Sign in to follow this  
GoggleHat

New goldfish, should I treat my tank with PraziPro?

I'm adding a new goldfish to a currently empty 35 gallon tank. The goldfish is a 2.5 inch Ranchu. Should I treat the water upon receiving the fish to help it? Some have recommended I treat it with PraziPro, some say half a dose of Ick medicine, and some have said to do nothing... I'd like to make sure this fish does well, any suggestions?

Yes, treat with prazi for at least two weeks.  We use 0.3% salt during quarantine, which can handle pre-symptomatic pathogens and parasites.  That same salt concentration treats ich safely and effectively, so we don't use the harsher ich medications.

1 hour ago, shakaho said:

Yes, treat with prazi for at least two weeks.  We use 0.3% salt during quarantine, which can handle pre-symptomatic pathogens and parasites.  That same salt concentration treats ich safely and effectively, so we don't use the harsher ich medications.

Should I start out with a smaller tank for the new fish? To make it easier? Or just go straight to the 35 gallon tank? Also, should I add some epsom salts or something or just stick with PraziPro?

1 hour ago, GoggleHat said:

Should I start out with a smaller tank for the new fish? To make it easier? Or just go straight to the 35 gallon tank? Also, should I add some epsom salts or something or just stick with PraziPro?

You could treat them in another tank. I have a 36 gallon bow front and treated both of my fish in there. 

You can treat the tank with Prazi and salt at the same time. You will want to use Aquarium salt or Mortans Canning Salt. I would also suggest a scale as salts come in different sizes and its easier to weigh it out :) 

I suggest you put 10 gallons of water in the 35 and put the fish in that.  This gives the combination of shallow water and plenty of swimming room that goldfish thrive in.  Since medicine doses are usually given per 10 gallons, this also makes any needed medication easy on you.

Why would you want to add epsom salt?

Awesome, thanks for the suggestions! So what about setting up a 10 gallon tank with water cycled in my 35 gallon? As the temporary monitoring tank, I suppose.

49 minutes ago, GoggleHat said:

Awesome, thanks for the suggestions! So what about setting up a 10 gallon tank with water cycled in my 35 gallon? As the temporary monitoring tank, I suppose.

Qt tanks normally aren't Cycled due to the fact that most Meds will kill it anyway :)

but a 10 gallon QT tank is always handy to have and to treat. I didn't have one so I treated my whole tank as I didn't think about Sharon's idea :) 

You can use a 10 gallon tank, but you lose the shallow water and large swimming area of the bigger tank with 10 gallons.  Prazi and salt will not affect your cycle.  

btw, how often should I change the tank if I go with the 10 gallon?

Edited by GoggleHat

I recommend Daily Water Changes on an uncycled QT :)

9 hours ago, GoggleHat said:

btw, how often should I change the tank if I go with the 10 gallon?

Daily.

I must say I don't understand the desire to put an only fish in an uncycled 10 gallon tank for treatment with salt and prazi when a larger empty cycled tank is available.  

I usually recommend a shallow 10 gallon container like this for a hospital/quarantine tank for the swimming area and gas exchange, both of which aid recovery.  But a large tank with shallow water and a cycled filter makes it so much easier.

I think there must be a problem here that I don't know about.  Would you explain?

I must say I don't understand the desire to put an only fish in an uncycled 10 gallon tank for treatment with salt and prazi when a larger empty cycled tank is available.  

I usually recommend a shallow 10 gallon container like this for a hospital/quarantine tank for the swimming area and gas exchange, both of which aid recovery.  But a large tank with shallow water and a cycled filter makes it so much easier.

I think there must be a problem here that I don't know about.  Would you explain?

The 10 gallon has cycled water, and the intention is to monitor and treat the fish in a smaller and more controlled temporary space.

What is cycled water?

2 hours ago, shakaho said:

What is cycled water?

I would assume it refers to the water of a cycled tank. I've heard people mention it in that manner before, does cycling have nothing to do with the water??

Alright, so I received the fish today and placed it in the 10 gallon tank with half a teaspoon of PraziPro. I would really appreciate it if there were any other recommendations and the like, I've never properly treated or quarantined a fish before.

