Sign in to follow this  
Butterfly

Tail amputation

The short of the question: When can he return to gen pop?

I released this fish into my pond a week ago and came back 6 hours later to find him hiding between some rocks with his tail beaten to shreds. I am pretty sure my largest Koi did this which probably spells disaster for the other fish I released in the pond a week prior.

This picture is of the immediate aftermath.

ebceec04d56f53d3ccba1267d1d18279.jpg

I put him in a 10g QT with just an air stone, 95-100% water changes per day. 1-2 days later the remaining fine strands had fallen off or were falling off and the tail stump was covered with fuzzy white stuff. I cleaned most of this off with hydrogen peroxide figuring it was an opportunistic bacteria or fungus. A day or so later I got the rest with methylene blue. So this is what it looks like now.

83fa053e4c03bc9c0f54c3ce4e38d129.jpg

So I guess his name is Stump, at least for a while. The fish has been acting well etc. He originally came out of a 75g with his 5 bros/sis. I'd like to put him back in that tank since the pond doesn't seem like an option anymore. When do you think I can put him back?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry no one respond to you ... How is the fish now? 

Hi. Fish is the same more or less. Stump looks the same. Doesn't look infected. Acting the same. I've been thinking of putting him back in his old tank soon. I haven't been doing anything for him other than watching closely anyway. I can always pull him out if need be I guess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

:hi
I had a small fish go through an open filter intake :yikes and lost his tail. It grew back, misshapen but how could i possibly complain? I'm not sure where i posted this but i did make a thread documenting his recovery.

If it were me I'd keep the fish in QT until you got some good growth happening but i have no real reasoning behind that haha

Lol. I just put him back in he main tank yesterday. I was tired of looking at him all lonely in the QT. Tail stump looks fine, just needs to grow back now. I'll keep an eye on him of course to be sure it all stays healthy.

19 hours ago, Butterfly said:

Lol. I just put him back in he main tank yesterday. I was tired of looking at him all lonely in the QT. Tail stump looks fine, just needs to grow back now. I'll keep an eye on him of course to be sure it all stays healthy.

Hope he does well. 

how are we? 

Hi. Doing fine. Tail is growing back but the side of one caudal is deformed/truncated probably because of the severity of damage at the base. Will post a pic soon.

Been off of this and other forums for a while because of crazy life. Threw out my back today so I have some time on the couch today to catch up.

17 hours ago, Butterfly said:

Hi. Doing fine. Tail is growing back but the side of one caudal is deformed/truncated probably because of the severity of damage at the base. Will post a pic soon.

Been off of this and other forums for a while because of crazy life. Threw out my back today so I have some time on the couch today to catch up.

Oh no I hope you feel better. I have that pain for years :hug 

Here is the tail today. Still has a lot of growth to get back to previous length, it it ever will. Left side is relatively normal, right is deformed. The scales at the base have not grown back leaving a bit of a naked look.

69e1d71e645572fb59fccab41ec3a3b8.jpg

a7d3a30477debaa0b71fa009df3bf257.jpg

I think it looks pretty amazing, all things considered.  I had a fantail with a twisted tail lobe like the right side, and it didn’t impede swimming and wasn’t super noticeable unless you were looking.  For an amputation it’s really coming back in beautifully.

Wow that is impressive. Looking good for what this fish had. Great Job :thumbs: