Sign in to follow this  
Mighty

My jikins are bottom sitting

How are thing's going today?

22 hours ago, Mighty said:

One of the two fancies looks very near death. He looked OK this morning and made it through all 5 minutes of 3% salt bath (I worked up to it this time - he had no problem with 2%). But he's not responding to being scooped up anymore. I moved him into his own tub for now so he doesn't get pushed around too much but he has very little gill movement. The other fancy looks alright. He's still eating and swimming but his gill movement looks exaggerated. I think I should stop with the salt baths.

Should I try something else? The oxy will be here Friday. Do I just have to wait? This seems like its getting so bad SO fast. Any ideas what might be causing this?

Are you Metroing this fish? 

2 hours ago, DawnMichele said:

How are thing's going today?

They are still not looking great but the one I thought was dying made it through the night

23 minutes ago, koko said:

Are you Metroing this fish? 

Yes double dosing

IM glad he made it through the night!!! Hope they feel better soon!!!

43 minutes ago, Mighty said:

They are still not looking great but the one I thought was dying made it through the night

Yes double dosing

What are you feeding? Are they still eating? 

19 minutes ago, koko said:

What are you feeding? Are they still eating? 

One of them is eating nls thera A pellets. The worse one isn't eating anything. Just sorta drifting around upside down

cant wait until the other meds get here tomorrow! :goldfish:

Edited by Mighty

56 minutes ago, Mighty said:

One of them is eating nls thera A pellets. The worse one isn't eating anything. Just sorta drifting around upside down

cant wait until the other meds get here tomorrow! :goldfish:

Ok I would like you to do this :)

Get some frozen blood worms and soak them in garlic juice. Then feed it to them. Feed only this for a few days :) 

9 minutes ago, koko said:

Ok I would like you to do this :)

Get some frozen blood worms and soak them in garlic juice. Then feed it to them. Feed only this for a few days :) 

Ok will do! I happen to have both of those things on hand

Woohoo meds came early! So I went ahead and dosed it according to the container. The container says 1/4 tsp per 40 gallons everyday for 10 days with 25% wc before each treatment. The website says something way different. Like 1 tsp for every 10-50 gallons. Should I just keep following the first one?

Edited by Mighty
Edit: For the oxytetracycline hydrochloride 100%

Please link to the website,

Without reading exactly what the container says I can't determine which instructions you should follow.

1 hour ago, shakaho said:

Without reading exactly what the container says I can't determine which instructions you should follow.

I think the OP said this is what the container says.

"The container says 1/4 tsp per 40 gallons everyday for 10 days with 25% wc before each treatment."

Site

"Dose at 1 tsp per 10-50 gallons depending on severity of infection. Re-treat every 24 hours for 10 days. Do a minimum 25% water change before each retreatment. Oxytetracycline Hydrochloride is a bacteriostatic that works on a few gram negative and many gram positive bacteria. Especially good for aerobic gram positive bacteria like streptococcus and staphylococcus. Best in pH below 7.6 unless mixed in food. It is not skin absorbed. High calcium neutralizes it. It will harm nitrifying bacteria. It combines well with Kanamycin Sulfate and Metronidazole for an ultra broad spectrum treatment."

Can we get a photo of what the container says :) 

4 minutes ago, koko said:

I think the OP said this is what the container says.

"The container says 1/4 tsp per 40 gallons everyday for 10 days with 25% wc before each treatment."

Site

"Dose at 1 tsp per 10-50 gallons depending on severity of infection. Re-treat every 24 hours for 10 days. Do a minimum 25% water change before each retreatment. Oxytetracycline Hydrochloride is a bacteriostatic that works on a few gram negative and many gram positive bacteria. Especially good for aerobic gram positive bacteria like streptococcus and staphylococcus. Best in pH below 7.6 unless mixed in food. It is not skin absorbed. High calcium neutralizes it. It will harm nitrifying bacteria. It combines well with Kanamycin Sulfate and Metronidazole for an ultra broad spectrum treatment."

Can we get a photo of what the container says :) 

90wFFVV.jpg

It looks like it was just packed by hand, no foil seal or anything, so I just wanted to check with you guys since the angelsplus site says something different

I suggest you contact Angels Plus, point out the conflicting instructions and ask which you should follow.  

Alrighty will do. One of the two died, but the remaining one actually looks a bit better.

1 hour ago, Mighty said:

Alrighty will do. One of the two died, but the remaining one actually looks a bit better.

So sorry to hear that.

Thank you guys, it looks like my fish is getting better. He is eating voraciously :) I contacted angels plus and he fixed the dosing error. It's supposed to be 1/4 tsp per 10-50 gallons. He suggested I use 1/4 tsp per 20 gallons. It doesn't look like any of my other goldfish caught it so hopefully I'm out of the woods now.. and if not, at least I will have the meds ready

I have been steadily losing a handful of fry everyday (out of 80). I crushed one near-dead fry under the scope and found what appears to be a Chilodonella infestation. I was never able to identify anything with my Jikin scrapes but I wonder if that could be what killed them.

Sorry your losing your fry.

What do you keep your fry in?

53 minutes ago, shakaho said:

What do you keep your fry in?

They are in a bare bottom 20 gallon with a sponge filter

How much water in the tank and how old are the fry?

1 hour ago, shakaho said:

How much water in the tank and how old are the fry?

It's filled to the top and they are one month old now

On July 19, 2017 at 10:08 AM, Mighty said:

One of the two fancies looks very near death. He looked OK this morning and made it through all 5 minutes of 3% salt bath (I worked up to it this time - he had no problem with 2%). But he's not responding to being scooped up anymore. I moved him into his own tub for now so he doesn't get pushed around too much but he has very little gill movement. The other fancy looks alright. He's still eating and swimming but his gill movement looks exaggerated. I think I should stop with the salt baths.

Should I try something else? The oxy will be here Friday. Do I just have to wait? This seems like its getting so bad SO fast. Any ideas what might be causing this?

Im sorry I couldn't get back to you and no one has said anything :(

How are we doing and did the med come?