Sign in to follow this  
titch

Piggy - dark patches, acne & lumpy scale

17 minutes ago, koko said:

I do think so . I looked up on the web and it says that in the UK you have to get a prescription from a Vet. :o

What else can we use then? hummm...

Ah good ol' uk red tape eh? :thumbdown

Might Acriflavine not be enough on its own then?

9 minutes ago, titch said:

I don't know right now, will be looking up for you unless AM and Sharon have some thoughts. 

6 hours ago, titch said:

It very well might.  Did you say you saw this come out of him in quarantine or was it just hanging around in the tank?

9 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

Did you say you saw this come out of him in quarantine or was it just hanging around in the tank?

Do you think I'd be this calm if I saw it come out of him?!!!! :teeheeI WOULD HAVE FREAKED!!!!

It was in the main tank, swimming about on Sunday after my WC. So far, I've only seen this one.

Piggy was removed from the main tank a day earlier on Saturday - I've seen nothing unusual in the QT tub with him.

16 hours ago, titch said:

9 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

It very well might.

If it's ok with you then, I'll hold fire on the Levamisole until we know more/see how he does on the Acriflavine. Is this ok?

I haven't found anywhere in the UK to buy it from. It appears to be an import only med.

A teaspoon is 5 ml.

The "worm" is clearly an insect larva.  I wonder if it is a bloodworm.  Anything that treats anchor worms or fish lice will kill it.

19 minutes ago, shakaho said:

A teaspoon is 5 ml.

The "worm" is clearly an insect larva.  I wonder if it is a bloodworm.  Anything that treats anchor worms or fish lice will kill it.

Thanks Sharon. So, in your opinion, is the larvae anything to be concerned about?

I assume, if it is an insect larvae, it's unlikely to be related to Piggy's issues?

:hi Howdy Titch!!!! How's it going???

7 minutes ago, DawnMichele said:

:hi Howdy Titch!!!! How's it going???

I have no idea Dawn! :rofl3

My husband pointed out to me last night that I currently have a lovely 600 litre tank for 3 snails. No fish. Just plants & snails! One day, hopefully, I'll put all this QT nonsense behind me and actually have a tank full of gorgeous squishy faces to enjoy! :rolleyes:

Apart from my fishy woes, all good thanks! It's my first day back at work after returning from holibobs and all I've accomplished today is to trawl through my inbox :thud

p.s. my name really is Amy. I'm sorry I messed with your head about that :teehee

1 hour ago, titch said:

One day you will have a tank full of beautiful squishy face's!!!! 

PS I will get you back for messin with my head Amy!!!!  :Beware: :lol:

1 hour ago, DawnMichele said:

PS I will get you back for messin with my head Amy!!!!  :Beware: :lol:

I don't doubt it!! :pp

Yes, you can hold fire on the levamisole. If it was in the quarantine tank I'd be more concerned.

Wednesday update as promised...

He went into his 4th dose of Acriflavine last night. So far, I don't see much, if any, change to the lumps. Should I expect them to reduce?

His 'acne' looks somewhat better on his face though.

The pictures aren't great I'm afraid. If there's something specific you want me to focus on, let me know and I'll try to take some more for you.

Note: the first 3 pics are some of the original pics I used in my first post (reposting due to Photobucket being useless!).

IMG_6280.JPGIMG_6315.JPGIMG_6317.JPG

The next pics were taken this morning (a bit harder to photograph in a tub on the floor)...

IMG_6371.JPGIMG_6374.JPGIMG_6375.JPGIMG_6377.JPGIMG_6383.JPG

If you're up for it I'd like you to try and lance the lumpy scale and swab it with meth blue or hydrogen peroxide. I'm thinking it's a blood blister and not tumorous, and this would be a way to check.

His pimples do look a bit better which is what I was hoping for, so continue the treatment the full ten days.  We may extend it to 14 depending on how he looks then.  I don't think we need any antibiotics at this time.

15 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

If you're up for it I'd like you to try and lance the lumpy scale and swab it with meth blue or hydrogen peroxide. I'm thinking it's a blood blister and not tumorous, and this would be a way to check.

