Leaving the hobby. Need some sympathy/venting.

So I've about 99% made the decision to not have tanks anymore. There's a chance that perhaps I will regret it, but I suppose I can always start again if I really wanted to. 

There's about a hundred reasons why, all piled up on top of each other, but I'll try to list a few. 

-I really don't have space in my apartment for tanks, and I hate the feeling of clutter that having ever a 55gal in here gives. It is my fault for not considering the tanks when i bought this place, but I can't do anything about it now.
-The money on the electric/water bill. I am okay financially, but the extra bills do add a little more strain.
-Money for food/equipment/meds/prime, etc.
-Constantly having a fish that has something wrong with it, despite doing all the right things. This is probably the biggest reason as I find it so upsetting/bothersome. I know that this is a given when it comes to keeping living creatures, but it is distressing nonetheless. 
-I recently got my first proper 9 nine-to-five "career" job and I am finding myself with so little time that I barely look at the tank, nevermind the maintenance. 

Another huge reason is the constant feeling of discontentment and always wanting to upgrade things and have bigger and better stuff/nicer fish. I think a lot of this is an aspect of my personality and perhaps others aren't as bad when it comes to this sort of thing. But I find myself always wishing I did things differently. In a way, I get more entertainment out of watching someone else do it on Youtube and reading about stuff on forums than I do from physically doing all the things myself.

I don't mean this post as a crap on the hobby or to be a downer, as I truly do love it and I'm sure I will have tanks again in the future. But these are all things I didn't fully consider before I started. I wanted to write this for others who may be struggling with this decision too, or those who are considering entering the hobby.

Currently my tank and filter have been broken down and ready to sell. My remaining two fish are in a pond sort of setup in the garage along with the plants. One fish is quite ill and has developed dropsy and I expect I might have to euthanise :( I'm arranging to rehome my one remaining healthy goldy to a friend who is a very experienced fishkeeper.

Anyways, I'm sure you'll still see me around here and there as I love reading your posts and looking at pictures of your beautiful goldies. :heart

Awww, I, too, am sorry to hear that! I'm sure it was a tough decision to make.  There have been a few times when I have thought of "taking a break" but then I keep plugging along!  The best to you and  if/when a little goldie catches your eye & you can't resist you know to come back!!!  Best to you!!

:bighug

Edited by Jeana727
because

It can get overwhelming at times. I think I have found my max. Now that hubby has taken over the care of the oscar tank. That leaves me four to deal with and they seem to be my max. One of them does not even have fish. Just plants and snails. Fish are not for everyone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've had some nasty setbacks that made me truly discouraged but I haven't given up yet because some of my fish are doing well and I want to see how they fare. Maybe someday you'll be back again. I CAN say now that if I was forced to keep my fish indoors for any reason, I would give up. I no longer like fish tanks. 

Thank you for your lovely replies everyone :grouphug

I found my sick fishy dead yesterday :( Now need to contact my friend who I'm hoping will want to take the remaining one. 

14 hours ago, mjfromga said:

I CAN say now that if I was forced to keep my fish indoors for any reason, I would give up. I no longer like fish tanks. 

I totally get what you mean, I think if I had a balcony for a pond or even a small office type room that I would use as a "fish room", it would be much easier. I'm quite a minimalist person, and we all know that no matter how nice your tank is, it doesn't take much for it (and surrounding areas) to become a complete mess. Sigh. Maybe one day if I ever have a bigger house.

Sorry to hear about your frustrations etc. I reached that point with my pond once a few years back. I was ready to kick the filters in, fold the liner inside, throw all the decorative rocks on top, and cover it with dirt. Having troubles can be very frustrating. I have a personality kind of like yours where I always want bigger and better. I finally reached contentment when I hit 125 gallons inside and 1800 gallons outside. Maybe you just need a little break? You can always find a great deal on a tank in the future if you find you miss fishkeeping.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Admin
8 hours ago, DieselPlower said:

Sorry to hear about your frustrations etc. I reached that point with my pond once a few years back. I was ready to kick the filters in, fold the liner inside, throw all the decorative rocks on top, and cover it with dirt. Having troubles can be very frustrating. I have a personality kind of like yours where I always want bigger and better. I finally reached contentment when I hit 125 gallons inside and 1800 gallons outside. Maybe you just need a little break? You can always find a great deal on a tank in the future if you find you miss fishkeeping.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Yup I even took a break from goldfish and just had Mollies for a while. Found out that Goldfish are just the fish I want. :thumbs: even with all the headaches and heart breaks :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe that's it.. Maybe I am just taking a break haha. All kidding aside, I'm sure I will have another tank one day when I have more time and space.

I sold all of my plants last weekend. Now I've got to psyche myself up to sell the rest of my crap. I will probably have to drive to a town that's 1.5hrs away for someone to buy my fluval filters :thumbdown