Sign in to follow this  
Fish_Fanatic

Possibly eggbound fish, need some advice

Hi folks!

I have two goldfish in a 38 gallon tank, one male (Fish) and one female (Gill). Gill has been spawning on and off several times this year without problem (this is the second year she's produced eggs since I got her). However, lately she's been looking very bloated (no pineconing) and has been having a difficult time swimming. She spends a lot of time on the bottom of the tank, and lately she's been upside down quite a bit too. Just today I've noticed her lying sideways on the bottom and now I'm very concerned. 

I've been doing regular water changes, and I've been feeding peas every few days in hopes of helping with the bloating. Gill looks very distressed now and I'm really not sure what to do. Any advice would be really appreciated. Thank you!!

Edited by Fish_Fanatic

Please copy & paste fill the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems: 

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Photos or a video would help us too :) 

Hi Koko! I was just editing this to add it :) Will try to get some decent photos too. 

• Test Results for the Following: I don't currently have a test kit, my old one is extremely old
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature? about 23C
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 38 gallons, running for many years
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Aquaclear 50 and Tetra Whisper EX45 (totaling about 440 gph)
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? Every few weeks, about 50% (I know its not ideal but its all I can do with my schedule...)
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? About 7 days, about 70% (my girlfriend did the water change while I was away)
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 fish, female about 5 inches excluding tail, and male about 4 inches excluding tail
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Omega One sinking pellets daily, peas every few days
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? No
  • * Any medications added to the tank? No
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. No treatment in the past 3 years or so
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? No
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Gill is bloated, staying at the bottom, often upside down, and today sideways on the bottom. Eating fine. Difficulty swimming. 

Sorry for the awful quality. Algae and bubbles make it hard to get a decent photo. If you're wondering, Gill is missing her right operculum, and her gill filaments have been picked at a bit by Fish in his more aggressive breeding behaviors. The left gill is completely normal though. 

Gill 2.jpg

Gill 3.jpg

Gill 4.jpg

Video:
Gill video.mp4

Edited by Fish_Fanatic

Poor thing!!! Hope she feels better!!!

I want to see what the others think. But in all honesty I don't think there is much you can do. :( 

You could try a shallow container with duckweed in it, also with Metro+ in it too. Have these fish been praized before? 

There really is not much we can say without water test results.  Please get a test kit.  

Your fish shows symptoms of poor water conditions, The tattered fins for one and the bloating for another.  We can't even say for sure how to remedy the situation when you don't  know the pH of the tap and tank water.  One likely problem are the rocks on the bottom of the tank.  These are a perfect breeding ground for some of the opportunistic pathogens which thrive in polluted water.  Do you have the rocks all over the bottom of the tank?  

I don't want to sound mean, but if your schedule doesn't allow for weekly water changes, there is no way you could handle the workload involved in treating a sick goldfish.  We're talking about daily water changes and maintaining specific concentrations of medications.  We older folks have all gone through times when we just didn't have time to properly care for pets.  You may be at such a time in your life.

any luck with the water params? or even to run some water to the LFS for testing? how is Gill?

Hello,

Just checking in. I've been doing more regular water changes to help with Gill's condition, but she remains the same. I have not been able to get the water parameters tested yet, but will report that as soon as I can. 

As shakaho mentioned, Gill has some tattered fins, but I want to point out that it is due to my other fish being rather aggressive in his desire to mate. I clean the rocks on the bottom of the tank very regularly, and the rocks are actually only in the corner of the tank with the bubble wall, and in another corner with a plant. Otherwise the tank is completely bare bottom in order to not let bacteria and nasty stuff build up. 

Gill is still lying on her side on the bottom, but does attempt to swim up every once in a while. Her breathing is regular and she is still just as bloated as ever. Poor thing :(

She's not looking so great today :( Gill's a lot less active today than she has been this whole time, and her breathing has slowed considerably. She's still lying on her back/side on the bottom of the tank, and is still interested in eating.

I picked up a heater for the tank (and a thermometer) yesterday because I read that raising the temperature a bit might help her release eggs, but I'm not sure what an ideal temperature would be for that. The tank is already at 25 degrees Celsius which is definitely on the warm end (it has been an extremely warm month where I live so my house has been quite warm too). 

Water params:

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 10

pH: 7.5 (tap) and ~8.0 (tank) 

I'm sorry she is looking rough.  She may well be eggbound and there isn't much for it.  Your water chemistry looks pretty good! Just keep on the water changed and consider putting her in a colander for a break if she is getting chased so much she is starting to get sick.  The plastic ones float nicely and are a good safe place for a tired or stressed fish.  Especially with the lights turned off :)

Do you have any more recent pictures?  Does she have any red streaking?

The other fish has been leaving her alone lately, but I will keep that in mind if I see him being aggressive again! Good idea :)

No red streaking, as far as I can see. I will upload some more pictures soon, but there hasn't really been much change at all :( 

So sorry she still isn't doing well.