Sign in to follow this  
yubonne

Trying Snails

I've decided to try snails for my diatom issue. I've never had to deal with this. What kind do I get? How many will i need ? What size should they be so they won't get slurped up by the fish? I will be moving my one fish to a 50 gallon tank from her 15 gallon. Using the media from the old tank I'm sure will just start the process all over again. Do the snails clear up the problem permanently and what do you do with them if they do clear it out.? Do they move on to eat your plants or what? Do you move them to a tank of their own and keep feeding them or can they stay? 

Well, first you have to decide what kind of snails to get. I don't know what kind/how big your fish are, either. I have three, 17 month-old commons. I purposely introduced pest snails to help with the algae. I have a separate tank dedicated to pest snails (and one female betta). I put Malaysian Trumpet Snails in first, because I have a bowl of crushed coral they can burrow into. They did an ok job on the algae, but not great. So next, I added ramshorns. They're doing a FANTASTIC job with the algae, but every once in a while, one of my fish (Bucky, it's Bucky, he's a snailicidal maniac) will swoop in and pluck a snail right off the wall. I don't know if any of them are going to live very long, but I keep plants in my snail tank, and they do great, so I'm not overly worried that the snails will eat my plants.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I have a MagFloat magnet thingee & a long handle algae scrapper! I deal with the algae removal. If I get snails it is just to be able to watch & enjoy them....if they eat some algae it's a bonus!!!

2 hours ago, Jeana727 said:

I have a MagFloat magnet thingee & a long handle algae scrapper! I deal with the algae removal. If I get snails it is just to be able to watch & enjoy them....if they eat some algae it's a bonus!!!

I got a long handle algae scrapper too. Its called koko's arm :rofl 

:teehee

I've kept Ramshorn snails with goldfish and guppies for many years. 

As for some of your questions:

Some young ones will be eaten, but Ramshorn snails can get large enough not to be eaten, and are prolific enough that they can easily repopulate any eaten ones.  Snails (any type) will not clear up diatoms permanently (very few things will), but they will keep it in check (if kept in the aquarium) and it will look as if you don't have diatoms.  They will constantly eat diatoms but will need supplemental feedings (often left over food and fish poop) if it runs out.  If you over feed your tanks, you will have a ton of Ramshorn snails, you can keep their population in check by how much you feed.  Ramshorns will not eat your aquarium plants.  They can stay in a tank with your goldfish.

If you'd like me to set you up with some, I have been breeding Pink Ramshorn Snails.  Just send me a PM.  :D

1 hour ago, Acro said:

I've kept Ramshorn snails with goldfish and guppies for many years. 

As for some of your questions:

Some young ones will be eaten, but Ramshorn snails can get large enough not to be eaten, and are prolific enough that they can easily repopulate any eaten ones.  Snails (any type) will not clear up diatoms permanently (very few things will), but they will keep it in check (if kept in the aquarium) and it will look as if you don't have diatoms.  They will constantly eat diatoms but will need supplemental feedings (often left over food and fish poop) if it runs out.  If you over feed your tanks, you will have a ton of Ramshorn snails, you can keep their population in check by how much you feed.  Ramshorns will not eat your aquarium plants.  They can stay in a tank with your goldfish.

If you'd like me to set you up with some, I have been breeding Pink Ramshorn Snails.  Just send me a PM.  :D

What about tank load. What or how much would they add to a tank. ? 

6 hours ago, koko said:

What about tank load. What or how much would they add to a tank. ? 

That depends on how many ramshorns are in a tank, and how much they are fed, but bio-load is normally minimal.  They breed fast, but the amount of baby snails strongly depends on the amount of available food.  Ramshorns, are less active than fish, use less oxygen and often eat energy poor foods, thus have less bio-load than fish.  This info is from personal experience and from threads I've read on an aquarium plant forum.