Sign in to follow this  
GoggleHat

New fish has swim bladder and dark spot on fins/scales

I recently received a new 5.5 inch oranda goldfish from an online seller. The fish has been in a 10 gallon quarantine tank with a filter. I change 50% of the water each day to make sure ammonia doesn't get out of hand. But the fish had an infection which spread across its head in the image of an open wound. I treated him with tetracycline for a few days and the infection cleared up. But now he is floating upside down around the tank. I fasted him for a few days, turned the temperature of the water to 80 degrees and after 3 days I attempted to feed him some cooked and skinned peas, but I and not sure he ate much. Could I please get some advice? The last topic I posted here didn't help me at all...

The water has ideal ph, nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia (though the ammonia builds up quickly) He's been this way quite a few days now, swimming around upside-down and gasping frequently...

First, notify the seller of the illness.  The fish should be replaced.  

Please copy & paste the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems.  If copy and paste doesn't work for you, simply quote this post, then put your answers after each question.

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

You need to get Seachem Prime water conditioner to protect your fish from the ammonia build up.  Dosed at least every two days, it will protect the fish from up to 1 ppm ammonia.  The black spots may come from ammonia burns that are healing.  Do you aerate the quarantine tank?  At 80F, the water doesn't hold much oxygen.

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) - 5ppm
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) - 0ppm
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) - 0ppm
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) - 0ppm
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) - 0ppm
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) - 0ppm
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) - 6.0
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) - 6.0
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? - drops, API freshwater master test kit
      • * Water temperature? - 80 degrees
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? - 10 gals. (temporary quarantine tank) Running for 3 weeks
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? - Aqueon Quiet Flow 10
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? - 50% every day (it's a small quarantine tank)
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? - today, 50%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? - 1 5.5 inch oranda goldfish
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? - none
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? - hikari wheat germ (or something like that, the package was destroyed by a cat)
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? - Just the one
  • * Any medications added to the tank? - None
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. - Tetracycline was used a while pack to treat the infection.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? - a few strange black spots on parts of the fins and some scales. Also an infection that seemed to grow out from the wen, appearing like an open wound after a week in quarantine but healed up with the tetracycline treatment.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? - a few days ago he remained at the surface, upside-down and gasping a bit. Today, he's mostly remaining at the bottom of the tank.

8 minutes ago, shakaho said:

You need to get Seachem Prime water conditioner to protect your fish from the ammonia build up.  Dosed at least every two days, it will protect the fish from up to 1 ppm ammonia.  The black spots may come from ammonia burns that are healing.  Do you aerate the quarantine tank?  At 80F, the water doesn't hold much oxygen.

Would that be the best idea? Could Seachem Prime hurt the fish? Also there is an airstone to aerate the tank, that should be fine.

Could you please retest your ph? it is really low. I that would most certainly burn them :o 

1 minute ago, koko said:

Could you please retest your ph? it is really low. I that would most certainly burn them :o 

The ph is neutral. In my experience of owning goldfish it's never been a problem.

Can someone please help me here? The fish is bloated, upside-down, has scales sticking out, gasping, and has parts of its body that appear to be eaten by infection. So far no one has provided me any informative advice.

16 hours ago, GoggleHat said:

The ph is neutral. In my experience of owning goldfish it's never been a problem.

2 hours ago, GoggleHat said:

Can someone please help me here? The fish is bloated, upside-down, has scales sticking out, gasping, and has parts of its body that appear to be eaten by infection. So far no one has provided me any informative advice.

I was trying. :o

Ph being that low with Ammonia being that high is causing the problem. You need to address the high ammonia and I would also check you r KH and GH as this will change over time if it has rained or snowed. 

Also we all volunteer our time here. We try to help when ppl want the help.

If all of what you said in the last post is true, the fish will die.  As I said in the second post of the thread, you should inform the seller that they sold you a sick fish and request a replacement or refund.  

pH 6 is not neutral.  

I received a refund, I just want to save the fish. The test kit said that the ph was in the yellow, which I assume is fine because it's in the low and it's the ph of my tap water which comes from a well. Are you seriously telling me it's completely hopeless to preserve the life of thus creature?

Hope your Goldfish feels better.

40 minutes ago, GoggleHat said:

I received a refund, I just want to save the fish. The test kit said that the ph was in the yellow, which I assume is fine because it's in the low and it's the ph of my tap water which comes from a well. Are you seriously telling me it's completely hopeless to preserve the life of thus creature?

In all honesty with out photos of the fish its hard to tell. But if the fish is as bad as you said then I would have to agree.

Ph that low with ammonia is a bad combination 

I'm sorry.  I didn't realize that you didn't know what pH is.  PH ranges from 0 to 14 and indicates how acidic or basic the water is.  Perfectly pure water has a pH of 7 which is neutral -- neither acidic nor basic.  Water with a pH below 7 is acidic, and water with a pH above 7 is basic.  Goldfish do well at a pH from 7 to 9, although a pH of 7 can be unstable, and goldfish need a stable pH.

A pH test that is yellow indicates that the pH is 6.0 or LOWER.  Goldfish can adapt to a pH of 6.0 if the pH is lowered slowly.  Since most keep goldfish at a pH well above 7, when you put the fish in water with a pH of 6 it suffered pH shock, which led to most of the symptoms you initially reported.  This condition makes the fish unable to combat infections.

You can raise the pH by adding baking soda.  You should do the following:

Do a large water change to lower the ammonia.

Read, record and report the pH

1) Add 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda. Record that you have added that much

2) Wait 30 minutes, then read, record and report the pH again.

If the pH is below below 7, repeat steps 1) and 2).  When you get the pH to 7, add up how much baking soda you have added altogether.  That is the amount of baking soda you must add to 10 gallons of fresh water to raise the pH to 7.

Okay, I will test it again to see and make adjustments accordingly. How can I post photos here? I haven't been able to figure out how to add attachments 

Alright, so I made the beginner mistake of misreading the PH and assuming that with everything, lower is better. I just tested the water and found it has a PH of about 7.5 and ammonia is 0ppm. I added epsom salts earlier to help with the swim bladder and a dose of furan 2 at the recommendation of an aquatics shop owner.

Upload your photos to a host like Photobucket copy and paste them from there.

These are some earlier photos I took of the infection. The bottom two are when it began to spread and the top is before I medicated him with tetracycline. I will try to get some more recent photos, but it may be difficult. Any advice on taking photos for the current symptoms?

1 hour ago, shakaho said:

Upload your photos to a host like Photobucket copy and paste them from there.

Here are the recent photos.

3 hours ago, koko said:

In all honesty with out photos of the fish its hard to tell. But if the fish is as bad as you said then I would have to agree.

Ph that low with ammonia is a bad combination 

Here are some old photos and then the new ones below them.

WOW he's really upside down.

i would suggest for right now is to get a shallow container with just an air stone. Sharon might have ideas more for you :) 

26 minutes ago, koko said:

WOW he's really upside down.

i would suggest for right now is to get a shallow container with just an air stone. Sharon might have ideas more for you :) 

Do you have any suggestions for what kind of container and how I could maintain it?

But he's upside down on the bottom. There's something else going on. Most often, swim bladder issues cause a fish to swim upside down but be stuck at the top. Where did you get these sick fish? Do us a solid and tell us so that we won't make the mistake of ordering from them.