Sign in to follow this  
AquaAurora

Question: Dimilin in aquariums-dosing amount?

I'm thinking of buying another goldfish (i have no self control) when I was at the store last month the ponds were being treated fro fish lice with potassium permanganate

I'm not sure if there will have been a relapse from hatching eggs.. so looked into lice treatments and dimilin seems like a good once but dosing is 1 tbs for 500gs! My quarantine tank is only 20g.

So has anyone used this medicine in "smaller" (under 100g) tanks? If so how much do you dose of the meds to how many gallons of water?

It may be a mute point.. might get tot eh store and the fish is gone, but thought I'd ask.

Dilute the product (I assume a liquid product) to 1/20 of the current concentration -- one part product plus 19 parts water. Then one tablespoon of the diluted product treats 25 gallons.  So treat your QT with a "scant" tablespoon of diluted product.  Dimilin doesn't harm fish even at 10 times the normal dose.

1 hour ago, shakaho said:

Dilute the product (I assume a liquid product) to 1/20 of the current concentration -- one part product plus 19 parts water. Then one tablespoon of the diluted product treats 25 gallons.  So treat your QT with a "scant" tablespoon of diluted product.  Dimilin doesn't harm fish even at 10 times the normal dose.

Thank you ^^

I bought Dimilin recently. On the bottle, it says 1 tsp. treats 500 gallons. I have a 20 gallon tank. I used 4 drops. I figured the size of my drops by dropping them into a tsp.. Well, it didn't get rid of the fish lice, which I have been battling for over 2 months. I put a couple of more drops in without cleaning the tank and it still didn't do anything. I just performed surgery for the 4th time and got a big one out and pieces of a couple others.I don't know if I got everything out. Thankfully, his wounds clot well. I put some Mercurichrome on them.They really ate a big divot out of him. I don't know if it will ever grow back or not.I don't know how much more (Dimilin) I could have put in, but that is what I heard too.....that you can use up to 10 times the recommended amount. I will be continuing use since I don't know if everything's gone (eggs,etc) and both of us don't want to go through that anymore.

4th.post.op.eaten.jpg

fishlouse.4thsurgery.jpg

fishouse.4thsurgery.jpg

On 9/16/2017 at 7:26 PM, FishMother said:

I bought Dimilin recently. On the bottle, it says 1 tsp. treats 500 gallons. I have a 20 gallon tank. I used 4 drops. I figured the size of my drops by dropping them into a tsp.. Well, it didn't get rid of the fish lice, which I have been battling for over 2 months. I put a couple of more drops in without cleaning the tank and it still didn't do anything. I just performed surgery for the 4th time and got a big one out and pieces of a couple others.I don't know if I got everything out. Thankfully, his wounds clot well. I put some Mercurichrome on them.They really ate a big divot out of him. I don't know if it will ever grow back or not.I don't know how much more (Dimilin) I could have put in, but that is what I heard too.....that you can use up to 10 times the recommended amount. I will be continuing use since I don't know if everything's gone (eggs,etc) and both of us don't want to go through that anymore.

4th.post.op.eaten.jpg

fishlouse.4thsurgery.jpg

fishouse.4thsurgery.jpg

Yikes that stinks.

So far I've not seen any lice on my new goldie *knock on wood* but the small black flecks in their fins/scales make it hard to tell if that's body coloration or small lice >.<

Definitely updose the dimlin and keep the duration going at least four weeks after the last louse has been removed.  You don't want to play around and keep getting them back because of a rush in quarantine.  Warmer tank water also helps.  If you can bump it as close to 80 degrees F as your fish can tolerate without surface gasping, it will shorten the life cycle of the lice and help the treatment be more effective by the whole process going faster.