Sign in to follow this  
stech

How long K1 media bacteria stay alive

Installed k1 Media on DIY water bottle, awaiting cycling. Question once bacteria established and tank is cycle, during water change does some good bacteria dies, when expose to air without any water? I do 90% water changes and water level goes level the k1 fludized filter, so all K1 stop turnning and most are expose to air.

In other words how long does bacteria in k1 can stay alive without any movement and exposed to air?

What is K1 media and how do you install it?

10 hours ago, stech said:

Installed k1 Media on DIY water bottle, awaiting cycling. Question once bacteria established and tank is cycle, during water change does some good bacteria dies, when expose to air without any water? I do 90% water changes and water level goes level the k1 fludized filter, so all K1 stop turnning and most are expose to air.

In other words how long does bacteria in k1 can stay alive without any movement and exposed to air?

I went and looked at that. I would say it would be the same as the filter media in a HOB. As long as it is moist it shouldnt be an issue. If it dries out then it could have an issue and die on ya.

Sharon I believe its this stuff :)

https://diypondfilters.com/media-information/

http://koienterprise.com/Koi-Pond-Filter-Media/Kaldnes-K1-and-K3-Media-p-50.html

OK.  Kaldnes medium.  Thanks, Koko.

Please explain and show pictures of how you installed the medium.  Once nitrifiers  have established themselves in the biofilm covering the biomedium, they stick tight to the moist surface.   Unless your water changes involve removing 90% of the tank water and replacing it the next day, no healthy microbe buried in the biofilm will even detect a change in its environment.  

K1 media are placed inside DIY plastic soda bottle with holes on top and bottom.   Fluidized movement by airstone and airpump.  The container sits inside aquarium tank held down by marbles.  With more understanding I believe the microbe on the K1 should be fine, with loss of water for short time (maybe 10 to 15 minutes during water change).

3 hours ago, stech said:

K1 media are placed inside DIY plastic soda bottle with holes on top and bottom.   Fluidized movement by airstone and airpump.  The container sits inside aquarium tank held down by marbles.  With more understanding I believe the microbe on the K1 should be fine, with loss of water for short time (maybe 10 to 15 minutes during water change).

Maybe even longer. :) I wouldn't worry to much about it if your just doing a water change :) 

Wish they had those years ago :thumbs: