Sign in to follow this  
vimandvigrrrpet

My oranda has black marks???

I got two new large oranda's about 2 months ago. They have been very vigorous...seem happy. But about 4 days ago I saw some black spots on one of them. The tank is 30 gallons. I have a tiny oranda and a tiny pearlacale in the same tank while I find another 30 gallon at a decent price. There are no love plants. I use the API master test kit. Ph: 6.8 ammonia: 25ppm, nitrite: zero, nitrate: zero. aea341aa325245364b1e288084a2ee88.jpg723cf8f7d7bca9c7ae987450bb795168.jpg52911699e3d652e20a590dd27b4da71a.jpg174da0513465474a1c68f3b8ef040f15.jpg

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Please copy & paste fill the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems: 

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Please copy & paste fill the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems: 

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?
* Ammonia Level(Tank) .25 ppm
* Nitrite Level(Tank)0
* Nitrate level(Tank)0
* Ammonia Level(Tap).50ppm (can that even be possible? I retested it 3 times
* Nitrite Level(Tap)0
* Nitrate level(Tap)0
* Ph Level, Tank 6.6 (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 
* Ph Level, Tap6.6
(If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
Other Required Info:* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?API master test kit*
Water temperature? 67 degrees
* Tank size (how many gals.)30 gallons
and how long has it been running? 3 years
* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s) 50 gallon aquaclear hang on back?
* How often do you change the water and how much? 50% every 4 days
* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?yesterday 75% today 50 %
* How many fish in the tank and their size? 5 (two 4 inch orandas, wine 1 inch oranda, one 1 inch pearlscale, 6 inch pleco
* What kind of water additives or conditioners? API Tap water conditioner.
* What do you feed your fish and how often? Nutrafin max goldfish sinking pellets
* Any new fish added to the tank?tankno
* Any medications added to the tank? no
* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? The one with the black spots had a single white dot on one of its tail find for about a week but it is gone now.
* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? No eating well very vigorous.

Thanks!

Please read our guidelines for healthy goldfish.  Your water change schedule would work very well if you had two fish in the aquarium, but with five fish in a 30 gallon tank even 50% changes daily might not maintain healthy water quality.  The Aquaclear 50 turns over 200 gallons per hour -- enough for a 20 gallon aquarium with one goldfish.

Since you tested the water a day after a 75% water change, the ammonia level might have been huge before the water change. Those black spots almost certainly resulted from ammonia burns.  While these spots won't harm the fish, the ammonia damage to the fish gills will.

Yes, tap water can contain 0.5 ppm ammonia.  You can protect the fish from up to 1 ppm ammonia by using Seachem Prime as your water conditioner.  The low pH of your water also helps protect the fish from ammonia poisoning, so we won't try to increase it until we get the ammonia under control.

Please get a 40B tank for your two large fish, and also a filter that turns over at least 800 gallons per hour.  This will function well as their forever home.  The 30 gallon will be fine for the two small ones for a year or two.

You shouldn't keep plecos in a goldfish tank.   Little plecos can get enough food from the walls and other surfaces in the tank, but plecos get big and big ones have to find other food sources.  A sleeping goldfish is covered with a thick slime coat which plecos (who feed mainly at night) find nourishing.  You won't observe this unless you stay up all night, but it can lead to horrible lesions.  

How often do you clean your filter and how do you clean it?  Have you ever changed filter media?  (Please don't.)

Please read our guidelines for healthy goldfish.  Your water change schedule would work very well if you had two fish in the aquarium, but with five fish in a 30 gallon tank even 50% changes daily might not maintain healthy water quality.  The Aquaclear 50 turns over 200 gallons per hour -- enough for a 20 gallon aquarium with one goldfish.
Since you tested the water a day after a 75% water change, the ammonia level might have been huge before the water change. Those black spots almost certainly resulted from ammonia burns.  While these spots won't harm the fish, the ammonia damage to the fish gills will.
Yes, tap water can contain 0.5 ppm ammonia.  You can protect the fish from up to 1 ppm ammonia by using Seachem Prime as your water conditioner.  The low pH of your water also helps protect the fish from ammonia poisoning, so we won't try to increase it until we get the ammonia under control.
Please get a 40B tank for your two large fish, and also a filter that turns over at least 800 gallons per hour.  This will function well as their forever home.  The 30 gallon will be fine for the two small ones for a year or two.
You shouldn't keep plecos in a goldfish tank.   Little plecos can get enough food from the walls and other surfaces in the tank, but plecos get big and big ones have to find other food sources.  A sleeping goldfish is covered with a thick slime coat which plecos (who feed mainly at night) find nourishing.  You won't observe this unless you stay up all night, but it can lead to horrible lesions.  
How often do you clean your filter and how do you clean it?  Have you ever changed filter media?  (Please don't.)
Yes...the big pleco is going to the fish store this week. I will get the sechem water.conditioner today. I usually clean the filter medium in some discarded tank water and I reuse the filter medium. I change out only 1/4 of it at a time when it wears out. Not very often though. I feel bad I hurt they are not well because I was not caring for them properly...and also I read somewhere that anyhri g larger than 30 gallons generally didn't have enough surface area for goldfish. Good thing I asked because I was looking for a 30 gallon for the two bigger ones. Thanks so much for your help. Is it safe for me to do a 75% water change daily until I get the new tank cycled?

Believe me, at least 90% of the people on this forum were providing poor environments for their fish when they first arrived here.  Goldfish get big and big fish need lots of high quality water.  The internet produces loads of misinformation, but I've never heard the one about tanks larger than 30 gallons not having enough surface area for goldfish.  Goldfish breeders and long-time goldfish keepers call the  40B the ideal aquarium for two goldfish.  Breeder tanks have greater width and less height than other tanks of the same volume.  This gives a higher surface area to volume ratio than typical or tall tanks, and that matters to goldfish.  

Cycle your new tank as follows.  

Get a filter for the 40B following the instructions in the guidelines -- one that turns over at least 400 gallons per hour.  

Put the filter in your current tank for at least 2 weeks.  

After that time, set up the new tank with dechlorinated water and transfer the new filter and the 2 big fish to the tank.  

You will need to  test daily for a week or so to make sure that you have no ammonia or nitrite, but usually this works perfectly.

I recommend cleaning your filter weekly.  Just dump the dirty water, rinse the gunk from media and from the filter box in dechlorinated water and reassemble.  Your filter works best with frequent rinsing and worst with infrequent scrubs.  Sponges and cartridges usually last a few years, and ceramic rings probably a few decades.  The only reason I can think of for companies telling you to change them frequently has to do with $$$$$.

Awesome! Thanks so much for the help.  I just love these two big fish....I want to do whatever I can to keep them healthy.  I took the pleco out today.  I had no idea they would duck on the go fish! Again...thanks and I will let you know how I get on.

It looks like it could possibly be fish lice. The pictures aren't clear to know for sure, but if you pick up your fish and slide a tweezer over the spots and you see movement, then it's lice. I watched a Youtube video to see a guy pick them off a goldfish.

On 30/08/2017 at 4:37 PM, FishMother said:

It looks like it could possibly be fish lice. The pictures aren't clear to know for sure, but if you pick up your fish and slide a tweezer over the spots and you see movement, then it's lice. I watched a Youtube video to see a guy pick them off a goldfish.

these are not fish lice :)