Sign in to follow this  
Guest chubbycheeks

Help My Fish!

Guest chubbycheeks

Hi everybody,

I have a medium sized oranda that has been hanging out at the bottom of the tank today and has some large pustuals on her wen.

I have a 20 g tank that is overstocked with 5 fish at the moment. One fish is very large at 5 1/2 inches the other four are medium, and I have been working on getting the tank cycled.

I heard that the spots on oranda's wens, could be head growth but her hanging out at the bottom is worrying me.

Do I need to put her in a hospital tank, and do a salt bath?

If it is a disease what can I do to protect my other fish. My ammonia is at 2.0 and nitrates 0.

I have been treating the high ammonia levels with a dose of amquel every 24 hrs.

according to instructions. Is this bad to do over long periods of time. I just started though.

Sorry if to many questions, I have so many.

Guest chubbycheeks

Yes, but she is really doing bad, now she is almost laying on her side.

I dont think she is going to make it. I'm so sad.

The white spots on her wen, if they are confined solely to her wen, are normal for an oranda. They are spots of new growth. The first possible reason she is staying on the bottom is because of the high ammonia in the tank. The BEST way to get rid of excess ammonia is a water change. I would immediately do a 50% water change (which should bring ammonia down to 1.0). Then daily for several more days do water change of 30-40% until your tanks cycle establishes. In addition, the water changes need to be done with dechlorinated water, since chlorine is harmful to fish.

I personally do not advocate adding chemicals like Amquel to your tank. I also think you are adding WAY too much. From the web:

To remove toxic ammonia compounds that build up in aquariums and ponds from the excretion of body wastes by fishes, invertebrates, bacteria, and other aquatic organisms start with a Standard Dose (see definition above). This Standard Dose not only removes the chlorine and chloramines described above, but will also remove (detoxify) at the same time 1.0 mg/L (= approx. 1.0 ppm) of all ammonia compounds in fresh or salt water. Use multiple doses to remove more than 1.0 mg/L ammonia from the water.

It is suggested that the ammonia concentration of the water be tested prior to the addition of AmQuel to determine how much AmQuel is needed. Also see Contraindications for when there may be problems in the use of AmQuel).  The pH of the water being treated affects the speed at which AmQuel removes ammonia. The lower the pH, the slower AmQuel works. At a pH of 7.0 (neutral) AmQuel will remove the ammonia in less than 5 minutes. Several minutes more are needed at higher pHs.

and

AmQuel is compatible to use with all water quality test kits except for the ammonia test kit that uses Nessler reagents that read in shades of amber or yellow, and the oxygen kit that uses Winkler reagents. Residual AmQuel and its reaction products are incompatible with the Nessler and Winkler-type test reagents, resulting in false, high ammonia and low oxygen concentration readings. All other types of test kits produce accurate test results, such as ammonia test kits using salicylate-type reagents.

It is possible that the toxic ammonia has been taken care of and your test kit is giving you a false reading based on the above two quotes.

How long has your tank been up and running? Are there any other symptoms displayed by your fish? When you say she is sitting on the bottom.... can she get up off the bottom and swim normally? How are the other fish doing in the tank.

Guest chubbycheeks

The fish that was in question has now passed on, but I have been using an ammonia test kit that uses the salicylate-type reagents, so I think the ammonia readings are accurate. The directions on the bottle of Amquel say to give 24 hours before treating again, is doing it every day until my tank is cycled too much?

My tank has been up and running for over a year, but I recently changed out my gravel, so I think I crashed my cycle. All the other fish in the tank seem to be doing fine. They are all swimming around and eating normally.