that once before and it worked out.No they aren't as personable as goldfish. But they are fun to watch and raise, the only down fall is they breed like crazy lol.

12 hours ago, Jaima said:

Here is the picture

A34299A5-9897-4CE7-9C09-2720C22BFAE3.jpeg

Beautiful tank!  I once had a hexagon 55 gallon like that and a 46 gallon bowfront tank too.  I was going to use them for goldfish, but unfortunately, never got around to it.  When I moved, I sold those tanks.  I only ever had my 55 gallon running (and a short term 29 gallon). 

If you do keep goldfish in a 55 gallon hexagon tank, I'd suggest using only long body types like Hibuna (aka commons), Comets, Shubunkin,  Wakin, or Watonai.  You can see examples of these fish on Raingarden's website:  http://www.raingarden.us/goldfish.htm  And I suggest avoiding deep bodied fish, because a deep tank like a 55 gallon hexagon can give them swim bladder issues.

From what I've read, Angelfish Cichlids do very well in deep tanks, like your hexagon 55 gallon.

Whatever you decide, good luck and enjoy the forum!  

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 12:03 AM, Acro said:

I only ever had my 55 gallon running (and a short term 29 gallon). 

Actually, I had a 75 gallon setup for a few years after the 55 gallon.  How could I forget that!  lol

Anyway, post up some photos once you get some fish in that tank!  :D