Sign in to follow this  
YesseGriffen

What is up with my Goldfish?

1 hour ago, YesseGriffen said:

And how many drops? Or just the same amount?

You take 5ml of the water to be tested and follow instructions for the test.

So put 5mL in a cup? Idk how I am not getting this, it just seems like regular testing? I am so sorry I am not getting it I just wanna make sure I am not messing up and having to do this over and over.

Hi! I just wanna Jump in really fast. That aqueon filter you have does not have the correct gallons per hour for your tank. For your tank you would have wanted minimally the aqueon quietflow 30. Right now your filter is flowing at 125 gallons per hour which isn’t too bad for the one goldfish in that size tank, but 200 gallons per hour is more ideal for your tank size.

I think an issue is that you’re cleaning the biological too often. The blue plastic pieces are you biological media. You don’t really want to touch those unless they get clogged. Cleaning too much can cause a cycle bump. How often do you replace the carbon pads? How old is the one in the filter now? And how old is the pad in the front of the filter? That’s an ammonia remover pad right?

Edited by Mikey

The carbon pads I try not to replace, unless they fall apart. But two weeks ago I did change the carbon pad for some dumb reason and it probably started the cycle again :(. And I don't know how old the carbon pad is because I just took it out of another tank. The pad is about 6 months old as old as the tank. I don't know if it's an ammonia remover. 

6 hours ago, YesseGriffen said:

So put 5mL in a cup? Idk how I am not getting this, it just seems like regular testing? I am so sorry I am not getting it I just wanna make sure I am not messing up and having to do this over and over.

1. Draw a water from the tap to fill the cup.

2. Fill your test tube up to the line (5 ml) with water from the cup.

3.  Test the pH of the water in the test tube following the directions that come with the kit. Report your results.

4. Leave the  remaining water in the cup alone for 24 hours.

5.  Repeat steps 2 and 3.

Edited by shakaho

5 hours ago, Mikey said:

Hi! I just wanna Jump in really fast. That aqueon filter you have does not have the correct gallons per hour for your tank. For your tank you would have wanted minimally the aqueon quietflow 30. Right now your filter is flowing at 125 gallons per hour which isn’t too bad for the one goldfish in that size tank, but 200 gallons per hour is more ideal for your tank size.

I think an issue is that you’re cleaning the biological too often. The blue plastic pieces are you biological media. You don’t really want to touch those unless they get clogged. Cleaning too much can cause a cycle bump. How often do you replace the carbon pads? How old is the one in the filter now? And how old is the pad in the front of the filter? That’s an ammonia remover pad right?

Hi Mikey!  Welcome back.  We are trying to figure out the strange pH situation in this tank,  so let's not worry about the filter size right now.

2 hours ago, shakaho said:

Hi Mikey!  Welcome back.  We are trying to figure out the strange pH situation in this tank,  so let's not worry about the filter size right now.

Hi Sharon! How are you? :) 

okay! Sounds good! 

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

Hi Sharon! How are you? :) 

okay! Sounds good! 

I wanted to say though. Great call, I didn't even see the filter. Was focused on the PH. :)

:welcome back @Mikey

So, the ph is still the same after I did that test you told me to do

First test - PH - 7.6

AFTER 24 hours  - PH - 7.6

But the ph in the goldfish tank did go up last time I checked it.

17 minutes ago, YesseGriffen said:

So, the ph is still the same after I did that test you told me to do

First test - PH - 7.6

AFTER 24 hours  - PH - 7.6

But the ph in the goldfish tank did go up last time I checked it.

okay this looks like the rocks are messing with your ph. You said it was Live rock? like for salt water tanks?

Lice rock, and sorry for late response. Lice rock for freshwater. Well now that I look it up I can't even find results for it... Here is a picture, I am pretty sure it was called something like lice rock, I haven't bought it in a while forgot the name I guess.

It normally is white, but most of this was in a tank that I used some medication on.

IMG_20171221_172658.jpg

Edited by YesseGriffen
Add picture

2 hours ago, YesseGriffen said:

Lice rock, and sorry for late response. Lice rock for freshwater. Well now that I look it up I can't even find results for it... Here is a picture, I am pretty sure it was called something like lice rock, I haven't bought it in a while forgot the name I guess.

It normally is white, but most of this was in a tank that I used some medication on.

IMG_20171221_172658.jpg

I have never heard of lice rock at all. I have heard of live rock and that is for saltwater tanks. It can mess with your ph very easily :o 

That lace rock looks perfect for tearing fins.

