Sign in to follow this  
poetholmes

Suddenly my young ryukin's fins are ragged. I just changed the water the day before and he looked fine. Now his fins are frayed. What happened?

Looking back, i think we added the aquarium sale incorrectly Thursday.  We added it to the bottom of the tank, without dissolving it in water first.

I just tested tap/tank water at 8 a.m. this morning, after having left sample uncovered overnight. It was between 7.2 and 7.4.  So a small change. 

Doing 50% water change at 11:45 a.m. today.  Meanwhile I tested tap/tank sample and its pH reads 70.  

Have you tested the samples that read 7.6 with the high range pH?  If you just use the pH test, a reading of 7.6 means 7.6 or higher.  You have to use the high range test to actually determine the pH.  Likewise, if you do only the high range test and get 7.4, that means 7.4 or lower, so you have to also use the pH test.

Update: Sonic's side looks better.  His fins are about the same.

Water test results are as follows. 

pH 7.2 (high pH 7.4)

ammonia 0

nitrite 0

nitrate 40 ppm

KH 125.3 (seven drops)

What next?  Should I continue to do 50% WC and how often? Do you advise medication or not, at this point.  Thanks!

Which water is this?  Fresh tap?  Aged tap?  Tank?. :)  In this case, you correctly read 7.2, since the 7.4 on the high range test means 7.4 or lower.

As long the fish appears to improve without medication, just stick with clean water.  40ppm nitrate how long after the previous water change?

This is the tank water readings, from today.  We changed the water yesterday. 50%.

Any idea why the nitrate is so high?  Do you have nitrate in your tap water?

I don't know why nitrate is high.  I tested tap water Friday and there was zero nitrate. 

Thank you!  Hopefully the next pics I share will show a happy healthy fish!

Get your pH above 8 by adding baking soda.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Here's a quick update on Sonic, my Ryukin.  His fins are not full and back to normal but they are improving.  We did a 50% Water Change on Monday.  Today, the tank water tested as follows:  pH of 7.2, ammonia, 0, nitrite, 0, nitrate, 20 ppm and KH, 107.4 (after 6 drops).  I need a new test kit for General Hardness and then will test that also.  Any suggestions, let me know.   The fish look happy so I'm happy too!  

I don't know about all of you, but I'm still working to snap that 'perfect' photo of my fast little fish.  This shows Sonic's fins, some white and orange, but looking better, I think.

Gil and Sonic.jpg

Looking good :)