Sign in to follow this  
GoldfishFINatics

Ranchu is fatter on one side of his body

2 hours ago, FishyMandy said:

The red doesnt sound  good at all.

Before that I would have been more inclined to try treating, now I think I would euth. 

Im sorry :(

It’s okay. I think hearing someone else share the same thought pattern as me helps to make the call, sort of like hearing from your vet that it’s best to let your dog go kinda thing. It’s hard but it helps assure you that your not wrong for wanting to end their pain and let them go peacefully. I truly appreciate all the help. Thank you

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who helped me out and shared opinions and thoughts. I am not as experienced as so many of you and I do not know nearly as much as you all do and I really appreciate you taking your time to help me sort through an issue I’ve never dealt with before. So, even though my post won’t end on a happy note I still wanted to thank y’all from the bottom of my heart.

I had been bouncing around the idea of treating her but after thinking this through, literally all day while at work, and hearing so much good advice about her condition I feel as though it’s time to say goodbye to little Sumo. We have all went through this pain and it’s never easy but I know now in my heart it’s the right thing to do.

Again thank you very much, I hope to be able to call on you guys in the future for much happier topics. 

And thank you for helping me to decide this was right.

With the way this fish looks and the suspected cause along with passing red, I don't think I would bother to medicate either now unfortunately. Very bad sign with the red from the vent. I think she's totally egg bound and a ticking time bomb. If she doesn't appear to be suffering, I would just keep water clean and let her live out her days. But that swelling looks uncomfortable and she's already floaty and not well so I don't think she will seem somewhat normal for long. Poor little booshka. She's a very pretty fish, too.

I know this sounds morbid but could you bring yourself to open up the fish if you euthanize it. I really wanted to try and confirm egg binding. If you can't do it, I understand. 

Edited by mjfromga

18 minutes ago, mjfromga said:

With the way this fish looks and the suspected cause along with passing red, I don't think I would bother to medicate either now unfortunately. Very bad sign with the red from the vent. I think she's totally egg bound and a ticking time bomb. If she doesn't appear to be suffering, I would just keep water clean and let her live out her days. But that swelling looks uncomfortable and she's already floaty and not well so I don't think she will seem somewhat normal for long. Poor little booshka. She's a very pretty fish, too.

I know this sounds morbid but could you bring yourself to open up the fish if you euthanize it. I really wanted to try and confirm egg binding. If you can't do it, I understand. 

Yikes... umm I don’t know if I’m strong enough for that I’m squeemish lol but I’ll ask my best friend if he can

You might try some epsom salt (MgSO4) to see if that helps the swelling.  Put her in a separate container and add 1 teaspoon of epsom salt per 10 gallons of water.  

29 minutes ago, shakaho said:

You might try some epsom salt (MgSO4) to see if that helps the swelling.  Put her in a separate container and add 1 teaspoon of epsom salt per 10 gallons of water.  

Do you mean like salt dip or just the qt tank?

Not a dip, a continuous bath.   Just add the epsom salt to the quarantine tank.  

21 minutes ago, shakaho said:

Not a dip, a continuous bath.   Just add the epsom salt to the quarantine tank.  

I forgot about the Epsom salt :) 

Okay,

shes in the tank with Epsom salts at 1tsp per gallon, heater set at 79, air stone, and a low flow filter with some of the original tanks media. No lights. 

Anything else y’all can think to add?

her activity level is surprisingly good in my opinion 

One teaspoon per 10 gallons.   

Why are you using a heater?   Fish do better when they experience a normal daily cycle of cooler at night and warmer during the day.  What is your typical air temperature?

I did mention epsom salt in a previous post, but didn't directly recommend it. I don't believe it'll help but worth a try. As long as the fish seems okay, I would wait things out. And whoever sold you this fish as specifically male fouled this up pretty badly lol

Edited by mjfromga

10 hours ago, FishyMandy said:

I hope the Epsom helps :)

Me too!!!!

I had a comet with a large swelling on one side of the abdomen.  She didn't look as fat as your fish because of the long body, but the swelling was enough to bend her body.  I treated her with epsom salt as above and the swelling gradually subsided, and after a month she looked normal again and she has not relapsed.  I've also had swollen fish that didn't respond to epsom.

I agree that with the new pictures it sounds like an eggbound female.  It could also be an internal tumor,  but that’s awfully fast for it to get bigger.  I’m sorry for little Sumo and hope she can get some relief from epsom salt.  If not I would euthanize, but that’s a very personal choice :(

Just wanted to update everyone on the current situation. As of now Sumo is still with me and she’s not making much progress if so it’s very minimal. I decided to go ahead with a Metro treatment for her so I made her some gel food with it. The swelling on her side does seem considerably smaller but her behavior is off and she’s spending more time floating in place then usual, maybe because she’s alone in a boring tank, maybe it’s the meds, maybe it’s shes just really sick, but she’s definitely less active. As of right now I’m not sure which way this will go but thank you all for your help and support!

On 2/16/2018 at 8:23 AM, GoldfishFINatics said:

Just wanted to update everyone on the current situation. As of now Sumo is still with me and she’s not making much progress if so it’s very minimal. I decided to go ahead with a Metro treatment for her so I made her some gel food with it. The swelling on her side does seem considerably smaller but her behavior is off and she’s spending more time floating in place then usual, maybe because she’s alone in a boring tank, maybe it’s the meds, maybe it’s shes just really sick, but she’s definitely less active. As of right now I’m not sure which way this will go but thank you all for your help and support!

:hug

Sorry for seeing this so late.

This is very similar to an issue that my Creamsicle had a few months ago.

Id wager she is definitely egg bound, and is a female. Is her belly really soft?

Read through my thread here:

Raising the temp, along with the metro i would also treat with kanamycin. Creamsicle did not improve visually during the treatment, she was still bloated. However 3-4 weeks after that i came home and she was tiny. The eggs finally passed.