Do you have fish in the tank that the "cycled water" comes from?  Or do you put ammonia in it so that you get nitrate?

Would you please give a link to someplace that has used this term because it makes no sense to me whatsoever.  A cycled tank makes sense as does a cycled filter.  Is it the same as the ancient term "aged water" which used to mean water that had been removed during a water change?

Do you have fish in the tank that the "cycled water" comes from?  Or do you put ammonia in it so that you get nitrate?

Would you please give a link to someplace that has used this term because it makes no sense to me whatsoever.  A cycled tank makes sense as does a cycled filter.  Is it the same as the ancient term "aged water" which used to mean water that had been removed during a water change?

Basically it's water that I have left in a tank with a few decorations decorations, anubias plants, some leftover bacteria from goldfish but no actual fish, and has run through a filter for about a week. That's what I'm trying to refer to. The water has 0 ppm on both ammonia and nitrate. /the fish is currently in a 10 gallon tank with a filter, airstone, a few fake plants, no gravel, a heater/thermometer, with water from the planted tank. I added half a teaspoon of PraxiPro to the water, let it mix through the 10 tank, and after leaving the bag with the fish in the tank water for 20 minutes, I cut the bag open and let the fish into the 10 gallon.

Edited by GoggleHat

Here is a great link on how to do the Prazi :)

16 minutes ago, koko said:

Here is a great link on how to do the Prazi :)

I'm actually a bit confused by this. Which should I go by for the observation/treatment? Do I add more with each water change? I am clueless...

Is there something wrong with your tap water that makes you want to use old tank water?

11 hours ago, GoggleHat said:

I'm actually a bit confused by this. Which should I go by for the observation/treatment? Do I add more with each water change?

NO 

I am clueless...

Well we are treating them for flukes and other things .

I was confused at first too but its really easy.

A. FIVE DAY ROUNDS

Day 1: Big WC (>50%), add Prazi. Make sure salt is at the appropriate concentration. This is the beginning of Round 1.

Day 5: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 1.

Day 6: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 2.

Day 10: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 2.

Day 11: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 3.

Day 15: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 3.

Day 16: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 4.

Day 20: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 4.

Day 21: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 5.

Day 25: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 5.

Day 26: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 6.

Day 30: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 6.

This is enough for 6 rounds, should you need to go out that far.

So the ones in Bold are the Prazi days the not bold is the salt day. I would highly suggest getting a scale to weigh out your salt.

As for a qt with water from an old set it. Not nessasary at all. Qt tanks should have there water changed everyday or every other day. You do not need a cycled tank for a QT :)

Also I would remove everything out of the Qt and into your main tank. This gives the fish more room to be treated :) Every time you add things into a tank it takes the water volume out and you do not have the same amount of gallons. So lets say you have a 10 gallon you put all your plants and such in there, now its really only about a 8-9 gallon tank.

2 hours ago, shakaho said:

Is there something wrong with your tap water that makes you want to use old tank water?

There just learning hun :) 

3 hours ago, shakaho said:

No helpful bacteria. I've dealt with problems before that seemed to involve that. At least that's what I was recommended when I started dealing with goldfish 7 years ago.

Edited by GoggleHat

7 minutes ago, GoggleHat said:

No helpful bacteria. I've dealt with problems before that seemed to involve that. At least that's what I was recommended when I started dealing with goldfish 7 years ago.

Hun. Bacteria isn't in the water its in the Filter and in the gravel if you have it. Plants can help with cycling the tank as they consume the ammonia and some nitrates. But to cycle a tank you need ammonia and waste and that comes from fish or other aquatic animals. :) 

5 minutes ago, koko said:

Hun. Bacteria isn't in the water its in the Filter and in the gravel if you have it. Plants can help with cycling the tank as they consume the ammonia and some nitrates. But to cycle a tank you need ammonia and waste and that comes from fish or other aquatic animals. :) 

Well alright then. But please don't treat me like a 5 year old, that's the impression I'm getting from both of you. I'm just looking for information and if I have received incorrect advice before, then you can easily explain it to me without being condescending... I genuinely appreciate the help, but I really hope you consider how that could make me feel.

Edited by GoggleHat