Bare bottom with plants

Paigehx

So I went to my local pet store a few days ago and purchased some Anubis plants as they were the only plants there that I knew where suitable for goldfish tanks. The only reason for buying them was because I'm going on holiday for a week and heard that the goldfish will sometimes eat the plants as I have no one to feed them while I'm gone.

I placed them in the tank in the small plastic pots which they came in but they obviously just float onto their side with them being so lightweight. I've decided I actually like the look of some plants in my tank and was wondering what's the best way of keeping plants in a bare bottom tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Admin
25 minutes ago, Paigehx said:

So I went to my local pet store a few days ago and purchased some Anubis plants as they were the only plants there that I knew where suitable for goldfish tanks. The only reason for buying them was because I'm going on holiday for a week and heard that the goldfish will sometimes eat the plants as I have no one to feed them while I'm gone.

Anubis plants are great with goldfish in the fact they won't eat that plant. They don't like the taste of that plant and most of the time the leaves are very thick. I use in my tanks for them to nibble on all the time is Moss balls. My biggest one has a very huge hole in it now from them picking at it :yikes:lol

25 minutes ago, Paigehx said:

I placed them in the tank in the small plastic pots which they came in but they obviously just float onto their side with them being so lightweight. I've decided I actually like the look of some plants in my tank and was wondering what's the best way of keeping plants in a bare bottom tank?

I found the best way to hold them down is to either tie them to a rock or you can suction cup them to the glass :) 

Great thank you. Will try and find some moss balls before I leave for my holiday. I don't really trust any one else to feed them. Will they be ok left for a full week?

• Admin
3 minutes ago, Paigehx said:

Great thank you. Will try and find some moss balls before I leave for my holiday. I don't really trust any one else to feed them. Will they be ok left for a full week?

I would say if you got some balls do a water change before you go. You don't want to feed a lot before you leave, so that the goldfish don't produce a lot of waste. Moss balls are a great source of food if you can't feed them :) I got mine from Petco :) I know your in the UK and there aren't Petcos but maybe something like that :) 

Thank you, I'm sure I will find some somewhere before I leave. It's the first time I have left them for longer than a day so I'm worrying

• Admin
13 minutes ago, Paigehx said:

Thank you, I'm sure I will find some somewhere before I leave. It's the first time I have left them for longer than a day so I'm worrying

As long as you got nibble food they will be fine. Goldfish can go with out food for a few days but with moss balls in there, it will give them some food :) 

2 hours ago, Paigehx said:

Pets At Home usually have moss balls for sale. I bought some as a snack for my Oranda while I was on holiday. You could also try elodea - mine absolutely love eating it. Plus Pets at Home sell them bunched with a weight on, so perfect for bare bottom tanks.

• Admin
15 minutes ago, titch said:

Pets At Home usually have moss balls for sale. I bought some as a snack for my Oranda while I was on holiday. You could also try elodea - mine absolutely love eating it. Plus Pets at Home sell them bunched with a weight on, so perfect for bare bottom tanks.

Awesome thank you :) 

That's great thank you! The one that I was in a few days ago didn't seem to have much but I have 3 or 4 close to me so will try a different one

3 minutes ago, koko said:

:doh11:

Bare bottom tank's and Mossimo ball's!!!  What did you think I was talking about???   :teehee

Edited by DawnMichele