Piggy - dark patches, acne & lumpy scale

titch

• Helper

He looks a ton better and seems to be tolerating it well.  Continue until no external links or zits remain.  If he begins bottom sitting then you can also discontinue.

If another course/kind of treatment is needed another team member will take it over.  I'm still checking in as I can but it's spotty :)

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

He looks a ton better and seems to be tolerating it well.  Continue until no external links or zits remain.  If he begins bottom sitting then you can also discontinue.

If another course/kind of treatment is needed another team member will take it over.  I'm still checking in as I can but it's spotty :)

What are you doing up?! Wasn't expecting any kind of response for a few hours yet! :teehee

Thanks Taryl. Yes, he's looking heaps better. I'll carry on with the Acriflavine then & keep swabbing. He's very much active - so much so I had to take 50+ pics to get those!

16 minutes ago, DawnMichele said:

Hi Amy. Glad he is doing well.  :)

Thanks Dawn. That shopping trip might be getting closer! :)

Edited by titch

Update...

We're now on day 19 of Acriflavine & day 10 of swabbing twice daily. 

Thoughts? Should I continue as is?

Photos taken just now (prior to WC & 2nd swab of the day).

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

• Helper

Hm.  It doesn't look much different.  Discontinue swabbing and all meds, let's just observe him over the next week and see if anything changes.  If he remains the same and has no new spots you can probably put him back in the silver treated tank.  We want three-ish weeks of the main tank being empty so any parasite that couldn't find a host was killed, but then it theoretically should be safe.  I think this was an ectoparasite, based on the response to the acriflavine, and the blister was an attachment site that got infected.

9 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

Hm.  It doesn't look much different.  Discontinue swabbing and all meds, let's just observe him over the next week and see if anything changes.  If he remains the same and has no new spots you can probably put him back in the silver treated tank.  We want three-ish weeks of the main tank being empty so any parasite that couldn't find a host was killed, but then it theoretically should be safe.  I think this was an ectoparasite, based on the response to the acriflavine, and the blister was an attachment site that got infected.

Awesome, thanks Taryl! :bighug

Fingers crossed then. I'll check in over the weekend to let you know how we're getting on.

How long do you and @koko think I should carry on with the silver for? So far the tank has had 2 silver treatments (once per week) of 1tsp each time after a WC.

Please note - the snails have remained in the main tank all this time. Could they be hosts?

2 minutes ago, koko said:

I would go 2-3 more treatments of silver. Looks like he's doing better :) 

Thanks, will do.

Still at the same rate - 1tsp once a week after one of the 3 weekly WCs?

5 minutes ago, koko said:

yup yup :) 

I'm on it! :)

p.s. - just in case Taryl doesn't check in, what d'ya reckon...

6 hours ago, titch said:

Please note - the snails have remained in the main tank all this time. Could they be hosts?

Edited by titch

54 minutes ago, koko said:

Whatcha mean? 

About the snails. Might they be hosts to the ectoparasite? They've remained in the tank all the while Piggy has been in QT. 

If they are hosts, will the parasite have remained in the tank, living on them, just waiting for Piggy to return?

Or am I over thinking it?

• Admin
5 hours ago, titch said:

About the snails. Might they be hosts to the ectoparasite? They've remained in the tank all the while Piggy has been in QT. 

If they are hosts, will the parasite have remained in the tank, living on them, just waiting for Piggy to return?

Or am I over thinking it?

I know that snails can carry things. I really don't know if that is a problem or not. Lets see what AM thinks :)

• Helper

They could be a host but there isn't much for it but killing them, any quarantine treatment I can think of that would kill the pest would kill the snail too.

10 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

They could be a host but there isn't much for it but killing them, any quarantine treatment I can think of that would kill the pest would kill the snail too.

Don't really want to do that obviously :no:

Is there any way to check/be sure? I guess not or you'd have suggested it. 

What would you do? Should I risk it in the hope they're not hosts?

• Helper

Well did you treat them with silver?  There is nothing else you can do - it's pretty much a risk it or move them to their own space situation.

3 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Well did you treat them with silver?  There is nothing else you can do - it's pretty much a risk it or move them to their own space situation.

Yes, they've have the 2 silver doses (3 more to come).

• Helper

The silver should help.  I cannot promise they're parasite free but that should have been a help.  Raising the temperature on them as close to 90 F as you can should also assist.

Update...

Day 23 of QT. Day 4 of clean water  (no meds)

To my eyes, there doesn't appear to have been any further changes. Photos taken just now.

I do however think he's fed up of being in a tub. Looking forward to being able to get him back in the tank so he can stretch his fins & root about in the sand.

Main tank has just had its Sunday WC & 3rd silver dose.

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

I'm back & after your thoughts please... I think we may need to treat again...

I've noticed he has a reddish patch on the base of his tail, on the left side. To be fair he's has this for a while. I also notice he tends to curl his tail over to the left when at rest (not sure if this is a sign of anything).

He's been twitching the base of his tail quite frequently over the last 24 hours or so, which makes me think something is irritating him - maybe the parasite is still present at this site? I also see some streaks in his tail.

There's a fair bit of (what I think is) slime coat in his tub, accumulating on the heater and at the water line.

I attach a lot of pics I'm afraid. The first 2 are of him before QT just so you can see how it looked before we started treating (very similar, yes?).

IMG_6730.JPGIMG_6729.JPGIMG_6626.JPGIMG_6632.JPGIMG_6642.JPGIMG_6678.JPGIMG_6715.JPGIMG_6722.JPGIMG_6724.JPGIMG_6796.JPGIMG_6797.JPGIMG_6798.JPG

IMG_6717.JPG