Sign in to follow this  
Akash

Pearlscale with abnormal blister like thing

Hello, I got a new pearlscale from my lfs 2 days back. I didn't have a qt at hand so keeping it in a plastic container which holds around 55-60 liters of water with a sponge filter(Sponge came from my main tank which is around 2.5 years old) The fish has some abnormal blister like things on the body. Not really sure filled with fluid or gas. I have been keeping goldfish from 4 years at least. Never heard or saw such a thing. Keeping pearlscale for the first time though. Contacted the breeder since he looked bloated and i thought of dropsy but he claimed these are high-grade ping-pong goldfish with shorter tail. Also he said if it would have been dropsy the fish would have stopped eating. But this little fella eats and poops well. I really wanna save him. Any advice/suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

Akash

IMG_20171007_144923-rlja6ois9z_v_1507389639.jpg

IMG_20171007_144928-mdrmzs4u0a_v_1507389635.jpg

We have seen this on pearlies before but if I recall there wasn’t much treatment available. Therapeutic doses of epsom salt (1/2 teaspoon per five gallons of water in the hospital tank) may improve things, if you want to give it a try.

For any further help though, we really need to know all the background health info and environmental info we can get.  Can you please completely fill out this form so we know what we are working wih?  Thank you!

Disease Diagnostic Form

Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level(Tank)

* Nitrite Level(Tank)

* Nitrate level(Tank)

* Ammonia Level(Tap)

* Nitrite Level(Tap)

* Nitrate level(Tap)

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

* Water temperature?

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?

* How often do you change the water and how much?

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?

* How many fish in the tank and their size?

* What kind of water additives or conditioners?

* What do you feed your fish and how often?

* Any new fish added to the tank?

* Any medications added to the tank?

* How long have symptoms been going on?

14 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

We have seen this on pearlies before but if I recall there wasn’t much treatment available. Therapeutic doses of epsom salt (1/2 teaspoon per five gallons of water in the hospital tank) may improve things, if you want to give it a try.

For any further help though, we really need to know all the background health info and environmental info we can get.  Can you please completely fill out this form so we know what we are working wih?  Thank you!

Disease Diagnostic Form

Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level(Tank) : 0ppm

* Nitrite Level(Tank) : 0ppm

* Nitrate level(Tank) : 20ppm

* Ammonia Level(Tap) 

* Nitrite Level(Tap)

* Nitrate level(Tap)

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? : API liquid test kit

* Water temperature? : between 21 to 23 degree celsius

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? : QT is about 15-18 gallon plastic container. Setup on the same day of the fish's arrival. Using a filter-media and water from the old tank which is 2 years old.

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? : Running a sponge filter. The air-pump capacity is 200 liters per hour. It is a SOBO air pump.

* How often do you change the water and how much? : Changing 70% daily on QT as it is less than 30 gallons.

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? : 24 hours ago.

* How many fish in the tank and their size? : Just one in QT

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? : Ocean Free De-chorinator.

* What do you feed your fish and how often? : Hikari sinking pellets twice a day 2-3 pellets each time. This particular fish is about 2 inches.

* Any new fish added to the tank? : It is the new fish that is having problems

* Any medications added to the tank? : Added METROPLEX.

* How long have symptoms been going on? : Today is the fourth day.

I have answered the questions but i highly doubt the poor fella can make it. The new bubble is on the eye this time. I just noticed this morning.

Please test your two water too, we need to see any differences between the sources.  Sometimes this blistering can be caused by water chemistry factors.  The pH is particularly important.

When did you add metro?  

How many days have you been dosing it and at what what quantities?  

Is the fish still swimming and eating?

Edited by Arctic Mama

On 10/10/2017 at 8:01 PM, Arctic Mama said:

Please test your two water too, we need to see any differences between the sources.  Sometimes this blistering can be caused by water chemistry factors.  The pH is particularly important.

When did you add metro?  

How many days have you been dosing it and at what what quantities?  

Is the fish still swimming and eating?

The fish passed away. Thanks for your time and effort. My tap water is showing a bit of ammonia. Around 0.2 ppm. Not sure how's that possible. But my MAIN tank water which is 3 days old shows no sign of ammonia. The fish are fine and eating well. Just one fish is showing black marks on fins and body which I assume is ammonia burns. I am totally lost.

3 minutes ago, FishyMandy said:

I'm sorry for your loss :(

Thanks... I hate when I am unable to save a fish. Not sure if it is my mistake or not. The fish remained with me for mere 4 days.

I don't think it was anything you did. I know how it feels, I hate losing them. But sometimes it happens despite our best efforts

Just now, FishyMandy said:

I don't think it was anything you did. I know how it feels, I hate losing them. But sometimes it happens despite our best efforts

Thanks... This really means a lot and reduces the guilt

There can definitely be ammonia and nitrate in tap water, but a mature filter will process that ammonia within a day or two of a water change; it can also be neutralized ugh a water conditioner like Prime or Ammolock.  It can be beneficial to do smaller and more frequent changes instead of big ones with that much ammonia present, to keep the tank chemistry more steady.

I’m sorry your fish passed!  Pearlscales can be very difficult to rehabilitate, especially if they begin to dropsy - organ failure seems to be an issue with them.  The good news is that s healthy one is going to thrive, they’re only delicate if they start becoming sick.  But plenty are hardy and energetic without issue.

Thanks DawnMichele. Arctic Mama, Prime is on it's way. Arriving on Monday. Got something else temporarily which claims to take care of chloramines(which produces ammonia, I guess).

Keep us updated :) and we will see if we can help.  Prime is good stuff.

Well, I know it's strange but things are under control now. The ammonia reading in my tap water is back to zero and so in my tank. I had a word with the water department, they had added some new additives to the water but discontinued that(it was sort of an experiment). Not really sure if they would do it again. Fish are normal now after the water change and the ammonia burns are disappearing as well from my fish's body. I feel a bit relaxed though. I did a test again on my tank water and the readings are as in the attached images. Nitrate is low as I did massive water changes for 2 days and tested water on the fourth day and I have few anubias in the tank.

ammonia1.jpeg

Nitrite.jpg

Nitrate.jpg

Thats great things are back to normal now! 

Hello, I got a new pearlscale from my lfs 2 days back. I didn't have a qt at hand so keeping it in a plastic container which holds around 55-60 liters of water with a sponge filter(Sponge came from my main tank which is around 2.5 years old) The fish has some abnormal blister like things on the body. Not really sure filled with fluid or gas. I have been keeping goldfish from 4 years at least. Never heard or saw such a thing. Keeping pearlscale for the first time though. Contacted the breeder since he looked bloated and i thought of dropsy but he claimed these are high-grade ping-pong goldfish with shorter tail. Also he said if it would have been dropsy the fish would have stopped eating. But this little fella eats and poops well. I really wanna save him. Any advice/suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Akash

IMG_20171007_144923-rlja6ois9z_v_1507389639.thumb.jpg.718156649d332fc394de2bb7a82a2865.jpg
IMG_20171007_144928-mdrmzs4u0a_v_1507389635.thumb.jpg.f064a08e0d136342b17a82c480961ea5.jpg
The blisters are very normal for pearlscales especially Tikus (mouse in Malay). I am attaching a video of one of my Tikus tgat i used to keep.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Yikes. Poor fish. I'm surprised they give awards to fish that cannot move. Would definitely not win anything here. Deportment is very important.