Sign in to follow this  
FireFish

Got a new Oranda yesterday, is this ich?

I went looking for a third and final fancy, also since petsmart told me it gets new fancies on Tuesdays, I saw the cutest oranda in my life. Today I was looking closely and noticed 3 tiny dots on the side of the tail fin, nowhere else on the body, and its not flashing or rubbing against the decor. The oranda itself swims fine, does not have cramped fins, its active and looks healthy. The water parameters are good, the tank had only 2 fantails and this new fancy as my max in the 55g and the water temp is 72F. And I've been doing my 50% weekly changes. Foods I feed-New life spectrum sinking pellet, soilent green, veggies. In the first picture with light its very faint but you see make it out, when I had extras light and curtain open directly at the tank(for the picture) its more visible in the second picture. Luckly in the years of being in aquariums I never dealt with ich until today if it is. Any thoughts or suggestions?

iPqIzQn.jpg

yNm3Xdl.jpg

It's kind of hard to tell. It definitely looks like ich to me in the second picture, but there's also lots of other random white dots in the pictures. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to comment my opinion, since it might cause confusion. So I'll let the disease experts reply what to do. In the mean time, can you fill out this form?

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)  If you have a test kit, take these readings before you do a water change. If you don't have a test kit and can't get one immediately, please take samples of tank and tap water to your fish /pet store and request a test. Demand numbers for each test.
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) Please test tap water. It may contain ammonia or nitrate.  Tap water often varies in quality with weather/season, so don't just report an old test.  
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) Difference in the pH of tank and tap can cause distress in your fish. We need both tap and tank results. 
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)   If you don't have KH and GH tests and have municipal water, you can often get this information from the water company.
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?  Please answer both brand and type.
      • * Water temperature?  If you don't use a heater, give the the air temperature. 
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?  Please answer both questions. If you aren't sure of the volume of the tank, give the length, width, and height. 
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? By the "size" of the filter we mean the gph/lph that it claims to turn over.
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? Please answer both questions.
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Please answer both questions
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? You may give the weight of each fish or the length.  For goldfish, include the variety, and use (and indicate that you used) the standard length (sl) -- the length from the tip of the nose to the base of the tail fin.  You can estimate length. For example: 1 oranda, 3" sl, 2 pearlscales 1.5" and 2" sl.  For other species of fish that don't vary in tail length, you may use total length, from the tip of the nose to the end of the tail fin,  but please specify.  For example: 2 bristlenose plecos 3" tl 
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Water conditioner means the agent used against chlorine.  If you don't use a water conditioner, say why, for example, "well water."  "Water additives" include anything else that you regularly or recently have added to your water, including buffers, water clarifiers, algaecides, etc.
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Give the brand, type of food (sinking/floating pellets, gel food, steamed vegetable, etc.), and how frequently you feed each.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? If you have added new fish in the past few months, indicate which ones,  the duration of quarantine, and any treatments you used during quarantine
  • * Any medications added to the tank? This includes any used recently or currently in the tank.
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.  This can be a long answer if you have a sickly fish.  You can link to old D/D threads if we have advised on treatment before.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? List all physical symptoms.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? List all behavioral symptoms.
Edited by georgelee92

George, you posted instructions for filling out the form, rather than the form.

FireFish, you should quarantine new fish for at least a month before adding them to the tank.  The first thing you need to do is put that new cutie in a separate tank.  You don't need another aquarium for this, a plastic storage box that holds at least 10 gallons of water makes a good quarantine tank (QT).  I prefer a shallow box with lots of swimming area, something like this or this.  The QT doesn't need a filter,  just large, frequent water changes, since many medications can kill off the nitrifiers in the filter. We like to use 0.3% salt in the quarantine tank.  The same concentration of salt treats ich, so whether the fish has ich or not, you want 0.3% salt in the QT.  You will find instructions for using salt here.

We like to treat new fish for flukes with praziquantel for at least 2 weeks during the quarantine period, so you should also get prazi.  Most fish/aquarium stores carry some form of prazi, or you can order it online.  Virtually all fish have flukes and healthy fish can tolerate and control their own fluke population.  They have, however, no immunity to other strains of flukes, so before putting fish together, you should treat both the new and old fish with prazi so that neither has to deal with the other's flukes.

I suggest a large water change and a filter cleaning in the main tank after you remove the new fish.  

The spots are the right size for ich.  If we see an increase in the number of spots,  we will have to treat the main tank as well.

