Sign in to follow this  
thenath

Orange crush is floaty and on its side

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) .50  (way to high)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) 20 to 40
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)0
    • * Nitrite Level(Top)0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 6 and high is 7.4 or lighter
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)7.6 and high is 8.2
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?api freshwater master test kit
      • * Water temperature? 74
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?150 gallons 3 years
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Fluval fx6
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?  Once week  50% no exception 
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?today, 2 days before  and a week ago because I saw a problem with a fish
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 adults father and mother of 9 fancies that are now 3 years old...parents about 7-8 years old
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?seachem
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?goldfish new life spectrum regular twice a day
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?no
  • * Any medications added to the tank?used salt up to .3% last week but no difference and praziquantel last week also one doze. This week quarantine orange crush and gave him metroplex 200 mg in his 10 gallons every second day since 6 days with peas and bloodworms mix with 100 mg for a tablespoon of food..water change 100% every second day with metroplex added back in. Behavior just abit better
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.prazi and salt once or twice every year..nothing since 4 years ago when nemo had dropsy and dnalex fixed him and now he is still alive youpie!
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?just abit of frayed line top of head abit paller? Tail abit frayed.especially bigger on one side..
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?staying more at bottom on one corner floating on its side except when time to eat he will moved..i don't see much of his poop..so wondered if his not blocked? Probably the ammoniac is too high.  Made the mistake to put filter floss in my fx6 on top and i think it killed the good bacteria..only assumption of course.

Hello, your help would be grandly appreciated. The quarantine tank has no ammonia and I've put a filter today aqua clear 20 with just a sponge and no media in it.  Every topic where their fish were floating on their side  died at the end so I'm scared. Wish anyone could find a topic that has a happy ending.

I've also noticed on some other fish a month  ago a small red lump on their tales.but that's another issue and the fish are behaving normally.  Sorry for my writing, Im French. Thanks 

Edited by thenath

If you could please :)

Photos or a video would help out a lot :) 

First picture before in the big tank with his brother supporting him? Alwayswith him  since he is sick and the second picture in the quarantine tank doing better but still mostly on its side.

IMG_3637.JPG

IMG_3642.JPG

He's worst than this morning..should I take off the filter..too much current? Sorry the video is blurry but you can see clearly that is not doing well :yawn his tummy seems hard and square..really constipated like?

IMG_3650.MOV

Am I correct in saying you have 11 goldfish in a 150 gallon tank?  Please read/re-read our guidelines for healthy goldfish.  Changing 50% of the water weekly works IF you provide at least 20 gallons of water per fish.  With your higher stocking level, you should change at least that much twice a week.

While the Fluval fx6, should be adequate for your tank, the presence of ammonia in your tank water says it doesn't do the job.  How often do you clean your filter and how do you clean it?

A pH of 6 in your tank when your tap reads 7.6 to 8.4 suggests that your fish experience stress when you change water and also that your tank nitrate may exceed 40ppm.  Adding baking soda to get the tank pH up to 7.5 should help, but this also indicates that you need to change more water.  

Seems like his always fighting to get upright ..he will get tired eventually 

white  stuff at the bottom of the tank

IMG_3664.JPG

IMG_3665.JPG

IMG_3666.JPG

Ok I Will change my water twice a week..as guetting bigger than that will be way too big.  I didn't expect the 9 eggs that I kept would successfully hatch.  I change my filter once a month except last month I've waited 2 months and I guess it got a told.

i feel bad but will make the change..i do feel my fish are stress when I change the water as they all gather together in a corner.

what can I do to help my little one.?

Do you know the fx6 filter? Where should I put the filter floss? In which level? Bottom middle or top? I've seen my water guetting really blurry like the cycle crash last months..I thought it was ackward..and remembered putting the floss in the bottom and the top and was wondering if that would of filtered the good bacteria and created a crash in my cycle! I usually only put it in the bottom .

Sorry so many question, I just really want to do best.  How much baking soda and at every water change?

Edited by thenath

I guess it's too late for help..will come back tomorrow. 

Any help? I'm going soon to big als a specialized place for fish...any med I should buy?

13 hours ago, thenath said:

Do you know the fx6 filter? Where should I put the filter floss? In which level? Bottom middle or top? I've seen my water guetting really blurry like the cycle crash last months..I thought it was ackward..and remembered putting the floss in the bottom and the top and was wondering if that would of filtered the good bacteria and created a crash in my cycle! I usually only put it in the bottom .

That should cause any problems with filtration. Sharon is suggesting is that you got too many fish in the tank with not enough filtration for all the fish, this is why your ammonia won't go down. There isn't enough media for the cycle to use it all.

I would suggest another filter on that tank.

Then I would like you to do is, get a gallon jug of tap water. Then test the ph both high and low with photos. Then let it set for 24 hours and test again. We want to see what your ph is doing. 

Also what is in the tank, just fish or do you have logs and such in there? 

Then the last thing I would like you to work on is finding some DuckWeed for the fish. Also Lets lower the level of the water in the tank, this will make it easier for the fish to swim. :) 

Ok thanks koko and Sharon. 

