Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
titch

Piggy - dark patches, acne & lumpy scale

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

For sedating I usually do 1/2 a teaspoon of clove oil in two cups water.

Really? That seems a lot.

By my calculations, there are approx 4 cups in 1 litre. Assuming 10 litres to comfortably house him to sedate, that's 10tsp (or 5 bottles of clove oil). I didn't use that much to euth Dad or Winston. 

9 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

As long as you move him to fresh reasonably quickly afterward it should cause no problem.

What do you deem to be reasonably quickly - 1 minute? 5 minutes?

Just fresh clean water only? How soon after can I dose the Acriflavine?

Also, how often am I swabbing with meth blue? Just the once or everyday?

9 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

Poop looks okay for a sick, stressed fish.

So you're not concerned that I haven't seen any poop since going into QT (pics were from the couple of days before I moved him from the main tank)?

I'm sorry for all the questions, but I want to get it right. Sedation is a big deal to me - getting it wrong could mean...well...you know.

It's not something I've done before. I'm still learning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hun this video Helen made talks about putting the fish down but at the beginning she talks about how she sedates them :)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the link Koko, I couldn't remember where to find the video.  Euthabizing isn't about the quantity of oil but rather depressing of respiration until brain death.

 

I misunderstood the poop wasn't in QT, but I can't make him poop and you can't either.  Does his belly feel tight or hard or is his shape becoming irregular?  That would suggest s blockage of some sort, possibly from an infection.

 

I'd personally keep him in water and pop and clean the blister, if it is one and not a tumor, in under a minute. Swab with the meth blue twice daily after that until it is healed.

 

If he dies under sedation I'd expect there was another underlying issue, to be honest.  But I haven't seen it happen myself, I've seen them go still and unresponsive but they bounce back reasonably quickly in fresh water - usually well under five minutes once the clove oil is rinsed off.  You should see slow fluttering if his gills throughout the process.  And remember you have a choice here, this process would be easy to do without sedation so long as you had a second pair of hands or were fast.  You don't need to do it for something so minor but you asked.

 

And with that I'm done.  I will keep an eye on this thread but we are nearly packed and moved and I won't even have internet through much of the trip.  I will keep an eye and check back in when I can, but I'm pretty much unavailable for the next month.  If this treatment doesn't work we will look st antiparasite treatments next, and Kanaplex as a last resort.  But please don't feel I'm ignoring you. I'm just really busy in real life from here on out.

Edited by Arctic Mama

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Taryl, really appreciate it as I know how busy you must be.

Good luck with move. Hope all goes well for you & your family. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update...

I did the popping on Sunday and all went well. Definitely looks and feels like a blood blister (soft like jelly).

Some blood and green crud came out, but actually not a lot - certainly not as much as I was expecting, considering the size of lump (perhaps it had already burst some time ago?).

IMG_6399.JPG

After popping, the lump itself didn't seem to reduce in size and I thought perhaps it had filled back up with blood etc (as blisters sometimes can), so took the decision to have another go yesterday, this time using a scalpel blade, just to ensure I'd opened it up enough to release anything inside. I made a small incision, but there doesn't appear to be any more crud inside the lump.

It still looks lumpy, and I'm assuming this is because it's been there so long that the skin/scale has been stretched, so actually what I'm seeing is saggy skin. I'm swabbing twice a day with meth blue and will continue to do so for the time being.

In the end, I chose not to sedate and he was a real champ throughout - he wasn't at all bothered about being held (once he'd had an initial thrash about that is).

If I'm quite honest, since being in QT with the Acriflavine, he's perked right up - he's far more active than he's been in a long while. His 'acne' has also reduced significantly. Oh and I've finally seen some normal poop! All is good in the world! :teehee

He went into the 10th dose/day of Acriflavine yesterday. Do you want me to continue to 14 days or stop with this treatment? 

Edited by titch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, titch said:

He went into the 10th dose/day of Acriflavine yesterday. Do you want me to continue to 14 days or stop with this treatment? 

Always go the full 14 days. If thats what the box says :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, koko said:

Always go the full 14 days. If thats what the box says :) 

It doesn't. That's what Taryl said we might do...

"His pimples do look a bit better which is what I was hoping for, so continue the treatment the full ten days.  We may extend it to 14 depending on how he looks then.  I don't think we need any antibiotics at this time."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, titch said:

It doesn't. That's what Taryl said we might do...

"His pimples do look a bit better which is what I was hoping for, so continue the treatment the full ten days.  We may extend it to 14 depending on how he looks then.  I don't think we need any antibiotics at this time."

