Cute Blood Parrot

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/12/2018 at 9:44 PM, koko said:

WOW everyone looks happy together. :thumbs: 

Yup. She does try to eat them every now and then but her mouth is too small to eat them. Mary had some extra stress spots. I had a crappy pH swing. Gosh I hate my tap water. Her tank is at 8 pH and of course the tap is near 9. I have to buffer more. Crappy tap water sucks. 

IMG_20180914_125139~2.jpg

I saw it drop below 7 to around 6.4 in a bit over 24 hours. If left alone and not buffered, it crashes QUICK. I cannot keep any sensitive species of fish. They would die instantly. It comes from the tap at nearly 8.8 or sometimes off the charts. 

• Admin
18 hours ago, mjfromga said:

I saw it drop below 7 to around 6.4 in a bit over 24 hours. If left alone and not buffered, it crashes QUICK. I cannot keep any sensitive species of fish. They would die instantly. It comes from the tap at nearly 8.8 or sometimes off the charts. 

Thats just crazy MJ. 

Yup. My water sucks butt. Many species of fish cannot live in it at all. Goldfish do okay and Blood Parrots are pretty versatile. I think it isn't great for Betta fish though. I think it harms them. 

I have never seen it fall below 6. And I mean maybe I could, but IDK how and it sounds like a pain in the royal... Well you get it. 

• Supporter

Yeah I was just thinking a stable low PH would probably be easier on the fish than a Swingin pH. I know one of my betta tanks right now, the black water tank. Is roughly 6 pH and doing great but it is stable.

Yup. My water sucks butt. Many species of fish cannot live in it at all. Goldfish do okay and Blood Parrots are pretty versatile. I think it isn't great for Betta fish though. I think it harms them. 
I have never seen it fall below 6. And I mean maybe I could, but IDK how and it sounds like a pain in the royal... Well you get it. 

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

Bettas do better at 6 pH than 9 pH. That makes sense. I could maybe try it in a small tank, but this is not realistic for a larger tank. It doesn't swing if I buffer it but it's possible to forget or not add enough and then yeah... It can swing. 

Edited by mjfromga

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Myra!!! Hope Mary is doing well!!! Last week I decided I wanted a fish for my 55. I went to the LFS and got a BP!!!! I LOVE him or her!!! Everyone in the tank gets along GREAT!!! Yay!!! It's always a hit & miss with Cichlid's!!! She eats just fine with the rest of them!!! I will get some picture's soon!!!

3 hours ago, DawnMichele said:

Hi Myra!!! Hope Mary is doing well!!! Last week I decided I wanted a fish for my 55. I went to the LFS and got a BP!!!! I LOVE him or her!!! Everyone in the tank gets along GREAT!!! Yay!!! It's always a hit & miss with Cichlid's!!! She eats just fine with the rest of them!!! I will get some picture's soon!!!

You got one too? YAY! Aren't they great?? Can't wait to see yours. 

On 10/19/2018 at 6:34 PM, DawnMichele said:

They are such GREAT fish!!!! I just LOVE him!!!!

DSC04126.JPG

DSC04129.JPG

Here's Mary and her 6 Barbies today. All is well here. Mary is a little sweet heart. Blood Parrots are really awesome. @koko you really have to get one lol