Sign in to follow this  
titch

Piggy - dark patches, acne & lumpy scale

15 hours ago, koko said:

Video woman :wa 

Actually got this last night, after you shouted at me and before the battery on my phone died. There's a yawn at the beginning and few head shakes soon after.

I also attach some images - he has 3 small white spots in his tail. I guess I hadn't seen them whilst he was in QT as they were white-on-white. They're visible now he's in the the stealth tank. Wondered if maybe they're as a result of his tail trailing along the bottom of the QT, or maybe they're fluke sites?

I woke to LOTS of poop this morning. It's kinda light grey/green/yellow in colour and not very solid.

I'm thinking Fluke Solve in the main tank might be the way to go. Thoughts?

IMG_6975.JPGIMG_6989.JPGIMG_7006.JPGIMG_7007.JPG

I don't think they are flukes hun. I think the only thing that is going to work is. Acriflavine - 1 week to 2 weeks (instructions on the bottle). Its going to wipe out your cycle.

21 minutes ago, koko said:

I don't think they are flukes hun. I think the only thing that is going to work is. Acriflavine - 1 week to 2 weeks (instructions on the bottle). Its going to wipe out your cycle.

What do you think it is then?

Also, can you point me to the fish-in cycle instructions. Want to read up and get my head straight.

At the minute I'm a bit....

:blowup:

Not a happy bunny.

2 hours ago, titch said:

What do you think it is then?

Fungus spores hun.

2 hours ago, titch said:

Also, can you point me to the fish-in cycle instructions. Want to read up and get my head straight.

At the minute I'm a bit....

:blowup:

Not a happy bunny.

http://petfishclub.com/cycle-with-fish-fish-in-cycle/

to sick to type :( 

1 hour ago, koko said:

Fungus spores hun.

http://petfishclub.com/cycle-with-fish-fish-in-cycle/

to sick to type :(  

Thanks for this. Sorry you're not feeling well. Can you fill out the D&D form & someone will be along soon to help you out :teehee

How/where have the spores come from do you think? Might it have been, say, a lace plant bulb, for example?  :hummm

Edited by titch

So are we talking fungal spores from a plant or something else?

I assume the acriflavine will kill plants, snails etc? What can be hosts to these spores - can the plants be hosts? The sand? The walls of the tank even? Or just living organisms?

How do I go about dosing the acriflavine? It was fairly straightforward when Piggy was in QT, as I just redosed the full amount with each 100% WC. How do I do it now?

Currently, I'm doing 3 WC per week of 200 litres - Tuesday (today), Thursday & Saturday/Sunday - so should I redose only what I've removed or do the full amount with each WC (does it become less active when water bourne as with prazi)? 

This is my acriflavine. It says to repeat after 10 days and up to 4 times if necessary, but no mention of water changes.

Sorry for all the questions, I know you're poorly yourself. :ill

On the plus side, his poop is back to normal (short, solid and a good colour) and I didn't see him shake his head at all last night.

Acriflavine 2.JPGAcriflavine 1.JPG

Edited by titch

Hi @koko - can you clarify the above for me please? I haven't started dosing yet.

On August 15, 2017 at 6:05 AM, titch said:

So are we talking fungal spores from a plant or something else?

I think its from the pests you had then the fish rubbing his tail on the tank floor.

I assume the acriflavine will kill plants, snails etc? What can be hosts to these spores - can the plants be hosts? The sand? The walls of the tank even? Or just living organisms?

Im thinking that your other fish was a host. If so those little critters got on the filter I think. 

How do I go about dosing the acriflavine? It was fairly straightforward when Piggy was in QT, as I just redosed the full amount with each 100% WC. How do I do it now?

What I would do is a get new filter media, start out fresh and new Clean that tank and filter out. I would put him in a Qt tank with a Air stone. and Follow directions :)

This is about the last thing we can do for him. If this doesn't work hun I would say let the old man be :) 

Currently, I'm doing 3 WC per week of 200 litres - Tuesday (today), Thursday & Saturday/Sunday - so should I redose only what I've removed or do the full amount with each WC (does it become less active when water bourne as with prazi)? 

This is my acriflavine. It says to repeat after 10 days and up to 4 times if necessary, but no mention of water changes.

I can get some help on that. .

Acriflavine - 1 week to 2 weeks (instructions on the bottle). THIS IS WHAT I WOULD USE - Acriflavine will treat all: bacteria, fungus, and the parasite.

From a friend that is trying to help :)

Sorry for all the questions, I know you're poorly yourself. :ill

On the plus side, his poop is back to normal (short, solid and a good colour) and I didn't see him shake his head at all last night.