Welcome to Kokos and hope your Goldfish feels better soon.

OK actually funny enough after posting I moved the oranda in a 20g Long that has been running because I got scared, and added salt, but yes i'll defiantly get prazi also, thanks for advice and support!

Hmmm, a mind reader.

How much salt did you add?

lol more like google answers asap, since others had the problem with freshwater fish mostly.

I added 2 tablespoons

6 hours ago, shakaho said:

George, you posted instructions for filling out the form, rather than the form.

But thank you so much for helping :thumbs: 

Two tablespoons in how much water?  20 gallons, or are you using less?

20 gallons and I'm slowly raising the heat, currently at 78F

Please leave the heat alone for the present.  We don't know that the fish has ich.  If it does, you probably have seen a large increase in the number of spots by now.  I don't think you should stress the fish by raising the temperature unless you know the fish has ich.

You need to get the tank to 0.3% salt.  We start by getting the salt to 0.1%.  You add 1 teaspoon of salt per gallon to get 0.1% salt.  That means 20 teaspoons = 6 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons for twenty gallons.  You have added 2 tablespoons, So please add an additional 4 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons salt.  This evening, add another 6 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons to raise the salt to 0.2% salt.  Tomorrow morning repeat this.  Once you have the tank at 0.3% salt, whenever you do a water change add one tablespoon of salt to each gallon of new water.

Okay I lowered it back, and added more salt. Also, you mentioned that there should be an increase of ich spots visible, but I don't see any more, only the same ones in the picture. 

If the fish has ich, one expects the spots to increase rapidly.  The bit of salt you added would not inhibit ich increase at all, so the lack of new spots suggest the fish probably does not have ich.  Please let us know if you see a major increase in spots.  Maintain the 0.3% salt for two weeks of the quarantine period, since it does affect several types of external parasites.

This is a petsmart Oranda? He's really awesome for a petsmart oranda. Big wen, cute color pattern, and look at those breeding stars all over his pectorals. Hopefully he's fine and its not annoying ich. 

Also when you can please fill out the forum :) 

Yes, sorry koko, I've been trying to figure out how to edit the original post and add the information at the top, but I don't know. And thank you mjfromga 

also shakaho, i'll keep maintaining the salt level with the water changes, and will update if anything.

~55g-bare bottom tank

Ammonia Level 0

Nitrite Level 0

Nitrate level 0

Ph level 7.2

api 800

Water temp 

tank size 55g  AC50 and sponge filter

I do 50% water changes I do on thursdays(weekly), except last week I was vacuuming the bottom again a day after the water change and ended up doing an extra 25% 

Currently without the oranda its 2 calico fantails they are 2in the oranda is 3 1/4in

I use tetra water conditioner

I feed new life spectrum sinking small goldfish pellets, soilent green and veggies.

new fish is the oranda- findings and behavior is at top post.

Edited by FireFish

You can't edit a post after 5 mins :(

But you can copy it and paste it in, then you can add your information :)

Please copy & paste the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems.  If copy and paste doesn't work for you, just quote this post and fill in the missing information.

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)0
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)7.2
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? api 800 ?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55 gallon
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? AC50 and sponge filter
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?  I do 50% water changes thursdays(weekly) 
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? Currently without the oranda its 2 calico fantails they are 2in the oranda is 3 1/4in
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? tetra water conditioner
  • * What do you feed your fish and how oftennew life spectrum sinking small goldfish pellets, soilent green and veggies
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? new fish is the oranda
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?
Edited by shakaho

On July 28, 2017 at 11:08 AM, FireFish said:

Yes, sorry koko, I've been trying to figure out how to edit the original post and add the information at the top, but I don't know. And thank you mjfromga 

also shakaho, i'll keep maintaining the salt level with the water changes, and will update if anything.

~55g-bare bottom tank

Ammonia Level 0

Nitrite Level 0

Nitrate level 0

Ph level 7.2

api 800

Water temp 

tank size 55g  AC50 and sponge filter

I do 50% water changes I do on thursdays(weekly), except last week I was vacuuming the bottom again a day after the water change and ended up doing an extra 25% 

Currently without the oranda its 2 calico fantails they are 2in the oranda is 3 1/4in

I use tetra water conditioner

I feed new life spectrum sinking small goldfish pellets, soilent green and veggies.

new fish is the oranda- findings and behavior is at top post.

How are things going?