Sign in to follow this  
SynthHermit

Pineconed Telescope

Hey all! Seems like I'm going through my yearly period where my tank/fish have issues again.
First, I lost my big guy Picasso and my large black telescope out of the blue. Bottom sitting one day, gone the next. Alice and Maury, my lemonhead oranda and black ranchu, were totally uneffected. Left the tank alone for a month or so (aside from water changes), and about a month ago purchased a couple butterfly telescopes from Dandy Orandas (Woo!). Now one of those newbies has been showing some pineconing, and since it's been quite some time since I've had to deal with that I want to make sure I have my ducks in a row.

I noticed signs of the pineconing last week (May 6), and moved him into the QT bin the next day. Started with Metroplex and Kanaplex the same day, and just administered the 3rd dose tonight. Epsom salt went in last night (1/2 tsp for 20G), as I had forgotten about adding epsoms until I found the box on my search for the medicated food (also started yesterday, found a bottle at work after loosing mine).

Pictures : May 6 vs Last night.

Am I forgetting anything? Or has anything regarding the methods used to treat the underlying causes of pine coning/dropsy changed?

• * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0
  • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
  • * Nitrate level(Tank) ~20
  • * Ammonia Level(Tap)0
  • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
  • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 6.8
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 6.8
  • Other Required Info:
    • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Drops
    • * Water temperature? 77F
    • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 20G QT, 46G Main
    • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Deep Blue Sponge Filter
    • * How often do you change the water and how much? Weekly, 75% on main tank
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? None yet, QT only running for 1 week so far. Being done tomorrow.
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 4" in QT, 3 other 4" in main
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Repashy Soilent Green, every other day normally. Currently feeding medicated food in QT.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? The two teles a month ago.
  • * Any medications added to the tank? Kanaplex, Metroplex, and Epsom in water, & Jungle's Anti-Parasite medicated food.
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Not sure what DO does for QT, but only the above listed meds while with me.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Just the pine coning.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Will sometimes see him sitting on the bottom, always perks up as soon as he sees me nearby

Hi, I'm sorry your fish isn't doing well. 

What are the ingredients in the parasite medication? Is there a reason you are feeding medicated food for parasites? Dropsy is not a parasite, so I do not know how well that is going to be helping your fish. Persoanlly, I think it is kind of overkill to be treating both those medications plus the parasite medicated food.

For the metroplex and kanaplex, start dosing, and then a 100% water change daily and redose them for a total of 14 doses. (It has been a while since I used these, so any of the mods pleases check my informon on this and correct if needed) You will want the water as pristine as possible and doing it this way will ensure that. Your temperature is perfect where it is at. 

For the 20 gallon tank, add 1 TEAspoon of Epsom salt to the water. 

I do see some problems. Could you give the dimensions of that 46G tank?  Usually tanks of that volume lack swimming and surface area in favor of height.  

Sponge filters give good biofiltration, but work best coupled with a HOB filter.

What water change schedule do you use in the quarantine tank? 50% every  second day should work well. Your medications appear appropriate.  When you added  two teles a month ago, how long had they been quarantined?  When you say a fish is 4 inches long did you include the tail (total length)? 

Repashy soilent green was not intended as a goldfish food. While goldfish do pretty well on it,  I suggest combining it with goldfish pellets.

Why do you feed every other day? In nature, goldfish eat continuously, eating small amounts of whatever (typically low nutrition) food they can find.  Feeding every other day works well when cycling a tank, but otherwise it seems rather hard on the fish.

Hope your Goldfish feels better.

Do me a fav and stop feeding the Gel food. With just a sponge filter in there  you might just have a lot of gunk in there.

Could we have some photos of the fish and the main tank :) 

I started on the parasite meds due to there being no improvement whatsoever with the Metro and Kanaplex and wanting to cover all my bases.
The ingredients aren't listed on the bottle, I'll have to go digging the internet to see if I can find them listed somewhere since the foods no longer made.

The 46G is 36x18", only a couple inches taller than a 40 breeder. The sponge is only running the QT since my spare HOB broke, the main tank has a 550GPH canister.
No W/C has been done on the QT yet, doing it today. I had to wait until after the 3rd dose of Kanaplex before doing it.

The fish are about 3-4" without fins. They were QT'd for 4 weeks with me, and Ken from Dandy Orandas when I spoke with him said he has had them since last fall. Feeding every other day is due to my crazy current work schedule (finally changing, thank god). Once I'm not working a load of overtime and have some extra time to spend with the tanks, feeding will go back to being daily.

Main Tank. Scuse the algae/water level, water change day is today.

QT Tub

When was the canister last cleaned out. I mean by that, media rinsed and the water dumped out? 

About a month ago. The goldfish and axolotls are on the same 3 month schedule, neither canister gets too gross during that period.