Sign in to follow this  
shelbysfish

"Zit" on Goldfish?

9 hours ago, koko said:

If it was on your plants it could have gotten sucked up and into your filter :o 

Is it bad for the tank? 

2 hours ago, shelbysfish said:

Is it bad for the tank? 

No not really it will take over your plants thats about it. Plus its making your water green :teehee 

40 minutes ago, koko said:

No not really it will take over your plants thats about it. Plus its making your water green :teehee 

SO THAT COULD BE PART OF IT TOO!!!!! 

HOW DO I GET RID OF IT. :madrant:lol3

I apologize if this has been asked before, but what is your photo period on your tank lights?  How long are they running and how much sunlight does the tank get?

6 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

I apologize if this has been asked before, but what is your photo period on your tank lights?  How long are they running and how much sunlight does the tank get?

Sunlight, not much - I keep the window in my room closed. Light is on all day, so I'm sure that's part of the problem. 8am - 9pm. Been trying to turn it on in between!

@koko BAD UPDATE!!! D:

Soxxie isn't looking good at all. She has started having clamped fins and floating upside down. Then she brings herself back upright and swims along. Tonight she is staying at the top stagnate. :cryI found her stuck behind the filter, had to save her. now she's clamped even more.

I'm at such a loss for what to do. Mae is fine, Beauty is still bottom sitting but she comes up and swims normal.

sadfish.jpg

sadfish1.jpg

sadfish2.jpg

I think she deprived herself of oxygen. 

I have hit the report for the Mods. Waiting for them :) 

That's pretty ugly. I doubt the oxygen levels caused this. This thread is too long for me to totally review right now. My pond water is green like that and none of my fish have issues with swimming and none stay at the top. First order is to lessen her stress... Floating fish don't belong in deep tanks. Do you have a shallow tote for her? 

3 hours ago, mjfromga said:

That's pretty ugly. I doubt the oxygen levels caused this. This thread is too long for me to totally review right now. My pond water is green like that and none of my fish have issues with swimming and none stay at the top. First order is to lessen her stress... Floating fish don't belong in deep tanks. Do you have a shallow tote for her? 

Well it's just that the green and and awful cloudiness is new and we weren't having issues when it was clear. ?

Came home and she was stuck to the filter again. She is acting like she hasn't been able to get oxygen because she keeps gettng stuck and just super topsy tirvey. just transferred her to a storage container. I'm adding Prime and a wonder shell, do I need to put a sponge filter in there? Daily water changes? ?

@koko

Daily water changes. If she's stuck to the filter intake then she's really weak. Has she been medicated? 

You have a deep tank with a small surface area.  That limits gas exchange and diffusion.  Green water algae photosynthesize during the day, producing oxygen, but when the light goes away, they can only metabolize like us and and fish -- using oxygen and releasing carbon dioxide.  Goldfish can tolerate very low oxygen for quite a long time, but low oxygen stresses the body.  A stressed fish can't fight off infections.

As Myra pointed out, a shallow, spacious tote like this or this works best for floaty fish.

Hope Soxxie feels better.

36 minutes ago, shakaho said:

You have a deep tank with a small surface area.  That limits gas exchange and diffusion.  Green water algae photosynthesize during the day, producing oxygen, but when the light goes away, they can only metabolize like us and and fish -- using oxygen and releasing carbon dioxide.  Goldfish can tolerate very low oxygen for quite a long time, but low oxygen stresses the body.  A stressed fish can't fight off infections.

As Myra pointed out, a shallow, spacious tote like this or this works best for floaty fish.

Yes I moved Soxxy in a tote very similar to the second one you linked. Thank you! 

44 minutes ago, mjfromga said:

Daily water changes. If she's stuck to the filter intake then she's really weak. Has she been medicated? 

She was last month with Prazi, the whole tank was but she started acting normal again and just since yesterday starting playing down by the filter intake and getting herself stuck. ?

Poor thing is upside down in her plastic tub. :( I have a wonder shell in there as well.

I will probably recommend medication here. She seems like she's sick. I always try medicated metronidazole food for primary infections. Let's see what someone else thinks. If she's getting stuck and hiding and etc. I think it's more than a swim bladder or oxygen issue. Especially since you say it's new behavior. 

2 hours ago, mjfromga said:

I will probably recommend medication here. She seems like she's sick. I always try medicated metronidazole food for primary infections. Let's see what someone else thinks. If she's getting stuck and hiding and etc. I think it's more than a swim bladder or oxygen issue. Especially since you say it's new behavior. 

This is what I'm thinking. She is now completely floating upside down but still alive!!

I thought with swim bladder it causes them to be upside down as well? Do you have a brand I should look at the fish store for? Never heard of metronidazole food. 

Edited by shelbysfish

They do not directly sell the food. You'll have to make the food by mixing the metro with a type of food. Gel food works best for this but pellets work too. Swim bladder disease can make them turn upside down, but it doesn't cause clamping or getting stuck to the filter. 

20 minutes ago, mjfromga said:

They do not directly sell the food. You'll have to make the food by mixing the metro with a type of food. Gel food works best for this but pellets work too. Swim bladder disease can make them turn upside down, but it doesn't cause clamping or getting stuck to the filter. 

If she does have swim bladder would this help as well? 

Can I at least get the metro from the fish store? How much would I add to gel food? Thank you!!

13 minutes ago, shelbysfish said:

If she does have swim bladder would this help as well? 

Can I at least get the metro from the fish store? How much would I add to gel food? Thank you!!

Here is one to look for at the LFS.

https://www.amazon.com/SEACHEM-LABORATORIES-INC-METROPLEX-GRAM/dp/B007R5M89C?ie=UTF8&keywords=metronidazole fish food&qid=1497061192&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

If not you could order it hun. 

4 minutes ago, koko said:

Thank you!!! I think my fish store actually has that! I'll check tomorrow, if not I will order it but I worry about Sox not making it. :( 

How much would I add in the gel food mix?

I have Seachem Kanaplex on hand, but I'm guessing that isn't the same?

It isn't the same and while you could use it, it's not the medication I would choose for this issue. Let's hope she makes it. Poor little mite.