Red And White Ryukin

mailboxck

Just got a new Ryukin. He's basically white with big red spots on him. He's real cute and funny to watch. He eats a lot though. He's only around 3 to 4 cm long but still a lot bigger than my other gf. Will his color still change? What can I do to intensify his redness?

Guest ed586

I have a R/W Ryukin too and love him. It's red is getting redder and has been spreading so that he is just a little less white. I worried at first since it can mean he is infected if you can see viens in his fins. But later I realized it was local around his spots. Aren't these Ryukin's cool! :)

Guest DigitalAirman

Yeah, carotene is what makes the color more vibrant. I too have a red and white ryunkin, seems like a trend here. ANyways. Mine's red is spreading a little too. I hope the white doesnt completely leave, and I hope the red doesnt leave completely either.

Parker

Cool! Hope the red and the white balance each other off cause red white ryukins are more expensive here than totally red ones. :lol:

He's much bigger than his tankmates (1" red cap oranda, and 2 1.5" fantails) and eats so much more than they do :lol: lil cutie!

• 7 months later...

The chinese breeders have a fish coloration called the "10 points" thingamajig. I can't remember the exact name, but the idea is that the fish has 10 spots of red in the body.

2 spots for each of the fins = 6

a spot on the head = 1

a spot on the dorsal fin = 1

2 spots for each of the tail = 2

to my surprise, my lil ryukin matched their description! These kind of fish are very hard to produce and to find. gladly, after 8 months, he still hasn't changed his color. great!

Archived