Sign in to follow this  
clhall18

Goldfish eye damaged by siphon

I feel really terrible, I let my bubble eye goldfish get stuck in my siphon during a water change last Thursday. She is still eating well, but definitely lethargic compared to how she used to be. She just sits in the corner unless I feed them. I think her eye is going to fall out, my question is should I cut off some of the obviously dead tissue or just leave her alone? Pictures are just after it happened on Thursday, then Saturday, then today: c51cbe08e9805ae78c0206ac8c310abb.jpgcd759a49f86331c6df31929e4630d97e.jpgb26d0e5fedfe72391d40a702195b26b0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The best thing for this kind of injury is clean water and aquarium salt .1% just to keep infection at bay.

If need be you can put him in a QT so you can keep a better eye on him (no pun intended ) :) 

The bubble should reinflate but that redness and white is not good.  Put him in his own quarantine and run it with salt, as Koko said. We may also consider adding in methylene blue if you have it on hand.

Yea I'm concerned by how much white tissue and flaking is going on... I have some paraguard but that's the only Med I have right now (other than salt). Unfortunately my quarantine tank is already occupied with some new fish for tropical tank so I don't have another place to put her. The other fish aren't bothering her but I'm watching closely. I really think the whole eye is done for :(. I can see part of the iris starting to peel out where the cornea is ruptured... poor baby girl. Anyways, I'll keep things super clean and keep you guys updated, thank you so much for you input.

Hope her eye feels better.

You don't need anything special for a quarantine tank.  Just get a plastic storage box that holds about 10 gallons of water.

Update: she is acting completely back to normal and her eye completely fell out. I did nothing except make sure water quality was good. I think the black tissue is just hyperpigmented healing tissue but it's hard to see in the photos cause she's back to her wiggly self! 8c7c8b26a6ad10e49b16a1b66b7b1804.jpg1d085e4103988f1db8ca5d4be2c16206.jpg1f3cbfb66e28825a7c7a053fe35f3ba5.jpg0a833642e7f0a8f82650a4285ed18a8a.jpg

Awe poor little one. Im glad she is doing better :) May loose that eye but only time will tell and good water conditions like your doing is great :thumbs: