Are Those Blue Juice Cup Bettas Okay?

SungMoKyung

Hi! I am thinking about starting a 10 gallon Betta setup and I would like to ask if those bettas in the cups (the ones with the blue juice stuff) at mainstream pet stores are okay to buy. I'd really like to rescue one of those guys but I' am worried it may come with diseases or die shortly after. Thank you.

The chain store bettas are always a roll of the dice. You don't know their heritage, you don't know how they've been treated, you don't know if their immune system is compromised. That said, I've had pretty good luck. My koi betta has been with me for a year, my doubletail male has been with me for ten months. My daughter's betta, however, got a tumor around two months after he came to live with us, and passed away after about seven months with us. He was a very entertaining fish, with lots of personality, and I can't regret knowing him. My personal opinion is that it's worth the risk, but I've noticed that the ones with big, heavy fins tend to bite their tails, fwiw.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk