• * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0.25ppm
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) 5.0ppm
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0.25ppm
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0ppm
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0ppm
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API freshwater master kit (drops)
      • * Water temperature? 75 F
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 10 gallon (divided), running at this point since 9/26/2017
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Aqueon Qflow10
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? Every day at this point, about a 50% change.
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Today, 50%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 small common goldfish, about 1.5-2.0 inches long
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? I use Prime to condition the water, and I put in 'seed' which is a nitrifying (?) set of beneficial bacteria sold at a small chain pet store.
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Tropical fish flakes about 1/2 times per day.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? Not since the two were added on the 26th
  • * Any medications added to the tank? No, looking for proper diagnosis before medicating.
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. I have not done anything yet, as I am not sure what disease I am looking at.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? White splotches on body and small white spots on fins. Starting to notice black streaks on the top of the caudal fin.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? No unusual behaviour noticed. 'She' is swimming around, eating almost the same as the other fish. I did have to separate the chocolate from the gold because the chocolate seemed to be picking on 'her'.

I do hope it's not too late. Also hope the pictures help. I put the little one in a small bowl and tried to get as good of pictures as I could...

Thank you so much for the help!

[I hope no one minds, but I have cross-posted this in the bettafish.com forums under other fish]

2017-09-29 22.35.32.jpg

2017-09-29 22.34.17.jpg

2017-09-29 22.34.04.jpg

2017-09-29 22.33.12.jpg

2017-09-29 22.33.00.jpg

Did you test before or after the water change?  Usually a 50% daily change will keep ammonia/nitrite down to a very low level.  I recommend that you do a 100% water change, then resume the 50% daily changes.

The amount of ammonia/nitrite you have suggests that you should feed less.  A small pinch of food daily, or even every other day should be adequate.  If you feel you must feed more, offer them lettuce, spinach, or other leafy greens, which won't increase ammonia production.  

The black you see strongly suggests ammonia burns.  When you use Prime during a water change, you should use the amount of Prime required for the full tank volume rather than just the new water.  

We recommend treating all new fish with salt.  You can use aquarium salt or any other 100% sodium chloride.  Most supermarkets carry Mortons Canning and Pickling Salt https://www.americanspice.com/mortons-all-natural-canning-and-pickling-salt-4-lbs/, which works well.   Start with 1 teaspoon of salt per gallon of water in the tank.  That gives you 0.1% salt.  When you do your 50% daily  water change,  add one Tablespoon of salt to each gallon of new water (5 Tablespoons total).    The new water has 0.3% salt, and this procedure will gradually raise the tank salt level to 0.3% and maintain it there.  Maintain 0.3% salt for at least two weeks.  This may help make those surface spots and blotches go away.

Thank you so much for the response, Sharon. :)

The test was post-water change, but it has been pretty "bad" since set-up. The ammonia and Nitrite before the water change were both 1.0. They have gotten in the past as far as 2.0 and 5.0, repsectively. I'm still learning how to get a tank set up properly...

The salt treatment will help with the white splotches as well? I was just concerned it was a parasite or something like that.

I got the two goldies at the same time, from the same tank at the PetSmart, but the chocolate doesn't seem to be having any problem.

I can't see the spots and splotches very well, but goldfish tails frequently have white spots on them.  I think they occur at the site of some injury.  Tails get pretty beat up.  The salt may help with parasites.  

Once you have completed two weeks of salt treatment, you should treat your fish with praziquantel for two weeks to kill flukes.  The attachment sites of flukes can often become the site of a surface bacterial infection.

Thank you for the responses. Sadly, the little fish died. =( It may have been too little too late.

I am continuing with treatment, as the chocolate seems to be almost stressed out (constantly darting up, down, back, front, left, right in the tank). So far, 'he' seems to be calming down.

Yes, it was probably too sick from previous conditions for recovery.