Sign in to follow this  
Danae

Fancy goldfish with bulge on side

Hello to all. I have two fantail goldfish in a 65 lt tank (20 gallons) for almost two years now with a HOB filter. Recently they had velvet and i did a treatment with esha exit for a few days. Now there are no signs of velvet but i keep checking them because i know it is very persitant. One of them grew a bulge on it's left side the last month, i cut back on feeding because at first i thought it was dropsy. Now he is better than last week. What could it be? Is it possible that it is fatty liver or some liver problem or internal parasites? I 've done big whater changes and bought a fishfood with more vitamins. The bulge is on the bigger fish (not the little white pimple), i couldn't take a better photo right now. 

DSC_0000060.jpg

Welcome to Kokos!!!

Please copy & paste fill the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems: 

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Test Results - i don't have a test kit, i m not very experienced in aquariums yet

Other Required Info:

• * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? - 
  • * Water temperature? - 25C
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? - the tank is 65 lt, i think it's 20 in u.s gallons and it's been running 2,5 years now
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? - the filter is an Aquaclear20 hang on back, it is for tanks up to 75lt with a sponge and pumice.
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? - i change 20% once a week, but now i will turn that to 30% every five days.
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? - last water change was 5 days ago and it was about 2/3 of the tank. 
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? - right now two goldfish, the big one is around 10cm and the other 4cm. There was a blackmoor too but it died from ick. 
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? - i use seachem prime in water changes
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? - i used to feed them once a day with sera pellets for goldfish 8-10 pellets. Now i stoped using that and i feed them with tropical pellets for colour enhancing 2-3 times a day 2 pellets for each at the time.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? - no
  • * Any medications added to the tank? - esha exit
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank-i treated the tank with esha exit to treat ick, for 3 days, changed 20% of the water but the ick insisted so i treated them for another 3 days and did the 2/3 water change.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? -a bulge on the left size of one of the fish and the red veins on his tail.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? - the same fish that has the bulge had balance issues and was swimming fast around the tank because of that, sometimes hitting on the gravel, sometimes floating upside down at the bottom but after the water changes and the new food he is much better now. He has ammonia burn on his tail. 

Also i had a problem with the filter's propeller, and it had slowed down the performance, but i cleaned it and now it works fine.Also i bought a new sponge for the filter because the old one had shrinked. 

just wondering if you can catch the oranda in a bowl and take a clearer photo from top view? if photo clarity is not an option, try taking a video from top view. something about that body shape is not sitting right with me. more-so than the lump.

These aren't fantails by the way. The fish with the white thing looks like an Oranda and the rounder fish is a Pearlscale. 

4 minutes ago, Helen said:

just wondering if you can catch the oranda in a bowl and take a clearer photo from top view? if photo clarity is not an option, try taking a video from top view. something about that body shape is not sitting right with me. more-so than the lump.

I think the OP is more worried about the Pearly than the Oranda :) 

2 minutes ago, koko said:

I think the OP is more worried about the Pearly than the Oranda :) 

i have read again, i still think the OP is concerned about the Oranda. i guess we can only wait their clarification.

1 minute ago, Helen said:

i have read again, i still think the OP is concerned about the Oranda. i guess we can only wait their clarification.

:thumbup2:

The little one is a pearlscale, the other one (the left in the photo) i bought it as an oranda, but it doesn't have the big head most orandas have, that has the problem. I will try to take better photos and post again. 

He seems better today, a few days ago tje bugle was much bigger.

