• * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0ppm
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) 10/20ppm
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0.25ppm
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0ppm
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0ppm
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?       API Freshwater Master Test Kit
      • * Water temperature? 76-78 degrees F, unheated
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 75 US gallons, Tank was bought used (original owner has been running it for two years) and we have it for 8 months now.
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?               (1) Aquaclear 75, (1) FLuval 405, (1) Fluval FX6 and an airstone
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?      I do 75-80% water changes every 5/6 days
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 6 days (June 4, 2017) prior to moving the sick fish to a hospital tank (June 10, 2017)
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? four fancies: Ryukin (5"), Orange Ranchu (5"), Tiger Ranchu (4.5") and the sick Tamasaba (3.5")
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Seachem Safe
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? 3x a day. They each get a cube of Repashy Soilent Green (roughly 0.25" x 0.10" x 0.25" in dimension) in the mornings and evening. They get around 1/8 tablespoon of pellets (combination of Azayaka, Ranchu Lord and NorthFin Cichlid) at noon via an Eheim autofeeder
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? None
  • * Any medications added to the tank? None
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. The ryukin and tamasaba (sick fish) came with the used tank and they were given 3 rounds of prazi last November 2017 and last February 2017. These were given because during those months we introduced new fish (which were Quarantined for a month) to the tank. They were given 2 rounds of prazi powder before the new fish was introduced and another round when the new fish was with them in the 75 gallon. I since moved the sick fish to his quarantine tank, tonight will be his last day of his Erythromycin (4 doses), this was the only med I have on hand right now. I also salted the hospital tank (3tsp per gallon; 10tsp added every 12hours). I was giving him NLS HexShield but he only had 2 days (twice a day) of feeding because he refused to eat right now.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? The fish in question has been turning to white (it was a solid yellow), at first I thought it was old age but then it started to lose weight. From time to time, this fish to have red streaks/blood marks on his gills and his chin, I just gently swab the wound with hydrogen peroxide or beta-dine and it takes care of itself. I thought he was hitting something in the tank or was getting bit by the ryukin. On June 10, I found traces of blood on his chin, a zit on his gill plate, a small red spot on his body and a there was blood streak all over his caudal fins.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?     The fish has not been eating  for two days now.

Here are images of the fish:

I usually find traces of blood in his chin and his gill plate. I thought he was getting injuries by hitting stuff inside the tank or from being bullied by my red ryukin during feeding. In that image you can see a trace of blood on his chin. I just treat that with either betadine or hydrogen peroxide. It goes away in a day or two.

bYnuaZr.jpg

But for the last 3 weeks I noticed this fish getting thin and losing his yellow color, he is becoming white. I thought he was just getting old. This particular fish has always been the smallest in the 75 gallon. He never gained any significant growth ever since we got him last September. He came with the used tank we bought, the original owner said he was from Raingarden.  I saw this zit like wound on his gill plate. With him losing color and weight, I am deeply concerned. They just had 2 rounds of prazi last February. I also gave them Hexshield (twice a day) for three days after said prazi round.

629YNLx.jpg

Here are more images of the fish -

I did test the water in the tank with API Master Test kit and ph is at 7.6 and High Range Ph is at 7.4. Water coming out of the tap gave me the same result. Other results from the aquarium are: Ammonia and Nitrites are at 0ppm; Nitrate is ate either 10 or 20 ppm (can't tell the difference in color based on chart). He was house in our 75 gallon with three other fish. The aquarium is filtered with an AquaClear 75 and a couple of canisters (a Fluval 405 and and FX6, both filters have spray bars for output). My media is a combination of foams (all of which have been installed in January), ceramic rings and filter floss. There where a couple of bags of purigen in the AC75 which I religiously take out and replace when they are filthy. The AC75 is cleaned everytime I do my weekly water changes while the canisters are cleaned once a month, but I do not cleaned both canisters at the same time (I clean the other canister after a week of servicing the other one). I do 75-80% water changes every 5/6 days and used Seachem safe to treat the entire tank volume. The only thing out of routine that I did was added fertilizers (EasyGreen and EasyIron; 1 squirt per gallon so I did like 7 squirts of each ferts).

I have since placed the fish in a 10 gallon QT (uncycled and heated) which gets daily 75% water change. Still awaiting for the Triple Sulfa I ordered online. The fish lost a lot of weight and color, there are a lot of blood streak on his fins, particularly on the caudal. He also lost his appetite and hasn't eaten in 3 days.

He is on his 3rd dose of Erythromycin (last dose is tonight). I also added aquarium salt (3tsp per gallon; 10tsp added every 12hours). I was giving him NLS HexShield but he only had 2 days (twice a day) of feeding because he refused to eat right now.

I have already read a couple of threads here, google and on GFK regarding Septicemia. I would really appreciate all the help I can get.

Edited by muffluvin

The 75 gallon aquarium is filtered with an AquaClear 75 and a couple of canisters (a Fluval 405 and and FX6, both filters have spray bars for output). My media is a combination of foams (all of which have been installed in January), ceramic rings and filter floss. There were a couple of bags of purigen in the AC75 which I religiously take out and replace when they are filthy. The AC75 is cleaned every time I do my weekly water changes while the canisters are cleaned once a month, but I do not cleane both canisters at the same time (I clean the other canister after a week of servicing the other one). I do 75-80% water changes every 5/6 days and used Seachem safe to treat the entire tank volume. The only thing out of routine that I did prior to him having said issue was adding fertilizers (EasyGreen and EasyIron; 1 squirt per gallon so I did like 7 squirts of each ferts).

