Sign in to follow this  
thenath

Orange crush is floaty and on its side

Here are two different schedules for treatment of certain external parasites with Praziquantel. There is no particular preference over one or the other. The schedules extend to 6 rounds, which is the optimum.

PRAZIQUANTEL PROTOCOLS

A. FIVE DAY ROUNDS

Day 1: Big WC (>50%), add Prazi.  This is the beginning of Round 1.

Day 5: Big WC (>50%), This is the end of Round 1.

Day 6: Big WC (>50%),  and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 2.

Day 10: Big WC (>50%), This is the end of Round 2.

Day 11: Big WC (>50%),  and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 3.

Day 15: Big WC (>50%),, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 3.

Day 16: Big WC (>50%), and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 4.

Day 20: Big WC (>50%), but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 4.

Day 21: Big WC (>50%),  and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 5.

Day 25: Big WC (>50%),  but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 5.

Day 26: Big WC (>50%),  and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 6.

Day 30: Big WC (>50%),  but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 6.

Like this please :) 

Just to remember I don't have any filter at the moment, I probably should put it back if I have to change the water only 4 days later right?

13 hours ago, thenath said:

Just to remember I don't have any filter at the moment, I probably should put it back if I have to change the water only 4 days later right?

16 hours ago, koko said:

Here are two different schedules for treatment of certain external parasites with Praziquantel. There is no particular preference over one or the other. The schedules extend to 6 rounds, which is the optimum.

PRAZIQUANTEL PROTOCOLS

A. FIVE DAY ROUNDS

Day 6: Big WC (>50%),  and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 2.

Day 10: Big WC (>50%), This is the end of Round 2.

Day 11: Big WC (>50%),  and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 3.

Day 15: Big WC (>50%),, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 3.

Day 16: Big WC (>50%), and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 4.

Day 20: Big WC (>50%), but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 4.

Day 21: Big WC (>50%),  and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 5.

Day 25: Big WC (>50%),  but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 5.

Day 26: Big WC (>50%),  and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 6.

Day 30: Big WC (>50%),  but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 6.

Like this please :) 

If you follow this you will be being water changes every day :) 

umm i dont' get it! 

I don't see Day 2: Day3 Day 4: WC

so how is it everyday? quote <<if you follow this you will be being water changes every day :) >>

1 hour ago, thenath said:

umm i dont' get it! 

I don't see Day 2: Day3 Day 4: WC

so how is it everyday? quote <<if you follow this you will be being water changes every day :) >>

Right I wanted you to do 50% water changes every day and prazi every other day Do this for 1 week :) 

I've got to say... And I may be overextending my authority here... But that Prazi schedule is really old and IMO should not be followed. You shouldn't need 6 rounds of the medication. I don't see the point in that at all. Professional keepers don't recommend such an overuse of a medication and if the fish aren't showing signs of flukes, it's totally safe to just follow the instructions on the bottle.

Flukes are becoming even Prazi resistant and people are beginning to use Fluke-M instead. If the fish still show signs of parasites past 2-3 rounds of Prazi, it's simply time to try something else or scrape and scope the fish if possible to see what you're actually dealing with.

In addition that really isn't how you do Prazi rounds. You want to wait a few days in clean water before adding the new dose of Prazi because the eggs hatch out during this period and the next dose should kill all the hatchlings before they can turn adult and lay more eggs. 

Thanks, I will do this for a week and see how it goes!  I don't think if it's for a week they're will be an overuse as if I would follow the protocol for 30 days.  Only people that had result with it could probably debate about this protocol and that is not my case.  Thanks for both of your view Koko and Mjfromga

22 hours ago, mjfromga said:

I've got to say... And I may be overextending my authority here... But that Prazi schedule is really old and IMO should not be followed. You shouldn't need 6 rounds of the medication. I don't see the point in that at all. Professional keepers don't recommend such an overuse of a medication and if the fish aren't showing signs of flukes, it's totally safe to just follow the instructions on the bottle.

Flukes are becoming even Prazi resistant and people are beginning to use Fluke-M instead. If the fish still show signs of parasites past 2-3 rounds of Prazi, it's simply time to try something else or scrape and scope the fish if possible to see what you're actually dealing with.

In addition that really isn't how you do Prazi rounds. You want to wait a few days in clean water before adding the new dose of Prazi because the eggs hatch out during this period and the next dose should kill all the hatchlings before they can turn adult and lay more eggs. 

Thank you MJ for your input it is always welcomed. :) 

6 hours ago, thenath said:

Thanks, I will do this for a week and see how it goes!  I don't think if it's for a week they're will be an overuse as if I would follow the protocol for 30 days.  Only people that had result with it could probably debate about this protocol and that is not my case.  Thanks for both of your view Koko and Mjfromga

I would go with MJ suggested :thumbs: 

On November 5, 2017 at 2:24 PM, thenath said:

ok

How are you doing? 

H,

He's the same poor guy, he was a bit better for a week but now it seems harder for him to get up.  He's always interested in food and happy when I look at him...swimming and coming to me but as soon I"m gone he's on a corner on its side.  You can tell by looking from up that his body is longer on one side(left) at the end (where his tummy should stop it continue) ...maybe air or poop stuck internally? 

1-How long can he lives like that, is he suffering? 

2-I still only feed him peas and duckweed, is that sufficient for his need? 

3-any other suggestion?

On November 13, 2017 at 0:31 PM, thenath said:

H,

He's the same poor guy, he was a bit better for a week but now it seems harder for him to get up.  He's always interested in food and happy when I look at him...swimming and coming to me but as soon I"m gone he's on a corner on its side.  You can tell by looking from up that his body is longer on one side(left) at the end (where his tummy should stop it continue) ...maybe air or poop stuck internally? 

1-How long can he lives like that, is he suffering? 

I think if he's trying to eat he okay :)

2-I still only feed him peas and duckweed, is that sufficient for his need? 

Peas really aren't a food to feed all the time. I would go with duckweed and maybe a pellet or two here and there :)

3-any other suggestion?

The best thing for a fish like this is a very shallow tank. This helps them to be able to go up and down with little effort. It seems to me that the swim bladder is damage in some way and when he goes to relax he flips over :( 

Thanks koko, He was really happy to get a pellets!  I guess he has to live alone now in a different tank.

Is it ok that I put a fish with him once in a while for a couple of hours or that will stress the other fish.

So he's not so lonely.

Anyhow , hes actually more straitght today :)

6 hours ago, thenath said:

Thanks koko, He was really happy to get a pellets!  I guess he has to live alone now in a different tank.

Is it ok that I put a fish with him once in a while for a couple of hours or that will stress the other fish.

So he's not so lonely.

Anyhow , hes actually more straitght today :)

I would say it would be okay as long as the fish's have all been QTed :)