Jump to content

Pothos question.


CaseyE

Recommended Posts

  • Admin

The only thing I have seen or heard of was a member here that had some of her Pothos plant's roots starting to rot in the tank and her fish had some issues. But I agree with the two before me. :)  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

I’ve heard cats and dogs shouldn’t eat it. Never had an issue with the fish though. I have a giant one with roots submerged in my patio pond and the fish are always hiding under it. I bet the nibble it too. Healthy as horses.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Admin
12 hours ago, happysnapper said:

I’ve heard cats and dogs shouldn’t eat it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is true too, it is toxic to cats and dogs :o 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

The oxalic acid in the leaves is one of the most widespread plant toxins.  It works very well because it irritates the mouth, causing the eater to spit it out and avoid that plant in the future.  Most people know that rhubarb leaves can make you sick, while the stems will not.  Oxalic acid concentrates in the leaves. Chew a piece of a leaf and you can see why these leaves rarely get eaten, even by bugs.

Toxic means that it causes a negative effect when eaten.  In the case of philadendrons like pothos, the negative effect is mouth irritation, drooling and spitting it out.  Here's a veterinarian's response:

https://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/4yd9m-dog-eaten-devils-ivy-scindapsus-aureus.html

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Admin
1 hour ago, shakaho said:

The oxalic acid in the leaves is one of the most widespread plant toxins.  It works very well because it irritates the mouth, causing the eater to spit it out and avoid that plant in the future.  Most people know that rhubarb leaves can make you sick, while the stems will not.  Oxalic acid concentrates in the leaves. Chew a piece of a leaf and you can see why these leaves rarely get eaten, even by bugs.

Toxic means that it causes a negative effect when eaten.  In the case of philadendrons like pothos, the negative effect is mouth irritation, drooling and spitting it out.  Here's a veterinarian's response:

https://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/4yd9m-dog-eaten-devils-ivy-scindapsus-aureus.html

 

 

You took the words right out of my mouth :thumbs: 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...