20 hours ago, YesseGriffen said:

IMG_20171221_172658.jpg

Okay thats lace/lava rock and isn't good for goldfish at all as it will rip there fins if they rub on that rock. 

If it was me with all this, I would take out the lava rock and and much of the gravel you can. Goldfish don't need all that tank stuff in fact when you do, you have less water volume than just a bare tank.

I would also consider a bigger filter too.

Took the rock out. I don't have too much gravel in there. The goldfish wasn't my first fish in the tank and I thought I had way too little gravel in it. But if I need to remove some I will probably do it.  Note in the past week or so I have seen him go up to the top of the tank and grab food it looked like. Every time I walk into the room he is normally always in a new position. Here is a 10 sec clip on the goldfish just hanging out, if this shows anything. (Btw the loud filter in the background is my 55 gallon)

https://streamable.com/gf56e

1 hour ago, YesseGriffen said:

Took the rock out. I don't have too much gravel in there. The goldfish wasn't my first fish in the tank and I thought I had way too little gravel in it. But if I need to remove some I will probably do it.  Note in the past week or so I have seen him go up to the top of the tank and grab food it looked like. Every time I walk into the room he is normally always in a new position. Here is a 10 sec clip on the goldfish just hanging out, if this shows anything. (Btw the loud filter in the background is my 55 gallon)

https://streamable.com/gf56e

From that video you do have a lot of gravel in there :(

I would also consider getting a bigger filter. Once you have done that the other thing this fish needs is Prazi. Have you ever Prazied the fish? 

Never heard of Prazi, so no. I could probably take out more gravel but I don't know about the new filter. I will try Prazi if you want me too.

I honestly can't say I see what good Prazi will do a super old, bottom sitting fish. I highly doubt it makes a difference. The fish is old, and is suffering from likely pH swings, and who knows what else. Again you need to report your KH. Reporting your pH only doesn't help us understand WHY it's there. 

10 hours ago, mjfromga said:

I honestly can't say I see what good Prazi will do a super old, bottom sitting fish. I highly doubt it makes a difference. The fish is old, and is suffering from likely pH swings, and who knows what else. Again you need to report your KH. Reporting your pH only doesn't help us understand WHY it's there. 

I don't know if this fish is really that old. Ph swings we might have. I agree we do need a KH test done too.

But If this fish has never been in a prazi it could be filled with bad guys. :( 

First thing I would like to see is the gravel mostly gone and just a nice clean tank. Also a bigger filter :) 

Didn't she say the fish is over 10 years old? And from what I can see, it's a fancy type. If both those things are true, this is one OLD fish. It could have many parasites but you'd think after all this time, it wouldn't suddenly become symptomatic due to such. More likely some sort of water quality issue exists that its reacting to, or its very old and inactive. Nothing much else can be done if that's the case. 

2 hours ago, mjfromga said:

Didn't she say the fish is over 10 years old? And from what I can see, it's a fancy type. If both those things are true, this is one OLD fish. It could have many parasites but you'd think after all this time, it wouldn't suddenly become symptomatic due to such. More likely some sort of water quality issue exists that its reacting to, or its very old and inactive. Nothing much else can be done if that's the case. 

Im sorry I didn't see that at all.

Well in this case I would just take all that gravel out and let the fish be :) Just keep cleaning the water. The swim bladder might be gone. 

Yep, 10 years old and a fancy type. And from what I have heard being in a crappy tank can limit it's longevity, and from what I was saying I got this fish from a friend who kept the poor thing in a 4 gallon with blue cloudy water. I can't get KH readings simply because I don't have a tester. I am going to the fish store tomorrow because I am setting up a new tank and I am going to get plants for the tank, I could possibly get a KH tester if I remember.

On December 25, 2017 at 5:15 PM, YesseGriffen said:

Yep, 10 years old and a fancy type. And from what I have heard being in a crappy tank can limit it's longevity, and from what I was saying I got this fish from a friend who kept the poor thing in a 4 gallon with blue cloudy water. I can't get KH readings simply because I don't have a tester. I am going to the fish store tomorrow because I am setting up a new tank and I am going to get plants for the tank, I could possibly get a KH tester if I remember.

Just have them test your water some places will do this for free :) Just get some tap water and tank water. :) 

Well, I don't know if this is the main priority, because the PH seems to be stable now. He is very inactive, I was cleaning the tank a second ago and he flipped on his side from a movement in the water but has flipped back over. He is also breathing a lot more.

Edited by YesseGriffen
typo