Acriflavine 2.JPGAcriflavine 1.JPG

On the other had if he's not acting funny anymore. I would let him have a break. All the meds can stress them out :) 

4 minutes ago, koko said:

What I would do is a get new filter media, start out fresh and new Clean that tank and filter out. I would put him in a Qt tank with a Air stone. and Follow directions :)

This is about the last thing we can do for him. If this doesn't work hun I would say let the old man be :) 

Confused. Am I treating the main tank or QTing him? Thought I was doing the main tank so it would nuke it and I'd have to start from scratch (cycle-wise) afterwards?

Also, the acriflavine will kill the snails and plants, yes?

Edited by titch

22 minutes ago, titch said:

Confused. Am I treating the main tank or QTing him? Thought I was doing the main tank so it would nuke it and I'd have to start from scratch (cycle-wise) afterwards?

We can do the main tank if you want or you can tear down the filter. yes you can do it that way. 

22 minutes ago, titch said:

Also, the acriflavine will kill the snails and plants, yes?

yes and yes. 

A snipped from a friend that has been giving me help with your fish :)

Just basing it on the setup, the diet and the pictures alone - I can already tell you what this infection is. This is a severe form of body flukes. No amount of metronidazole is going to cure this because this is not a one-celled protozoan infection but rather a fast multiplying group of parasites. The hemorrhaging/small ulcers all over the body --- these are all being attacked by the "worms" as it sucks blood and nourishes itself with skin fragments. This fish also now has secondary infections both bacterial and fungal from where the parasites have attacked it. The reason this is recurring is that it's populating in both her filters and along the water column of her tank. The gestation rate can be fast, in one month as much as a million young can be produced.

:o 

59 minutes ago, koko said:

We can do the main tank if you want or you can tear down the filter. yes you can do it that way. 

yes and yes. 

A snipped from a friend that has been giving me help with your fish :)

:o 

Thanks. Yes I remember that response when we were treating Winston. 

If I'm going to end up starting from scratch anyway then I may as well use the acriflavine as the tank nuker- just to be sure it's completely free from pests. I'd always be worried that a "deep clean" hadn't eradicated them all. 

Could you check how I should dose & redose please (with regards to WC)?

If the acriflavine nukes everything, will I still need to replace all the filter media? And if so, by all do you mean exactly that - everything or just sponges (I also have bio balls & ceramic rings)?

Hi Amy!!! Good luck with everything!!!

Just now, DawnMichele said:

Hi Amy!!! Good luck with everything!!!

Thanks Dawn. I've not had much luck up until now have I?!  :thumbdown

17 minutes ago, titch said:

Thanks. Yes I remember that response when we were treating Winston. 

If I'm going to end up starting from scratch anyway then I may as well use the acriflavine as the tank nuker- just to be sure it's completely free from pests. I'd always be worried that a "deep clean" hadn't eradicated them all. 

Could you check how I should dose & redose please (with regards to WC)?

If the acriflavine nukes everything, will I still need to replace all the filter media? And if so, by all do you mean exactly that - everything or just sponges (I also have bio balls & ceramic rings)?

Let me ask :) Just to make sure :) 

26 minutes ago, koko said:

Let me ask :) Just to make sure :) 

Thank you. Sorry for being the forum problem child! :rolleyes:

P.s. does your friend know if there's a way to treat the snails or not?

Edited by titch

3 minutes ago, titch said:

P.s. does your friend know if there's a way to treat the snails or not?

I can say treating snails is very hard. Most meds will kill them :( 

3 minutes ago, koko said:

I can say treating snails is very hard. Most meds will kill them :( 

Figured that. I don't want to kill them so I'll remove them to a spare tank when I start treating (just a bit of a PITA to have a tank just for 3 snails that can't ever go back in the main tank). 

Just wondered if they had heard of anything that had worked in the past?

Just now, titch said:

Figured that. I don't want to kill them so I'll remove them to a spare tank when I start treating (just a bit of a PITA to have a tank just for 3 snails that can't ever go back in the main tank). 

Just wondered if they had heard of anything that had worked in the past?

Ill ask but I think we know the answer though :( 

:hiHi Amy. How are things going?

4 minutes ago, DawnMichele said:

:hiHi Amy. How are things going?

:hi Dawn

No news at the minute. I've not started treating yet, just waiting on re-dosing instructions for WCs.

He's doing a *bit* of head shaking, but nothing as significant as the video shows. The blister on his side seems to have 'inflated' a bit more since going back in the main tank, but hopefully the acriflavine will ease this once we get going.

37 minutes ago, titch said:

No news at the minute. I've not started treating yet, just waiting on re-dosing instructions for WCs.

He's doing a *bit* of head shaking, but nothing as significant as the video shows. The blister on his side seems to have 'inflated' a bit more since going back in the main tank, but hopefully the acriflavine will ease this once we get going.

Hope he does better.  

9 hours ago, titch said:

Still waiting. If no answer let see if Sharon, Helen or FF know. If AM see this too :) 

Asking for help from our Team :) 

Okay Run it the exact same way you did it last time. Same way AM told ya hun :)