Sign in to follow this  
Bmitchell486

Heater Recommendation for Pond

I am looking for a heater recommendation for my pond.  Please note I plan on using these during the spring/summer/fall.  I will NOT be using these once outdoor temps are lower than 60 at night, so I am not looking for a winter heater.

Background Info:
- I have an above ground outdoor 110 gallon stocktank pond.
- I have 6 TVR's.  Grew them out in there last summer, started ~1 inch, and now they range from 3in to 5in tl.
- The stocktank spent the winter in my basement, and I just put it outside a few days ago.
- I plan on putting three 3-4 inch east coast ranchu out there for the summer to grow them out before they will reside in their permanent home in an indoor tank. (Don't worry, I have been keeping up 10-20% daily water changes, and 50% once/twice week water changes for a year.  While it is overstocked with 9 fish, I consistently test my water 1-2 times a week.  The 3 ECR's have been in there with the 6 TVR's since I got them.  But when I moved the stocktank outside a few days ago, I put the 3 ECR's into an indoor tank while I think through the fluctuating temp issue)

I've watched several knowledgeable hobbiests, and 1 professional breeder have significant problems with their outdoor fish this spring.  Therdeye_Goldies on Instagram lost 30 dandy oranda fish in his outdoor above ground stocktank pond.  Kittylovestofu on Instagram lost several of her very large ryukins from KingKoi in her outdoor pond.  And most notably, Jennie from SolidGold lost most of her stock, including her prized Clyde.

I've heard year after year that springtime can bring about problems, for a whole variety of reasons.  But this year I've noticed it more than ever.  Before putting my 3 ECR's outside, I reached out to Cynthia to see what she thinks.  She advised the normal prazi prevention (already done) and to consider a week of antiprotizoan food to get ahead as well.  But her biggest concern is temperature fluctuations that occur in small above ground ponds.  In Ohio, we're in the 80's during the day and 60's at night.  Since her stock is raised in consistent 70 degree temps, she thinks a variation of more than 5-10 degrees each day (while they are acclimating to day/night temp changes) could stress them out bad enough that they could succumb to illness.  I imagine temp fluctuations are greater in smaller above ground ponds than they are in natural larger ponds.  I have started taking AM, Midday, and PM temps to see what the fluctuations are.

Okay, I am long winded.  Sorry, I get antsy when I see knowledgeable hobbiests and a professional lose their stock.  I still want my ECR's to spend the summer outside.  My idea is to put aquarium heaters set to 70-75 degrees, so that the water doesn't get too much cooler at night.  

Okay, since I anticipate fluctuations between AM and PM to be greater than 5 degrees:

Any recommendations on heaters?
What do you think of the idea, in general? Stupid?

I am looking at these:
- Two Aqueon Pro 250 Watt
- OR
- Two Eheim Jager 300 Watt

Thanks in advance for the help/advice!

Edited by Bmitchell486

I would use the two 400 watt.  I have one 400 watt in my 55 gallon pond and it seems to work barely.  I still cover it in the winter time.

3 hours ago, Hidr said:

I would use the two 400 watt.  I have one 400 watt in my 55 gallon pond and it seems to work barely.  I still cover it in the winter time.

Is it barely working in the summertime? Or barely working during the winter? What brand do you have?

Edited by Bmitchell486

It has trouble keeping the pond warm enough in the winter is what I meant.  Don't remember brand.

You might try insulating the tank itself. I do this with the tanks in my garage in winter. Styrofoam on the rectangle tanks and I've used fiberglass batting on my tubs. I put the fiberglass in trash can bag tubes (ends cut open) to prevent it from getting wet. I have an uninsulated 110g tub outside ATM with a 300w heater and am getting temp fluctuations 10-15 degrees still. This is for tropical lilies and is in full sun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk