Sign in to follow this  
Miss Helena

New Australian member and a quick question!

Hi all, I originally visited this wonderful forum about 10 years ago and I have just reentered the hobby.

I'm in the process of setting up a new 4ft tank with a Sunsun canister filter etc, whilst I have my three new fancies in quarantine. They are two tiny juvenile red cap orandas and a slightly larger gold and black telescope.

Their quarantine container is 70 litres and I'm doing 80% daily water changes with Prime. They appear to be doing great, are very energetic and eating well. 

One concern that I have though, is there is lots of chasing going on around meal times, with the pecking order by size. The largest and second largest also get into little "rumbles" pushing each other around in a circle. They all appear to get along fine at other times.

I've kept fancies a few times before and have never witnessed this behaviour. Is it just establishing dominance? Should it stop when they are in their proper, large tank?

Thanks in advance and I'm so happy to be part of this great website!  Helen

Welcome to Kokos Helena!!!!

Its probably just a dominance thing, I personally wouldn't worry too much - as long as everyone is eating, and fine after then I wouldn't stress. Maybe consider feeding each fish individually so there is no problems?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thanks for both of your replies, much appreciated!

On January 28, 2018 at 7:36 PM, Miss Helena said:

Hi all, I originally visited this wonderful forum about 10 years ago and I have just reentered the hobby.

I'm in the process of setting up a new 4ft tank with a Sunsun canister filter etc, whilst I have my three new fancies in quarantine. They are two tiny juvenile red cap orandas and a slightly larger gold and black telescope.

Their quarantine container is 70 litres and I'm doing 80% daily water changes with Prime. They appear to be doing great, are very energetic and eating well. 

One concern that I have though, is there is lots of chasing going on around meal times, with the pecking order by size. The largest and second largest also get into little "rumbles" pushing each other around in a circle. They all appear to get along fine at other times.

I've kept fancies a few times before and have never witnessed this behaviour. Is it just establishing dominance? Should it stop when they are in their proper, large tank?

Thanks in advance and I'm so happy to be part of this great website!  Helen

:hi and :welcome

Since they are young fish, most likely they are competing for food. And since there isn't much room for them it gets worse at feeding time. They will be a lot happier in your new 4ft long tank. :)

Love to see some photos :) 

I also love Senzeal, it sells different kinds of aquarium products such as aquarium filter, fish tank, aquarium heater and so on.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this