Sign in to follow this  
georgelee92

QT Eggs

I'm into my third week of quarantine, so far so good but I have a question about something.

I have a red cap 1inch in body 5g, and ranchu that's 2 inch 13g. I put them both into a 10 gallon quarantine. Ranchu wouldn't stop chasing the red cap. Eventually, I found like 30 eggs and the red cap had a bunch of torn fins due to trauma. Literally, the ranchu took a bite out of the red caps flipper fin. Basically, half of his/her right fin is missing and tail fins torn. He/she recovering after 2 weeks of separation.

My red cap is tiny, how can she be laying eggs?

Is this just spawning behavior? The red cap seemed in really bad shape, so I put a divider between them. I'm a little worried about putting this little guy with my bigger veterans in the main tank that are up to 30g.

They seem too young to be spawning as this size.

Normal spawning behavior does not include fin biting.  No they aren't too young/small to spawn, but the eggs and any fry that might hatch from them will be smaller than those produced by more mature fish.