I will do that..I  have an aquaclear 120.. should that suffice or should get the big one (0ld) that came with the 150 gallon? Eheim professional 2 that I have no clue how to used that needs some parts?

the quarantine tank is a 10 gallons you want me to fill it up only the third of it?

15 hours ago, thenath said:

I change my filter once a month except last month I've waited 2 months and I guess it got a told.

What do you mean by "change my filter"?  Filter maintenance or lack of it can produce ammonia in the tank water in two ways:  

1) You don't clean your filter medium regularly.  The filter medium collects lots of debris.  Decomposing bacteria that break down this debris use lots of oxygen.  The nitrifiers that convert ammonia to nitrate need oxygen for this process.  Your tank ammonia goes up.

2) You over-clean or replace filter medium.  Replacing the medium means throwing away nitrifiers. I know that the filter came with instructions to replace filter medium regularly.  Please consider that the company that sells the filter also sells replacement medium.  I have never replaced biomedium and mechanical medium (sponges, filter pads,cartidges) usually start to fall apart after 3-5 years.  Some people want to wash their filter medium until it looks like new.  This is over-cleaning.  Some types of nitrifier colonies look brown.  Tke away the brown and you get ammonia in your tank.

We really need to know what you are doing now to be able to tell you what to change.

Please do what Koko told you about pH. 

I want you to also do something else.

1) Measure the pH in the tank.  Record this and report it to us. 

2) Then add one teaspoon of baking soda to the tank.  Wait at least a half hour, then read the pH pf the tank again.  Tell us how long it has been since you added the baking soda and the current pH.

3) Assuming the pH is less than 7.6, add another teaspoon of baking soda.  Go to instruction 2).

4) When the pH reaches 7.6, add up how much baking soda you have added and tell us.

hi Sharon,

thanks for the feedback.  Oups ive meant clean the filter not change..to clean i take a big bucket of the aquarium water and filled 2 other bucket bigger buckets. One i put all my media in it and shake them well put the dirty water in the sink refilled with aquarium water another 2 times until the water doesn't lots of debris. Then in another bucket I put the 6 sponges and anther black one and to the same things that I did with the media except 2 of those sponge will be cleaned with tap water to take more debris because I think washing 2 of them is safe..so I might be over Cleaning? Once a year I change half of my sponge and media in different time..now I know it's not in the to do list anymore.  

I just came back from 3 different pets stores including the fish place and none of them at the moment had them so I've bought haraworth plant not sure how it spell. He's not interested in it.

ive empty half of the quarantine tank and put abit of heat but he seem to do worst.

the ph in the quarantine tank low one and high one is: picture 1,2 and 3

in my main tank the low ph and high one is: picture 4,5 and 6

The oh directly taken from tap water at 9:15 pm tonight: is picture 7,8 and 9

one teaspoon of baking soda is for the 10 gallons or 150 gallons tank?

IMG_3678.JPG

IMG_3679.JPG

IMG_3682.JPG

IMG_3669.JPG

IMG_3670.JPG

IMG_3671.JPG

IMG_3685.JPG

IMG_3686.JPG

IMG_3687.JPG

Koko I do have a river log bought from a store with a real plant attach to it but took it off a week ago and its in a bucket now..I've cleaned it with a ratio of 1:9 javel : water and rince.

:teeheeobviously the teaspoon of soda goes to my main tank..Im waiting for half an hour and Willi post the result

Edited by thenath

Tank water ph after after 45 min soda

Ive just add another teaspoon

IMG_3689.JPG

Sorry another question, at the fish store he told me that if my fish its on his side that probably its too late :no: but I won't give up on him.  He told me to put epsom or pickling salt as the only ingredient in the tank, that it could help the swelling.

what do you guys think? If si how much salt in a 5 gallon of water ( remembering that I took out 55% of the 10 gallons)

15 hours ago, thenath said:

Koko I do have a river log bought from a store with a real plant attach to it but took it off a week ago and its in a bucket now..I've cleaned it with a ratio of 1:9 javel : water and rince.

:teeheeobviously the teaspoon of soda goes to my main tank..Im waiting for half an hour and Willi post the result

Okay now I see an issue. Logs really logs can make the ph of any tank go down. I would highly suggest taking it out of there. You can tie down a plant down to a pice of rock :)

But that log is making your ph go down. :( 

13 hours ago, thenath said:

Tank water ph after after 45 min soda

Ive just add another teaspoon

IMG_3689.JPG

I would add more your still in the 6.8 range. :) 

Here's the ph of my tap water after 24 hours

wow too bad the log does that

IMG_3694.JPG

My concern is orange crush is  in the quarantine tank and not improving but not really guetting worst, what should I do with him?

hes mostly completely upside down 80 % of the time until he sees me than he start swimming.

the metro doesn't seem to do anything, he poos very small bit at a time green from the peas. I only feed him two medicated peas per day.  One side of his body is longer  and hard square looking like the food is stuck there.

I change the water every second day

what is the prognostic? What can I do ?

Now thats the right blue color you want to see. Now you need to remember how much you used so you can do a water change and add the baking soda to it :)

I would also order some Wondershells too. 

Thanks koko for helping me with the other tanks, I've change the water again yesterdy and again 2 teaspoon of soda..