I would go the 14 days. A friend of mine said that the 14 days is a good mark in using this. So please go the full 14 days. :) Im so glad he is feeling better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, will do. Thanks.

Just taken these. Not the best pictures (his tub isn't very transparent) but hopefully you can see his face looks SO much better now...

image.jpegimage.jpeg

How long would you expect his blister to take to heal?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, titch said:

How long would you expect his blister to take to heal?

Don't know. Just like humans, we all heal at different rates. We will just have to see :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, koko said:

Don't know. Just like humans, we all heal at different rates. We will just have to see :) 

And just because you love my daft questions... what would you define as healed? Will the dark colour go? Will the lump completely disappear? :hummm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, titch said:

And just because you love my daft questions... what would you define as healed? Will the dark colour go? Will the lump completely disappear? :hummm

:lol

I would think healed would be, lump mostly gone to gone and hoping that the scale will grow back :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad everything went well.  :thumbup2:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, DawnMichele said:

Glad everything went well.  :thumbup2:

Thanks Dawn. Hopefully won't be too much longer before I can go FISH SHOPPING!!!!!! :greenbanana::redbanana::nana:panana

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, titch said:

Thanks Dawn. Hopefully won't be too much longer before I can go FISH SHOPPING!!!!!! :greenbanana::redbanana::nana:panana

Oh yeah!!!!  :pianobanana   What kind do you want to get???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, DawnMichele said:

Oh yeah!!!!  :pianobanana   What kind do you want to get???

ALL OF THEM!! Mwahahahahaha! :lol:

or in fact just Orandas & Ranchu. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, sorry.  Fourteen days since it seems to be helping and that will also inhibit any further bacterial growth in the wound.  We can actually run the acriflavine longer if his zits aren't cleared up by two weeks out.  It's not like an antibiotic, so if he is improving but looks like we need more time we can add doses.

 

Great job on the fishy lancing.  I was suspicious it was infected and what came our indicates as much.  Keep up the swabbing until it looks reasonably healed over :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, titch said:

ALL OF THEM!! Mwahahahahaha! :lol:

or in fact just Orandas & Ranchu. 

I LOVE Oranda's!!!  :rockon  Look out!!!! I might come and steal them!!!!  :Beware:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

Yes, sorry.  Fourteen days since it seems to be helping and that will also inhibit any further bacterial growth in the wound.  We can actually run the acriflavine longer if his zits aren't cleared up by two weeks out.  It's not like an antibiotic, so if he is improving but looks like we need more time we can add doses.

Great job on the fishy lancing.  I was suspicious it was infected and what came our indicates as much.  Keep up the swabbing until it looks reasonably healed over :)

Thanks for checking in Taryl.

I'll update on his pimples in a few more days then. I hope the lump goes down, but it's not showing any signs of disappearing at the minute.

10 hours ago, DawnMichele said:

I LOVE Oranda's!!!  :rockon  Look out!!!! I might come and steal them!!!!  :Beware:

:stop They're mine I tell you....ALL MINE!!!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, titch said:

Thanks for checking in Taryl.

I'll update on his pimples in a few more days then. I hope the lump goes down, but it's not showing any signs of disappearing at the minute.

:stop They're mine I tell you....ALL MINE!!!!! 

We shall see about that!!!!  :pp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just for info, I've just weighed Piggy for the first time - he's 370g and about 6.5" (without tail).

Really wish I'd weighed all my guys when I bought them & kept a diary. Will definitely do that when I get some new squishy heads. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm glad the procedure went well! 370grams! wow. And I thought my Spice was big, he is about 330 grams I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, FishyMandy said:

I'm glad the procedure went well! 370grams! wow. And I thought my Spice was big, he is about 330 grams I think.

Thanks Mandy - me too. Don't know what I was so worried about :whistle

I always knew he was a big boy, but I didn't realise quite how big. It makes me wonder how big Dad (my fantail) was, as he looked to be bigger than Piggy. Gutted I didn't buy a scale before now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18 July 2017 at 7:39 PM, koko said:

I would go the 14 days. A friend of mine said that the 14 days is a good mark in using this. So please go the full 14 days. :) Im so glad he is feeling better. 

 

On 18 July 2017 at 11:40 PM, Arctic Mama said:

Yes, sorry.  Fourteen days since it seems to be helping and that will also inhibit any further bacterial growth in the wound.  We can actually run the acriflavine longer if his zits aren't cleared up by two weeks out.

Piggy went into his 14th dose of Acriflavine last night. 

Pictures taken just now. I actually think his lump/blister is going down. Face looks improved too. Shall I continue with the Acriflavine a little while longer?

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
  • Create New...