Sign in to follow this  
Nandy

Ranchu Outdoor Housing

Hello all,

I’m new to this site, not new to the hobbie :)

I’m looking for ideas, or information on how to house Ranchu outdoor. I have 5 awesome little guys I’d love to keep out this summer. The person I’ve been buying my Ranchu from suggested I joined this Forum. I live in Portland, Oregon.

I also keep Koi, two different types of Shubunkins, and Wakin outside. 

Thank you for your response.

Please show us your pond(s).

I hope this work! I will need to the a photo where I keep my goldfish. This pond is 1,100 gals.

Fabulous pond!

For me personally, I wouldn't keep ranchus with koi... they so small, they'll probably end up as a snack or something!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Oh no, they will be going in a tub for sure. I just wanted to know how high I should keep the water. Sorry the misunderstanding. I just don’t have a pic right now of the 120 gal tub I have outside. 

IMo, keep as much water as you can in there. More water equals to more dilution of waste - thus better water quality - and to help keep down temps - depending on where you live, summer can get hot... bigger water volume helps to reduce large temp swings.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thank you Aussie! I may just keep them indoors after all. I really like these guys, and I don’t think I want to jeopardize them. I gave good lighting and they eat really feed them well, so voila! Indoors is the best me think. Thank you all!  

Goldfish do fine in koi ponds as long as the pond is big enough for the koi.  Breeders of fine goldfish often keep their stock in 12 inch deep containers.  I find these ideal, but I also have fancy goldfish thriving in my deepest ponds, which are 18 inches and 30 inches deep.

You need good predator protection for your outside pond, and shade for the summer.   Goldfish get sluggish at temperatures below 50F or above 85F,  but they perk up again when the temperature moderates.

Thank you for the insight Shakaho. Cynthia from Eastcoast Ranchu said to reach out to you and the rest of the peeps in here. :)