DSC_0000067.jpg

DSC_0000070.jpg

ok, thank you for the photos :) that is exactly the area i wanted to see. now, in that area, and only on one side, it can very well be a bacteria cyst forming under the skin in the flesh. these are not uncommon. two outcomes for bacteria cysts, none that require antibioitic medication. 1. it can be reabsorbed by the fish and totally resolved like that or 2. it can surface and ooze a pasty white substance which is non toxic or harmful to the actual fish or it's tankmate, to which then the open wound may require some salt treating or a dab of steriliser such as HP or betadine on it, to prevent infection. but again, after a cyst has burst, the problem is usually resolved. it is also not uncommon for a cyst problem to reoccur or that multiple cysts form at the same time (usually in the same area). just keep an eye on it.

i want to address another observation, that black smear in the fork of the tail. that appears to be recovery from toxic burn, most likely from exposure to ammonia or even nitrites. and we need to know more from you so that we can determine how safe the water in your tank is and to guide you on what steps you can make that will improve the health of your goldfish overall. to do this, we need your help :)

since you do not have a freshwater test kit, please take a sample of your tank water (a cup full) to your nearest aquarium shop and ask them to test it. we need actual number results for the following:

PH:

Ammonia:

NitrAtes:

Nitrites:

once we are aware of the results, we can recommend you make minor changes to correct any issues your set up has :)

Thank you for your reply! Most shops are closed for summer vacation so i don't know if i can do that before 20-25 of this month but i will check it. If i use melafix is it good or is a stronger medication needed? Yes you are right about the ammonia burns, my filter wasn't working and it affected the water quality but now i cleaned everything and bought a new sponge to it and it's working fine again, but changing the sponge probably affected the cycle of the tank too. 

32 minutes ago, Danae said:

Thank you for your reply! Most shops are closed for summer vacation so i don't know if i can do that before 20-25 of this month but i will check it. If i use melafix is it good or is a stronger medication needed? Yes you are right about the ammonia burns, my filter wasn't working and it affected the water quality but now i cleaned everything and bought a new sponge to it and it's working fine again, but changing the sponge probably affected the cycle of the tank too. 

melafix is a treatment for near superficial wounds. it will not be required until you can see an open wound from injury. we use it more or less as we would salt, to keep the water sterile during the time of injury. that said, salt has more treatment qualities than melafix as well as the benefit of salt being cheaper to purchase.

since your fish does not have any open wounds, neither salt or melafix is required. 

can you change 50% of the water every other day for the next 7 days? see if this helps the overall well being of your fish. perhaps as you said, the cycle became funky from the recent filter issues you had.

have a look online and see if you are able to purchase a freshwater test kit (drops test kit preferred re accuracy).

Yes i can do the water changes but isn't it going to stress the fish? I 've read that too many/too big water changes are stressing them 

23 minutes ago, Danae said:

Yes i can do the water changes but isn't it going to stress the fish? I 've read that too many/too big water changes are stressing them 

no, as long as you match the temperature and the PH, it should be fine.

How are your fish? 

Hello! Thank you for asking. The oranda is still the same, i only noticed that when i feed them the bulge gets a little bigger and if i don't feed them at all for one day it gets smaller. I don't understand what it is, could it be it's liver? Plus i saw some velvet on them again and i m treating with salt, it's the 2nd day now. 

Should i use chlorine to disinfect the bucket i use for water changes or just hot water? 

On August 14, 2017 at 0:54 PM, Danae said:

Hello! Thank you for asking. The oranda is still the same, i only noticed that when i feed them the bulge gets a little bigger and if i don't feed them at all for one day it gets smaller. I don't understand what it is, could it be it's liver? Plus i saw some velvet on them again and i m treating with salt, it's the 2nd day now. 

Is there any scales lifting up from that area? can you see anything like a zit in that spot :) 

Yes, the scales are up, no there is no zit or anything else on the skin. And the scales are up on the other side a bit too today but not as much as on the left side. 

1 minute ago, Danae said:

Yes, the scales are up, no there is no zit or anything else on the skin. And the scales are up on the other side a bit too today but not as much as on the left side. 

Photo from the top when you can :) 

My opinion. This fish has multi bacterial cysts inside :( 

I would like to see what Helen has to say :) 

This thing started growing on the fish since i started treating with esha exit, could it have anything to do? I use salt this time to avoid stressing them with medicines. Wouldn't the salt kill the bacteria if there are any? The white pimple near his head is there for a long time, i don't know what it is