Sign in to follow this  
vimandvigrrrpet

White dots on Oranda wen and pearlscale side.

My large Ornadas have white dots. 

I have a 40 gallon tank with two large orandas.  I have been having ongoing trouble with ammonia.  I get .25 ppm right out of the tap.  Between Prime and Safe I seem to have that somewhat under control. Now my two Oranda's have White dots on their web and my pearlscale have white dots on his side. 

Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level(Tank)

.15ppm

* Nitrite Level(Tank)

Zero

* Nitrate level(Tank)

Zero

* Ammonia Level(Tap)

.25 ppm

* Nitrite Level(Tap)

Zero

* Nitrate level(Tap)

Zero

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

API MASTER test drops

* Water temperature?

68 degrees

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

40 gal running for 3 years
* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?  AquaFILTER  50 

* How often do you change the water and how much?

50 % 2x per week

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?

50 % 3 days ago

* How many fish in the tank and their size?

2 -4 inch Orandas

1- 1 inch Pearlscale

* What kind of water additives or conditioners?

Prime and Safe

* What do you feed your fish and how often?

Hikari Oranda sinking pellets

* Any new fish added to the tank?

No

* Any medications added to the tank?

Ick cure 4 days

* How long have symptoms been going on?

5 days

They are very active...eating great and seem super healthy otherwise...just the white dots in the last 5 days.

20170923_151156.jpg

20170923_151154.jpg

20170923_151237.jpg

20170923_151242.jpg

I see the white dots but can you take a better picture?  Hold your goldfish in one hand up to the top of the tank or out of the water and in bright light and try to focus a closeup.  They look like normal wen growth spots but I'd be able to tell better with a clearer picture.

Can you please carefully retest your tank water?  The nitrate shouldn't be zero unless you tested it *after* a complete water change.  We really need to see what was going on before.  Or is this a quarantine with no filter?

I'm sorry about the tap ammonia!  That's always tough to surmount but a well established filter can help.  After two or three days it usually processes tap ammonia, and you can test and see if that is happening :)

Edited by Arctic Mama

I can try that tomorrow as it sounds like a two person job.  And yes...the amonia problem is super frustrating.  I was going to loo for a reverse osmosis system but no one can agree on whether ro eliminated ammonia.  So I'm not sure what I'm going to do....

12 hours ago, vimandvigrrrpet said:

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?  AquaFILTER  50 

Is that the Aquaclear 50 filter? 

I would suggest another filter on there. You could go a smaller filter or a sponge power head filter. this will help with the ammonia and plus to filters are always better than one :) 

Yes an aquaclear.  And I'm currently stalking our local want ads for a canister filter.  Thanks so much for taking the time to comment...I appreciate the input.

9 hours ago, vimandvigrrrpet said:

Yes an aquaclear.  And I'm currently stalking our local want ads for a canister filter.  Thanks so much for taking the time to comment...I appreciate the input.

Personally a canister would be an over kill. Even just another Aquaclear would do the tank good :thumbs: 

Hi, Chris here...  my Ranchu gets this same white dots... I agree that they look like wen growth...  They usually go away within a day of me seeing them... :)   As for your filter, I have Aqua Clear on my 40 gallon tank...  I run 2 AC70's on mine, but I am over stocked in my tank...  I do 100% water changes every Monday and alternate cleaning 1 of the filters each week...  I also have .25 Ammonia in my tap water...  I find that Prime and Stabilty keep my cycle balanced with the weekly maintenance...  Best of luck with you fish...  They are very nice looking water babies... :goldfish: 

Awesome. Thanks. I found an AC 20 that I put on the tank tonight. I will follow your water change and cleaning schedule for aure! And I have been using Prime and Safe. Should I change to stability?

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Hi, Chris here...  I would continue testing your water daily until your sure that your cycle is stable with your water change schedule...  I also run a small sponge filter in the tank rather than an air stone, that also adds to the good beneficial bacteria...   In the beginning I struggled for months to establish a strong tank, but with the awesome expertise here in KOKO's I was able to get there...  As for Safe or Stability use...  use what ever is working for your water...  I live in Corona, CA and our water is krazy hard municipal water...  There are soooo many products out there, again benefiting from the groups experts will get you there...  definitely check out the great resource materials here on the site as well...  There is sooooo much to be learned ...  I learned something new almost every day my first year...  Best wishes... :)

Hi, Chris here...  I would continue testing your water daily until your sure that your cycle is stable with your water change schedule...  I also run a small sponge filter in the tank rather than an air stone, that also adds to the good beneficial bacteria...   In the beginning I struggled for months to establish a strong tank, but with the awesome expertise here in KOKO's I was able to get there...  As for Safe or Stability use...  use what ever is working for your water...  I live in Corona, CA and our water is krazy hard municipal water...  There are soooo many products out there, again benefiting from the groups experts will get you there...  definitely check out the great resource materials here on the site as well...  There is sooooo much to be learned ...  I learned something new almost every day my first year...  Best wishes...

Awesome! Most people don't understand how attached one can get to some fishes...but I just feel like cheap when I known that are swimming in stuff that is hurting them. So far my biofilter has held up well. We haven't water here on Vancouver island. But the district I live in Just went to chloramines to clean the water *grrrrrrr*. I will go to your routine...it sounds like it will work and in will keep a close watch on the biofilte t for sure...thanks again!

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Did you get those pictures?  I'd really like to eliminate some other possibilities just in case it isn't wen growth :)