Sign in to follow this  
carriehays

Please help! My goldfish are turning black!

I have had two feeder goldfish for over a year now. Within the last 6 weeks I transferred them into a 5.5 gallon tank. Other than having issues keeping the tank clear they were doing fine. Approximately 3 weeks ago the led light when out in my tank but after about 2 weeks my husband was able to fix it. When he did I noticed a black spot on one of my fish. It then spread to the other fish. I did research and figured it was due to high ammonia levels and replaced most water and vacuumed the gravel, and rinsed the filter. They seemed to improve although not completely. Then within a few days the blackness spread on both fish. I recleaned the tank, put in a new filter and added an ammonia cleanser. It has not improved but has gotten worse. I’m very worried. I tried the ammonia cleanser again yesterday with no results. Can someone please help me save my fish?!cc389667255dc772156023a3c85c30f3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi and welcome to Kokos!

You will find it helpful to read our goldfish care guidelines

Youll find we reccomened 20 gallons per fish, if you cant get a bigger tank, plastic storage tubs are cheap and work great as well.

Getting ammonia means that your tank isnt cycled, so it doesnt have the good bacteria needed to break down waste. Here is some information on the cycle

Welcome to Kokos and hope your Goldfish feel better.

It got worse when you put in a new filter because the bacteria that remove ammonia were on the old filter.

You really must change all of the water daily to keep the ammonia down.

You need to get a water test kit so you can determine when you have high ammmonia.

Welcome welcome!  Those are great articles and I second the recommendation to get a test kit (very inexpensive) and keep a close eye on your ammonia.  Daily water changes will help immensely, as that is melanophore migration in the wake of ammonia burns. It may look worse before it looks better but as long as the ammonia stays low it’s a temporary side effect of the goldfish healing, not new or additional damage.