Sign in to follow this  
titch

Piggy - dark patches, acne & lumpy scale

22 minutes ago, DawnMichele said:

:hi Hi Amy. How's your cat and piggy doing? 

Hiya Dawn!

Fimble is doing better thanks. Her legs weren't really working properly on Friday night, and they deteriorated over the weekend. The vet thinks it's arthritis so has prescribed an anti-inflammatory. So far it seems to be doing the trick, but if she takes a turn again he wants to do some x-rays.

Piggy will get his 2nd injection in a couple of hours when I'm home from work. Bit nervous if I'm honest. I've never had to administer an injection before. The vet showed us where & how to inject and I've watched a couple of online videos, so I think I know what I'm doing. Just hope he's not in a wriggly kinda mood!!

7 minutes ago, titch said:

Hiya Dawn!

Fimble is doing better thanks. Her legs weren't really working properly on Friday night, and they deteriorated over the weekend. The vet thinks it's arthritis so has prescribed an anti-inflammatory. So far it seems to be doing the trick, but if she takes a turn again he wants to do some x-rays.

Piggy will get his 2nd injection in a couple of hours when I'm home from work. Bit nervous if I'm honest. I've never had to administer an injection before. The vet showed us where & how to inject and I've watched a couple of online videos, so I think I know what I'm doing. Just hope he's not in a wriggly kinda mood!!

Glad Fimble is doing better.  IM sure you will do just fine when giving Piggy his injection.  :hug

21 hours ago, DawnMichele said:

Glad Fimble is doing better.  IM sure you will do just fine when giving Piggy his injection.  :hug

It went much better than I'd hoped. Piggy was fairly chilled about it all.

2 down, 5 to go. :flex:

1 hour ago, titch said:

It went much better than I'd hoped. Piggy was fairly chilled about it all.

2 down, 5 to go. :flex:

Glad it went well. 

I hope the injections help! You're doing great

9 minutes ago, FishyMandy said:

I hope the injections help! You're doing great

Thanks Mandy! :hug

Just an update for you guys. I completed the course of Baytril but saw no improvement in the blister.

Yesterday, I took Piggy to the vets for a check-over and scrapes. The vet removed the majority of the blister with a scalpel and said he thought that the scales underneath were basically dead/rotting. After removing part of the lump, we saw clean skin underneath. I've just received a call with his verdict of the scapes...

Basically, the scrapes showed no signs of infection or parasites. Woop!! The only things he saw were pigment cells and after consulting with a Koi breeder/keeper (he showed him photos of Piggy as well as the scrapes) he has determined his blister could be either a) a melanoma or b) a pigment cell tumor. He said that I could expect it to return and possibly get bigger over time, but neither were cause for concern.

He's happy that Piggy can return to the main tank and can have some new friends without fear of passing anything nasty onto them.

I just need to monitor him and if the lump worsens or gets extreme then we can look at surgery to remove it, but at this stage he doesn't think that's necessary.

Edited by titch

:thumbup2:

Piggy went back into the main tank on Sunday :carrot: He's sooooooo much happier. MUCH better than being in that stupid tub!

Anyhow, just wondered what you guys think about putting my snails back in there too (just the 2 nerites now, I lost one :()?

I took them out back in August on the off chance they were hosts to the suspected parasite attacking Piggy. As it is, the vet doesn't believe the issue was a parasite, so would I be ok popping them back in with him?

Thoughts? :hummm

Edited by titch

Yay Piggy! can we see pics of him back in the main tank? :D

I think the snails would be ok, but wait for confirmation from Koko :)

1 hour ago, FishyMandy said:

I can't believe I haven't taken any!! I'll get snapping :photo:

Will do - hopefully they can go back in. One less WC to do!! :teehee

Edited by titch

On 23/11/2017 at 10:35 AM, titch said:

Anyhow, just wondered what you guys think about putting my snails back in there too (just the 2 nerites now, I lost one :()?

I took them out back in August on the off chance they were hosts to the suspected parasite attacking Piggy. As it is, the vet doesn't believe the issue was a parasite, so would I be ok popping them back in with him?

Thoughts? :hummm

On 23/11/2017 at 10:59 AM, FishyMandy said:

@koko - what do you think - yay or nay?

20 hours ago, titch said:

@koko - what do you think - yay or nay?

I don't see why not :thumbs: 

17 minutes ago, koko said:

I don't see why not :thumbs: 

Fab!! Thank you. 

On 11/23/2017 at 10:59 AM, FishyMandy said:

Ta daa!

IMG_7837.jpgIMG_7836.jpgIMG_7829.jpg

WOOOT look at the he seems to be happy he's back in there :) 

10 minutes ago, koko said:

WOOOT look at the he seems to be happy he's back in there :) 

Yup. He's much happier. So am I!! :rolleyes:

14 minutes ago, titch said:

Yup. He's much happier. So am I!! :rolleyes:

I bet you guys have been through a lot :)