His pimples do look a bit better which is what I was hoping for, so continue the treatment the full ten days.  We may extend it to 14 depending on how he looks then.  I don't think we need any antibiotics at this time.

Oh Taryl, I'm really not sure I'm brave enough for that :no: 

Just the idea of it scares me.

Is there any other way to tell if it is just a blood blister (without being invasive that is)?

If it is, is it harmless (he'll be fine to live as-is) or will it make him ill/die (if I don't do the procedure)?

Edited by titch

Um... its just popping a blister with a sharp needle?  You'd just slip the needle under the scale and apply pressure with one finger of your left hand against the side of the blister while poking it with your right hand holding the needle.  It's not hard and you can even sedate your fish with some clove oil if you want, but it would just take a minute and he easy if someone else was holding the fish with his gills still down in the water.  I'm probably explaining it badly but it's completely harmless.

If pus or blood comes out good!  If the mass feels solid and doesn't want to prick with the needle it could be a growth instead.

I'm suggesting popping it if it is so we can get some antiseptic in there and clean out any infection.  You could leave it but there is a chance it could get worse and the infection could spread if it isn't treated.  Then again, it could go away on its own but it hasn't so far or I wouldn't have suggested it.

Youre popping and cleaning out a fish blister/zit.  That's it.

16 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

I'm suggesting popping it if it is so we can get some antiseptic in there and clean out any infection.  You could leave it but there is a chance it could get worse and the infection could spread if it isn't treated.  Then again, it could go away on its own but it hasn't so far or I wouldn't have suggested it.

Youre popping and cleaning out a fish blister/zit.  That's it.

Ok, popping with a pin & lancing are two completely different things in my book. Popping I can do. Sorry for the overreaction. 

Better get hunting for some meth blue/hydrogen peroxide I guess.

Either one is fine, whatever antiseptic you have on hand.  Betadine or iodine are also fine.

17 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Either one is fine, whatever antiseptic you have on hand.  Betadine or iodine are also fine.

I don't have any I'm afraid. I'll order something first thing tomorrow. 

Can I do it as soon as I have it or should I wait until the course of Acriflavine is done?

Do it while the acriflavine is in.  Hydrogen peroxide is obviously going to be cheapest, and it's at any drug/grocery store :)

18 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Do it while the acriflavine is in.  Hydrogen peroxide is obviously going to be cheapest, and it's at any drug/grocery store :)

Ordered the meth blue this morning. Will arrive tomorrow. 

15 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

Do it while the acriflavine is in.

Hello....worrywart is back again :hi

My meth blue has arrived, so just need to run through the procedure please.

I think I'll have to sedate him to do the popping - he doesn't cope with being handled at all well, and he's a big boy, so it may make things easier too. Sadly, I've only ever used clove oil to euth, so can you let me know how to sedate (ratio of oil to water) and also, more importantly, how to revive after the procedure.

Once he's sedated, can I remove him from the water and lay on a wet towel to do the popping, or should I keep him submerged?

How often should I swab with meth blue? Just the once, or every day?

If there's anything else I've forgotten/should keep in mind, just let me know. I know, I know, I'm a worrier. But I like to plan and be sure I know what I'm doing.

Finally, I haven't seen any 'proper' poo since he went into QT. I have noticed the odd clear cast, but very small (like 1cm long). He has been known to see poo as a food source, suck it in, chew it up and spit it out, which disintegrates it and leaves it somewhat unrecognisable (and barely visible). What do you think? Should the Acriflavine have sorted out his wierd poo issue? I've reattached the images from my initial post which shows the wide range of poos he was displaying in the couple of days before he went into QT.

I'll feed peas tonight to see if I can get him to pass something more akin to proper poop!

IMG_6329.JPGIMG_6332.JPGIMG_6333.JPGIMG_6334.JPGIMG_6338.JPG

Hi Amy. How's everything going?

Poop looks okay for a sick, stressed fish.

For sedating I usually do 1/2 a teaspoon of clove oil in two cups water.  As long as you move him to fresh reasonably quickly afterward it should cause no problem.  And yes, you can take him out and do it on a towel but you would need to irrigate his gills with water from a dropper every thirty seconds or so.