Sign in to follow this  
MagicCat

Small Red Spot on Tele's Head. What is this and should I be concerned?

Hi all.

Wow, it's been a bit since I've been on here. I ended up getting a butterfly telescope buddy (Goggles) for my Oranda, Brinty, several months ago. Everything's going well, however, recently a red spot has appeared on his head. His behavior is still normal; he eats fine, poop is normal, etc. I have added Prazi and .02% salt to the water as a precaution. I'm thinking it may be irritation from some sort of parasite or possibly a minor bacterial infection, but I'm honestly not sure.

I hope you guys can see what I'm talking about in the picture, I had to play around with the contrast and exposure to make it more visible. It's a bit hard to catch on photo because it's on top of the red/orange part of his color. It is definitely more visible in person.

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0ppm
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0ppm
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) 0-5ppm
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0ppm
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0ppm
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0ppm
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.8
    •  Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.0-ish
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Drops
      • * Water temperature? Not sure, probably mid-70s
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 40 gallons, over a year
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Aqua Clear 70, Marineland Penguin 200
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? 80-90% every 5-7 days
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Today, 80%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 2, one small one medium
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Repashy Soilent Green, NLS Sinking Pellets, Hikari Sinking Pellets.. once or twice a day
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? Not recently
  • * Any medications added to the tank? .02% salt, Prazi
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Also alt and prazi in the past, usually I do two weeks
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Red spot on head
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? No

20170817344214019_1.jpg

Edited by MagicCat
spelling, sentence structure

Welcome back.  Do you mean 0.2% salt (2 teaspoons per gallon)?

Does the lesion appear flat or raised?

I wonder he might have a injury.  Would you please post some full-tank shots so we can look for anything that might have hurt him.  

Has the lesion increased in size since you first observed it?

Yes, 2 teaspoons per gallon, sorry. It is definitely flat and I'm not sure if it's just power of suggestion, but I think it looks less red since adding the salt and Prazi.  All that's in my tank is a lump of Java moss and some river rocks. It doesn't look like an open wound or anything, so I'm not sure that it's an injury. It's stayed the same size since I first noticed it, I think.

IMAG0115.jpg

It looks like a "blood blister" but I don't know what would cause it.  Let's just watch it.  Continue the salt and prazi  for now.

20 minutes ago, jenag145 said:

What are the fish in the tank??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goldfish :)

The only thing I can think of that might have cause that is the handle on the one filter. I have seen fish get stuck behind it and get an d injury keep and eye out in that :) the filter on your right hand side of that photo :)