Sign in to follow this  
vimandvigrrrpet

Orandas with white fuzz

22 minutes ago, vimandvigrrrpet said:

Hi again.  I dont mind a good discussion!!  So no problem wirh many streams of advice.  I ti k my main problem is the amount if ammonia i have right out of the taps. The Ph out of the tap is 6.5.  So im not sure if i shoud try to adjust for that if it is the swings that are the problem. 

Low ph and high ammonia will burn them just like now. :( So we need to get the ph and kh under control so that the cycle can use all the ammonia :) 

I put the gallon of water out late last night so i will get you the new numbets on that later. 

Okay Please try and get your Kh and Gh test too. Also I need to know what you have in the tank besides the goldfish. 

The fish look way better.  They seem happy and are eating.  I am.going to have to deal with the ammonia problem though... I hope i can figure soething out... I love these little critters and i would be heartbroken if i couldnt keep them. 

And i have been cycling the 47 gallon for about a week and a half.  It is just about ready to go.

Lets get that ph figured out then work on the ammonia. 

Koko - I thin buffering with baking soda, wonder shells, and maybe even a bag of aragonite or cuttle fish bone would be wise.  I wouldn’t just rely on one buffer but a combo. Aging the water in some containers or aerating it might also be worth looking into.  Can we draw up some water in a cup and see what the pH/KH/GH are out of the tap and then after having sat out and offgassed overnight?

I willbhave to go to the lfs to get a KH test.  I think i can get into town later today.  I am.so greatdul for all your help.  These goldfish are tricky critters ...for sure...  I want them to be happy.  

3 hours ago, koko said:

I don't know if I missed it but what else is in this tank besides fish. Could you get me a photo or video of the tank :) 

I had a bunch of stuff in there...but i took it all out.  Just a few silk leaf fake plants for a hide if the want some cover.

31 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Koko - I thin buffering with baking soda, wonder shells, and maybe even a bag of aragonite or cuttle fish bone would be wise.  I wouldn’t just rely on one buffer but a combo. Aging the water in some containers or aerating it might also be worth looking into.  Can we draw up some water in a cup and see what the pH/KH/GH are out of the tap and then after having sat out and offgassed overnight?

Oh I agree. Just want to see what the kh and GH is first. But yeah we need two buffers in this tank :)

So unfortunately the lfs ony had dip steips foe the kh and Gh test.  But here are the results:

From thr tank the fish are now in.

kH 40

Gh zero

From the one gallon bucket of water from the tap that has been left out for 24 hours

Kh zero

Gh zero.

Did you need other tests as well??

9 hours ago, vimandvigrrrpet said:

So unfortunately the lfs ony had dip steips foe the kh and Gh test.  But here are the results:

From thr tank the fish are now in.

kH 40

Gh zero

From the one gallon bucket of water from the tap that has been left out for 24 hours

Kh zero

Gh zero.

Did you need other tests as well??

Well they aren't the best but we know that your KH is about 0 which isn't good. :(

If It was me I would get some Wondershells and bag of aragonite or cuttle fish bone would be wise. along with baking soda to keep the ph up there.

Wondershells I get from https://www.petmountain.com I would go with the Pond size since you have about the same size tank as mine. :) 

Screen Shot 2017-10-17 at 8.57.00 AM.png

I have crushed coral and a cuttlefish bone for my bird can i ise them in the meantime while i wait for the shells?  My lfs only had a huge bag of aragonite. It is sand so How do you use it?  Do you uae it as substrate?

I wanted to add that aragonite is also sometimes called marine sand or reef sand. It contains the hard salts that will keep your pH stable. (So to speak). If you are using rainwater for your water changes, or plan to, there will be little to no hardness in your water and you will need to add that with the long term (aragonite or shells) buffer and the short term buffer (baking soda). With aragonite sand if you choose to go that route, just add 1/2 c. Each water change and test your pH everyday. You could start a thread in the water problem section and we could guide you along there once your fish are well. 

i would hate for you to spend all that work to convert to the rainwater system and find this happening all over again. :hug

10 minutes ago, bodoba said:

I wanted to add that aragonite is also sometimes called marine sand or reef sand. It contains the hard salts that will keep your pH stable. (So to speak). If you are using rainwater for your water changes, or plan to, there will be little to no hardness in your water and you will need to add that with the long term (aragonite or shells) buffer and the short term buffer (baking soda). With aragonite sand if you choose to go that route, just add 1/2 c. Each water change and test your pH everyday. You could start a thread in the water problem section and we could guide you along there once your fish are well. 

i would hate for you to spend all that work to convert to the rainwater system and find this happening all over again. :hug

Yes that would be bad....i love these little critters and i freak out when i think they don't feel good.  Im getting the collectilng spout for the rain water today! 

You can get aragonite in the larger size. I would get crushed coral that would work I believe just as well as the sand :) Its bigger in size :) 

Good thinking @bodoba :thumbs: 

How are we doing? 

On 10/16/2017 at 1:27 PM, HNLim said:

You still remembered me?

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

May I ask why you've given up on keeping? You're obviously proud of your success so it's just an interesting question. We do not live in Asia and so comparing the quality of the fish here and the quality of the fish in Asia where the hobby is way bigger and the fish have totally different genetics doesn't really work.

My pH stays close to 9. I cannot reliably lower it and it comes out of the tap that high. I've struggled with it for a long time before I finally got it fairly stable. My fish are doing just fine now thankfully. Goldfish can adjust to a higher or lower pH than is ideal.

7 hours ago, koko said:

How are we doing? 

Hi Koko! Thanks for asking. They are sooooo much better. I think my biofilter took a hit too.  But the fish are looking really good. Eating and lots of movement around the middle of the tank.  So my deepest thanks. 

About the biofilter.  Do the products that say they add good bacteria ...do they actually work? If so which one is considered the best one?

Also i have my rain water collection system set up.  The water is only about PH 6.5.  So im wondering if it would be worth it to put some stone in the barrels that raise the ph? And of course it has only rained once since i put it together...lol. We live in a temperate rain forest here.  We get about 6 feet of rain from October to April... So no rain for a couple of days is rare...but of course just when i need it....nothin'. Im just tryimg to problem solve of big changes in the ph all the time. 

42 minutes ago, vimandvigrrrpet said:

Hi Koko! Thanks for asking. They are sooooo much better. I think my biofilter took a hit too.  But the fish are looking really good. Eating and lots of movement around the middle of the tank.  So my deepest thanks. 

About the biofilter.  Do the products that say they add good bacteria ...do they actually work? If so which one is considered the best one?

Also i have my rain water collection system set up.  The water is only about PH 6.5.  So im wondering if it would be worth it to put some stone in the barrels that raise the ph? And of course it has only rained once since i put it together...lol. We live in a temperate rain forest here.  We get about 6 feet of rain from October to April... So no rain for a couple of days is rare...but of course just when i need it....nothin'. Im just tryimg to problem solve of big changes in the ph all the time. 

Awesome that is great news.

You could do that, also put and air stone in there that would help too :) 

Glad they are doing better.