ypdmd

Stubborn fungus on one side of jump survivor

My large comet jumped out a month ago. When I found him, he was quite dry, but I did notice gill movement so I tossed him back in the tank. He looked like he would not recover, basically floating on his side at the top of the tank. He did show some signs of recovery, but was quickly covered with thick woolly fungus. I put him in quarantine, bumped the salt to 0.3, wiped the fungus off daily, and tried an antifungal. 

He seemed to improve a bit - the best is the photo taken on the 16th, but I was away for the week and the fungus is definitely back. I think the problem is the dead/dying tissue on the exposed area that was driest when he jumped. Just trying to keep the fungus off until he heals. He lost all of his dorsal and tail initially, but as you can see from the photos, they are growing back nicely. 

1/6

IMG_3720small.jpg

1/9

IMG_3755small.jpg

1/16

IMG_3794small.jpg

1/25

IMG_3893small.jpg

1/25

IMG_3901small.jpg

Edited by ypdmd
label photos

Please copy & paste the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems:

Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level(Tank)

Nitrite Level(Tank)

Nitrate level(Tank)

Ammonia Level(Tap)

Nitrite Level(Tap)

Nitrate level(Tap)

Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Other Required Info:

Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

Water temperature?

Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?

How often do you change the water and how much?

How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?

How many fish in the tank and their size?

What kind of water additives or conditioners?

What do you feed your fish and how often?

Any new fish added to the tank?

Any medications added to the tank?

List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

"If copy and paste doesn't work for you, quote this post and put your answers after each question."

That is some nasty Fungus. You could try two things to help :) IMO :)

1. Colloidal Silver you can get it from a health food store or on Amazon. At least 500PPM :)

2. You could try Meth Blue 

https://www.thesprucepets.com/methylene-blue-1379926

I’d do meth blue if you haven’t already.  And yes, in case this advice doesn’t work please give us as many details in the diagnostic form above as possible, so we can ascertain what else could be going on or what may have prompted the jumping out to begin with :)

If you want to do dips three times daily, dose the methylene blue at 1 teaspoon per five gallons.  

If you’d rather keep it in the quarantine as a bath, please dose at 1 teaspoon per ten gallons.

18 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

I’d do meth blue if you haven’t already.  And yes, in case this advice doesn’t work please give us as many details in the diagnostic form above as possible, so we can ascertain what else could be going on or what may have prompted the jumping out to begin with :)

If you want to do dips three times daily, dose the methylene blue at 1 teaspoon per five gallons.  

If you’d rather keep it in the quarantine as a bath, please dose at 1 teaspoon per ten gallons.

Ill get the chemistry data up soon, but it is a 20 gallon quarantine tank that was just set up and water changed frequently. Filter is an AC 50 with foam only.
Lived with 2 other commons in a 75 gallon with an overflow into a homemade wet/dry filter.
Water temp about 53 degrees F.

In the quarantine I used salt and AP + with malachite green.

I will get some meth blue, but the dosage you provided does not say what % the solution is. 

I will be getting the kordon 2.3% from amazon.

The aquarium solutions for meth blue are standard, the Kordon is fine and the stuff I use at home.  Discontinue the salt and malachite green when doing the meth blue, and keep either dips or the bath going until symptoms have subsided.  

If you see any additional tail streaking, rapid breathing, or unusual behavior please let us know, it’s not uncommon for secondary bacterial infections to set in where the slime coat and scales have been compromised.  But as it stands the meth blue is a solid treatment and very gentle :)

I'd recommend salt dips.  These will remove the dried slime coat and probably the fungus growing in it, and also soothe the injured skin.

Follow this suggestion since the fish is not recovering rapidly:

"For greatest safety, start with 1% salt.  If the fish tolerates that level of salt for 5 minutes without tipping over, you can use 2% salt for the next dip, (usually the next day).  Do 2% dips until the fish tolerates that level for the full 5 minutes, after which you can do 3% dips."

The gills might well have suffered some damage from drying, so get as much aeration as possible.  I recommend very shallow water with airstones.

On 1/25/2019 at 4:48 PM, Arctic Mama said:

The aquarium solutions for meth blue are standard, the Kordon is fine and the stuff I use at home.  Discontinue the salt and malachite green when doing the meth blue, and keep either dips or the bath going until symptoms have subsided.  

If you see any additional tail streaking, rapid breathing, or unusual behavior please let us know, it’s not uncommon for secondary bacterial infections to set in where the slime coat and scales have been compromised.  But as it stands the meth blue is a solid treatment and very gentle :)

Unfortunately, I added the meth blue last Sunday, before testing chemistry. So I can't get an accurate read on blue water. Regardless, he has been in the blue for 5 days and not much seems changed except that the fungus is blue instead of white. How long could/should I continue treatment before trying something else?

On 1/26/2019 at 7:22 PM, shakaho said:

I'd recommend salt dips.  These will remove the dried slime coat and probably the fungus growing in it, and also soothe the injured skin.

Follow this suggestion since the fish is not recovering rapidly:

"For greatest safety, start with 1% salt.  If the fish tolerates that level of salt for 5 minutes without tipping over, you can use 2% salt for the next dip, (usually the next day).  Do 2% dips until the fish tolerates that level for the full 5 minutes, after which you can do 3% dips."

The gills might well have suffered some damage from drying, so get as much aeration as possible.  I recommend very shallow water with airstones.

Thanks, I will try this. I have been aerating with a long air stone in a full 20 long. It has been a month and he continues to recover and heal - the fungus seems to be the main problem. Should I drop the water lever to 10 gallons?

Is the fungus worsening, decreasing, or staying the same?  I’d still probably keep meth blue in the tank as a bath but the salt dips are definitely worth a try.  

On 1/31/2019 at 11:38 PM, Arctic Mama said:

Is the fungus worsening, decreasing, or staying the same?  I’d still probably keep meth blue in the tank as a bath but the salt dips are definitely worth a try.  

slooowly improving. I think

Alive, eating, swimming, pooping. Just the skin is still majorly messed up.

Scales are slow to grow back, anywhere from 1-3 months, so I’m not terribly surprised.  It sounds like you’re moving in the right direction and just need to be consistent with low stress, high water quality, good nutrition, and give it time.  Looking forward to some before and after pictures in April or so :)

still a few blue spots where the fungus is still persisting. Overall, better than before.

On 2/19/2019 at 6:54 PM, ypdmd said:

still a few blue spots where the fungus is still persisting. Overall, better than before.

How are we doing now? 

Much better, still a few persistent spots of fungus. 

Overall, headed in the right direction 

IMG_4099.JPG

Starting to look better. :) How is the fish doing? Like any bottom sitting things like that? 

no bottom sitting. A bit nose down, but active and swimming. 

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 9:08 AM, ypdmd said:

My large comet jumped out a month ago.

Hope you got a lid for that tank, or some screen for that pond!  :)

Glad the fish is doing so much better, good job helping the fish heal.  Please continue to post updates!  :D

Edited by Acro

Getting better. Interesting coloring, I wonder what color the fish will be once healed 😊

Meant to post sooner - almost 2 years since our adventure on the carpet.
Healed as well as can be expected. No scale regrowth on the left side, but otherwise healthy.

Tail is a little weird, but I guess as good as can be expected. 

IMG_3168.jpg

That's great news. 😊👍😁