Bad news, wife told me the fish has been bottom sitting the whole day. I just finished changing 75% of his water (dechlorinated and temperature matched). Kinda sad to see him like this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Man.

Well I would keep this fish in the QT for now. I would also like to suggest not feeding Gel food in the main tank with Canisters, it just makes to much Gunk and then some fish either get white dots or they get this bacterial infection.

I would do for now since he just was on a treatment is just give him .3% salt in his Qt and do 100% water changes every day :) 

38 minutes ago, koko said:

Man.

Well I would keep this fish in the QT for now. I would also like to suggest not feeding Gel food in the main tank with Canisters, it just makes to much Gunk and then some fish either get white dots or they get this bacterial infection.

I would do for now since he just was on a treatment is just give him .3% salt in his Qt and do 100% water changes every day :) 

Thanks Shannon, yeah I read that 45+ pages of thread (the day I quarantined him) where in the end a breeder told you that thing about the gel food. Kinda bummed me a lot because I am pretty anal when it comes to my tanks and filters' upkeep.

Tonight he'll be done with erythromycin so yeah, just keep him in .3% salt. I have triple sulfa incoming (on Saturday), you think I should give him that after a couple of days of break from meds. Last night, I nearly broke down when my wife told me to just let go of the fish. We just lost our betta (Bart) last week and you know, kinda sucks with the timing and all.

The salt did get rid of the red spot on his body and took care of the zit but the fish is lethargic and bottom sitting right now. He still has no appetite.

Thanks for the help

Edited by muffluvin

Hope Elton feels better.

2 minutes ago, DawnMichele said:

Hope Elton feels better.

Thanks Dawn

4 hours ago, muffluvin said:

Thanks Shannon, yeah I read that 45+ pages of thread (the day I quarantined him) where in the end a breeder told you that thing about the gel food. Kinda bummed me a lot because I am pretty anal when it comes to my tanks and filters' upkeep.

Tonight he'll be done with erythromycin so yeah, just keep him in .3% salt. I have triple sulfa incoming (on Saturday), you think I should give him that after a couple of days of break from meds. Last night, I nearly broke down when my wife told me to just let go of the fish. We just lost our betta (Bart) last week and you know, kinda sucks with the timing and all.

The salt did get rid of the red spot on his body and took care of the zit but the fish is lethargic and bottom sitting right now. He still has no appetite.

Thanks for the help

I would just try and give him frozen blood worms. Most will try and eat them. If not you could soak it in some Garlic juice and feed it that way too.

Lets see how he is on Sat hun :) Try the garlic Blood worms :) 

I know the pain, have lost a lot the past and one is still dear to my heart :) 

I would just try and give him frozen blood worms. Most will try and eat them. If not you could soak it in some Garlic juice and feed it that way too.
Lets see how he is on Sat hun  Try the garlic Blood worms  
I know the pain, have lost a lot the past and one is still dear to my heart  

Thank you

100% water change done with 0.3% aquarium salt. I moved him to a critter keeper with an airstone while I cleaned the QT. I soaked a gumdrop sized ball of frozen bloodworms in garlic and gave it to him. He ate 80% of the stuff and he was mobile inside the critter keeper. He's back in the QT bottom sitting again

But the zit on the gill plate is almost gone. The red marks on the body is gone as well. It is just the blood streaks in his fins.

Hope he makes it. Thanks for the help guys. 2d0ca6492cbac4b62f12b286c51cadb7.jpg

Well that is good news so far. Don't give up yet :) 

That is bad!  I would try oxytetracycline immediately if you have it on hand, but he looks like he might not make it even with that.  What do you think, Koko? 

7 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

That is bad!  I would try oxytetracycline immediately if you have it on hand, but he looks like he might not make it even with that.  What do you think, Koko? 

Well I would say if the fish is trying to eat, we got hope hun. :)

How is the fish today :) 

Well I would say if the fish is trying to eat, we got hope hun. How is the fish today    

https://youtu.be/17F3pQt403o

There are spurts of movement in between bottom sitting. The blood streaks on his fins are fading as well.

Major improvement, thanks for telling about the garlic-soaked bloodworms.

Keep feeding him that hun. This is good news :) 

Keep feeding him that hun. This is good news  

Yup. Massive improvement, he's moving more.

Look at him swimming around like nothing :teehee

Awesome hun. :) 

Yeah, can't believe this guy

He drove me nuts for almost a week.

Still bottom sitting from time to time with spurts of movement.

Thanks Shannon

38 minutes ago, muffluvin said:

Yeah, can't believe this guy emoji4.png

He drove me nuts for almost a week.

Still bottom sitting from time to time with spurts of movement.

Thanks Shannon

Lets hope he keeps on going like this :) 

Glad Elton is doing better!!!!  :thumbup2:

Did 100% water change this morning. Dude was all around the tank. I placed the carbon on the tank last saturday to get rid of the traces of the medication. He has a few ammonia burns so I triple the dose of prime and placed a bag of purigen.

What a turnaround!  He looks fantastic!  You may be able to get away with just the garlic treatment.  Just goes to show it's hard to predict which fish will recover and which will succumb.  He's definitely s fighter.

Lets hope he keeps on going like this  

Should I start him on triple sulfa or just keep him in salt? Thanks